ANZ Home Insurance

Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

ANZ House and Contents Insurance Review

Get a multi-policy discount when you sign up for both house and contents insurance with ANZ.

No reviews yet. Write a review

ANZ is New Zealand’s largest financial services group, with house and contents insurance among its comprehensive range of insurance products. ANZ house and contents insurance gives you security for unforeseen events with simple and convenient cover. You can also enjoy discount benefits if you take out two or more policies.

ANZ is a provider who understands the lifestyles of everyday Kiwis, which is why it has tailored its house insurance policy to cover residential property, rental investments and lifestyle blocks as required. ANZ insurance policies are underwritten by Vero, which has an A+ Insurer Financial Strength Rating.

ANZ cover options

ANZ provides separate house and contents insurance policies, with optional extensions to match your unique situation.

House insurance

Name Product Cover to sum insured amount Legal Liability Temporary Accommodation Keys and Locks
ANZ House Insurance
$30,000 or up to 5% of your sum insured, whichever is greater

Compare up to 4 providers

ANZ’s house insurance policy is called the ANZ Asset Protector – Home Building Insurance.

This cover insures your house for the full-cost of repair or rebuilding if accidentally damaged. There are options to add extra cover if you’re a landlord or you own a lifestyle block.

What it covers:

  • Accidental loss or damage
  • Natural disasters
  • Gradual damage
  • Retaining walls
  • Damage caused by authorities
  • Demolition and removal of debris
  • Professional fees
  • Rebuilding elsewhere
  • Statutory requirements
  • Stolen or lost keys
  • Tree removal
  • Water or sewage pipe blockage
  • Power generation equipment
  • New building work
  • Resetting or reprogramming security system
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Environmental improvements
  • Landscaping
  • ANZ mortgage payment
  • Property owner’s liability

Optional extras

Landlord’s extension:

Need landlord insurance? This is extra cover you can take out on top of house insurance to protect your appliances, furnishings and rental income from accidental or malicious damage caused by tenants.

What it covers:

  • Accidental loss or damage to certain appliances and furnishings
  • Malicious damage or theft by tenants, or guests invited by tenants
  • Loss of rent due to property damage
  • Liability for tenant’s property
Lifestyle block:

If you own a lifestyle block, you can add extra cover to protect your lifestyle block buildings, as well as machinery, tools, bikes, tractors and trailers.

What it covers:

  • Repair or rebuilding costs of lifestyle block buildings
  • Fixed plant and machinery, produce and other assets
  • Farm bikes, tractors and trailers (up to the sum insured)
  • Natural disaster
  • Worrying of stock
  • Legal liability for accidental loss or damage to someone else’s property
  • Accidental bodily injury
  • Liability for reparation

Contents insurance

Name Product Legal Liability Accidental Damage Jewellery and Watches (Per Item) Credit Card (Illegal Use)
ANZ Contents Insurance

Compare up to 4 providers

If you’re a homeowner or a renter, ANZ Asset Protector – Contents will replace or repair your belongings if accidentally lost or damaged, anywhere in New Zealand. The minimum amount of cover is $40,000.

What it covers:

  • Accidental loss or damage to possessions
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Occupiers and personal liability
  • Gradual damage
  • Boarding school
  • Tertiary accommodation
  • Business tools
  • Credit and debit cards
  • Damage caused by authorities
  • Home office or healthcare practice
  • Misuse of mobile/cellular phones
  • Stolen or lost keys
  • Tenant’s improvements
  • Moving house
  • Storage of contents
  • Gifts

Optional benefits:

  • Business tools extension
  • Excess refund
  • Moving house extension
  • Storage of contents extension

What does ANZ not cover?

There are certain events that ANZ won’t pay out for should you make a claim, known as policy exclusions. You can find these in the product disclosure statement (PDS) which you should read carefully before committing.

Some general exclusions you won’t be able to make a claim for include:

  • Damage to swimming or spa pools caused by hydrostatic pressure
  • Mechanical or electronic breakdown or failure
  • Any defect in design or an inherent fault
  • Wear and tear
  • Insects or vermin (except possums)
  • Any defect in workmanship
  • Damage caused by cleaning, renovating, repairing or restoring
  • Corrosion or rust
  • Mechanically propelled vehicles
  • Vehicle accessories in or on a vehicle
  • Livestock and pets
  • Trees, shrubs and plants
  • Medical appliances or prosthesis
  • Custom written software or data

How can I save on ANZ house and contents insurance?

ANZ offers customers a multi-policy discount, which means if you take out two or more eligible insurance policies you’ll receive a discount on your premium. House, contents, boat and car insurance policies are eligible for this discount.

How do I make an ANZ house and contents insurance claim?

You can make a house or contents insurance claim online through the Vero Claims Portal. You’ll need your ANZ policy number, details of what’s happened and the people involved to hand.

Alternatively, you can call 0800 269 252 or email for new claims.

After you’ve reported your claim Vero will be in touch within two business days to advise what happens next.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Go to site