Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Westpac credit cards
Compare Westpac credit card products, including a low rate card, cards that reward you for everyday spending and cards that offer travel privileges and benefits.
Whether you’re looking to save on interest charges, earn rewards or access exclusive benefits, you’ll find a matching Westpac credit card product. You also have a choice of rewards, with Westpac hotpoints and Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars on offer.
One of Australia’s biggest banks, Westpac, has been active in New Zealand since 1861 offering consumer and business banking services across the nation and now includes various credit cards packed with features.
Compare Westpac credit cards
Finder does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
Types of credit cards available
There are many ways you can turn your credit card spend into rewards with Westpac. One option is through solid earning rates via Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars. If you regularly carry a balance on your credit card, consider the Westpac Low Rate Mastercard, which offers a low rate to help you save on interest charges. Here are your other options with Westpac:
- Premium credit cards. Westpac’s two World Mastercard products, the Airpoints World Mastercard and the hotpoints World Mastercard, are geared to help you get more out of life, including access to special travel privileges. Both cards charge a relatively high annual fee of $390. Still, in return, you get accelerated rewards earning rates and perks, including a Priority Pass which gives the main cardholder access to over 900 airport lounges worldwide.
- Rewards credit cards. Apply for a Westpac hotpoints Mastercard to participate in the Westpac rewards earnings scheme. You have a choice of three cards with incrementally higher earnings rates. However, higher earnings rates are matched to higher annual fees. You can exchange your hotpoints anywhere Mastercard is accepted using “hotpoints Pay”, so check out the Westpac website for information on how to use hotpoints Pay. Your hotpoints can be exchanged on the hotpoints website for a wide range of goods such as technology, books, magazines, and homewares; plus, you can top up the payment with dollars if you find you do not have enough hotpoints. You can even make contributions towards an existing Westpac KiwiSaver Scheme account using hotpoints. A minimum of 3,600 hotpoints (equal to $20) needs to be transferred.
- Airpoints credit cards. Frequent travellers could think about applying for one of the Westpac Airpoints credit cards as these earn rewards with Air New Zealand’s loyalty programme. Choose from a standard, Platinum or World Mastercard. The higher tier Airpoints cards offer increasing Airpoints Dollars earnings on your credit card spend, along with a higher annual fee. Exchange the Airpoints Dollars you earn for flights with Air New Zealand or a range of other goods and experiences at the Airpoints Store.
- Balance transfer credit cards. Every Westpac credit card comes with a balance transfer offer. If you have a balance with a different credit card company, you can transfer that balance to your Westpac credit card (95% of the available credit limit). The current rate on offer is 5.95% p.a. valid for the life of the balance.
- Low rate credit card. Enjoy no annual fee with the Westpac Low Rate Mastercard. If you pay your balance in full, you also enjoy 55 days of interest-free credit too. Any balance you carry past the interest-free period is subject to an interest rate of 12.90% p.a.
- Business credit cards. Westpac offers rewards-earning credit cards for businesses too. Your business can choose between the Airpoints Business Mastercard and the BusinessPLUS Mastercard with hotpoints. Either way, you can manage your business spending while getting something back when applying for a Westpac business credit card product. Westpac also offers a charge card, the Business Mastercard and a prepaid card option, the Business Prepaid Mastercard.
Benefits of banking with Westpac
- Get something back when you use your card. Every personal Westpac credit card, except for the Westpac Low Rate Mastercard, is enrolled with a rewards programme which earns you either Airpoints Dollars or Westpac hotpoints. Westpac rewards cards offer a choice between a higher annual fee with a high rewards earnings rate and a lower annual fee with a more modest rewards earnings rate.
- Travel perks and privileges. Apply for one of the premium Westpac Mastercard products, and you could enjoy special perks and privileges when you travel. For example you could benefit from overseas travel insurance coverage of up to 120 days for World Mastercard credit cards and 35 days of travel insurance coverage with a Platinum Mastercards. Complimentary travel insurance is subject to terms and conditions. Your Westpac World Mastercard also comes with free entry to over 1,000 airport lounges around the world, courtesy of Priority Pass.
- Reduce your interest expense. There are a few ways you can reduce the interest you pay using a Westpac credit card. You could opt for the Westpac Low Rate Mastercard, which offers you a permanently reduced interest rate on all purchases throughout the life of the card. Another option is to take advantage of a balance transfer offer available on all Westpac cards, currently featuring a rate of 5.95% p.a. interest across the life of the balance.
- Contactless payment technology. Tap and pay using any Westpac credit card. All Westpac cards include Mastercard contactless payment technology, so you can pay for transactions of up to $200 without entering your PIN. If you leave your card at home, you can pay using Apple Pay with your iPhone, an Apple Watch or Westpac Pay for Android phones. Alternatively, apply for a Westpac PayTag, which you can stick to your phone or case and use to enjoy the same contactless payment advantage.
- Westpac CardGuard security. Thanks to Westpac Cardguard, you are protected against fraud around the clock, including Zero Liability Protection, so you aren’t held liable if your card has been lost or stolen.
How can I apply for a Westpac credit card?
Though Westpac offers a wide range of credit cards, you should always compare your preferred Westpac credit card against similar offers from other New Zealand banks. If you decide to apply for a Westpac credit card product, check the requirements below and complete the secure online application form. Existing customers can follow an expedited application process via Westpac One online banking.
- Age requirement. You must be 18 or older.
- Residency. Only residents and citizens of New Zealand can apply.
- Minimum income. A Westpac card application requires a minimum income of $15,000 p.a.
- Credit record. Your credit record should be in good standing.
Necessary documents and information
- Proof of identification. You can provide either a New Zealand passport or a New Zealand driving licence.
- Full income details. Westpac requires your full income details, including those of your main employment and any additional income. In some cases, you may need to take proof of income to a Westpac branch.
- Details of debts and expenses. Provide complete information about your current debt, plus your regular monthly expenses and outgoings.
- Details of saving and investments. Declaring your existing Westpac and non-Westpac savings and investments can aid a successful application.
Frequently asked questions about Westpac credit cards
Below, we’ve compiled some of the most common questions about the Westpac credit card range. We can help you with any other questions, too, so complete the form at the end of the page, and we’ll get back to you.
More guides on Finder
Westpac BusinessPlus Mastercard with hotpoints Review
Earn travel, merchandise and gift card rewards with the Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard with hotpoints.
Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard Review
Find out how you can earn rewards and take advantage of platinum benefits with the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard.
Westpac hotpoints Mastercard Review
Find out how you can earn hotpoints rewards while paying a low annual account fee with the Westpac hotpoints Mastercard.
Westpac Low Rate Mastercard Review
Keep your credit card costs down with a lower interest rate and annual fee.
Westpac Airpoints Business Mastercard Review
Earn Airpoints Dollars and Status Points on your business expenditure with the Westpac Airpoints Business Mastercard.
Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard Review
If you travel often, the Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard makes things a lot more comfortable.
Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard Review
The Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard has a range of benefits for Kiwis who like to travel.
Westpac Airpoints Mastercard Review
Pay a low annual fee and still earn Airpoints Dollars on all eligible spend with the Westpac Airpoints Mastercard.
Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard Review
Earn rewards and take advantage of numerous travel benefits when you sign up for the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard.
Ask an Expert