AA Insurance

Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

AA House and Contents Insurance Review

AA offers house and content insurance policies to cover you no matter what your circumstances. Get peace of mind today.

AA Insurance is an independently operated joint venture between the New Zealand Automobile Association (NZAA) and Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited (VINZL). It has provided insurance products for Kiwis since 1994 and has over 430,000 customers. When it comes to paying out insurance claims, AA Insurance has a financial strength rating of A+ (strong) and has been voted the ‘Most Trusted General Insurer’ in the Reader’s Digest Trusted Brands survey for ten years running.

Whether you’re a homeowner after a house and contents package, a renter looking for basic cover or a landlord wanting to protect a rental investment, then AA Insurance has a range of policies to suit. This provider makes it easy to get a quote online, and once you’re set up, you’ll be able to manage your policy and make claims online with your own My AA account.

AA Insurance cover options

AA Insurance provides a number of policy options for both house insurance and contents insurance, depending on whether you’re a homeowner, landlord or renter.

House insurance

If the unthinkable happens and all or part of your home is damaged or destroyed, AA house insurance has your back.

Name Product Cover to sum insured amount Legal Liability Temporary Accommodation Keys and Locks
AA House Insurance
Replacement value up to the total sum insured

Compare up to 4 providers

AA house insurance covers things like:

  • Home replacement value up to the total sum insured
  • Retaining walls
  • Hidden water damage
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Replacement of keys or locks
  • Natural disasters
  • Keys and locks

You can add on an optional extra for excess-free glass cover, which covers glass for windows, doors and built-in furniture.

Use the AA house insurance calculator to make sure you have the right level of cover to rebuild your property.

Contents insurance

Protect your precious belongings from theft, loss and damage with AA contents insurance, which comes with optional extras to help keep costs down.

Name Product Legal Liability Accidental Damage Jewellery and Watches (Per Item) Credit Card (Illegal Use)
AA Contents Insurance
AA Limited Contents Insurance

Compare up to 4 providers

AA contents insurance covers things like:

  • New for old replacement where possible
  • Excess-free cover for food spoilage
  • Hidden water damage
  • Moving home
  • Contents in storage
  • Adjustable limits for certain items
  • Legal liability

You can choose to add on optional extras such as reducing your excess to $100 for eyewear and excess-free hearing aid cover.

Use the AA contents insurance calculator to break down the value of your contents room-by-room to get your sum insured total.

House and contents insurance package

It’s common for homeowners to buy house insurance and contents insurance at the same time. AA has recognised this with their House and Contents Insurance Package. The benefit of this package is that, because you’re taking out two policies at once, you can receive a Multi Policy Discount.

Landlord insurance

When you rent to tenants, you can rest assured your investment and income is protected with AA landlord insurance.

AA landlord insurance covers things like:

  • Home replacement value up to the total sum insured
  • Loss of rent
  • Hidden water damage
  • Natural disasters
  • Electronic equipment
  • Legal liability

You can also choose AA Insurance’s optional extended cover for:

  • Malicious damage or theft
  • Two months worth of rent in case of evictions
  • Illegal drug decontamination and repair

What does AA Insurance not cover?

AA house and contents insurance doesn’t cover every single situation, even though you might think you should be insured for it. Always read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before you buy a policy so you’re aware of the exclusions.

For example, AA Insurance won’t cover you for:

  • Intentional damage by you, family members or guests
  • Wear and tear or gradual damage
  • Existing damage
  • Damage or loss caused by pests and pets
  • Loss from faulty workmanship
  • Loss from structural alterations
  • Loss, cost or liability from pollution or contamination
  • Loss resulting from land damage
  • Loss resulting from cleaning or restoration
  • War, terrorism or nuclear incidents
  • Loss of electronic data
  • Mechanical or electrical breakdowns
  • Loss of contents removed from your home
  • Confiscation of your contents
  • Stock, property or materials used for earning income

How can I save on AA house and contents insurance?

There are a number of ways you can save on AA house and contents insurance. Here’s how you can do it:

  • Multi Policy Discount. If you take up two or more policies with AA Insurance, like their house and contents package, you’ll be eligible for a discount on your premiums.
  • AA members. AA members receive a discount on selected policies depending on how long membership has been held. The longer you’re a member the larger the annual discount.
  • Choose a higher excess. The larger the excess, the smaller the premium.
  • Pay your premium annually. You’ll pay less if you pay in a lump sum.
  • Check the sum insured for your house and contents. Make sure your sum insured is accurate so you don’t pay more than necessary.
  • Install a security alarm. A security alarm installed on your premises can lower the cost of your premium.

How do I make an AA house or contents insurance claim?

If your house has been damaged through theft, burglary or vandalism, then the safety of everyone involved should come first. Call the police immediately and then secure your home if possible.

Next you should report your claim online or call AA insurance on 0800 500 216 if it’s urgent.

To make processing claims as easy and stress-free as possible you’ll need to provide:

  • Your AHM or AHL policy number
  • The details of what happened
  • The date and time the incident occurred
  • The details of anyone else involved
  • As much detail as possible about the damaged, lost or stolen items.
  • If you’ve had a break-in you’ll need to report it to the police first to get a file number to use in your claim.
  • You can upload photos, documents or other evidence to support your claim.

An AA Insurance Customer Manager will keep you informed about the progress of your claim and organise the repair or replacement of your house and/or contents so you can get back to normal as soon as possible.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Go to site