From Farmers, The Warehouse and Countdown, compare store credit cards and receive benefits based on where you shop.
There are credit cards on the market linked to specific retail brands. Commonly known as store cards, these products provide exclusive benefits when you shop with the brand. Most store cards also offer points per $1 for your everyday spending outside of these brands.
As well as providing extras when you shop with a particular brand, store cards usually afford rewards for everyday spending. They typically carry interest rates and fees similar to other rewards cards. Use this guide to compare store credit cards and learn more about them, so you can decide if this type of card is right for you.
What benefits can I receive with a store card?
Store credit cards may offer a range of perks to enjoy when you shop with the brand, or elsewhere. These features vary between cards but often include:
- Reward points. Some store cards in New Zealand offer points per $1 spent on eligible purchases. You usually earn the highest amount of points for spending with the store and a lower amount if you spend elsewhere.
- VIP offers. Some store cards give you access to exclusive events, offers and sales, for example, Farmers Finance card grants you access to card member shopping events and give away prizes to reward you for using its credit card. If you use your Farmers Finance card in conjunction with your Farmers Club card, you can earn double or triple club points on selected days, and entry into Farmers monthly prize draws.
- Shopping discounts. You may receive savings on your shopping with the store or associated brands when you use a store card to pay for purchases. For example, with the Warehouse Money Visa card you can get 5% off your shopping at The Warehouse. There are exclusions, so make sure you check in-store before you buy goods.
- Complimentary delivery. If you shop online, you could enjoy complimentary delivery options with the brand that’s linked to your store card. For instance, Onecard Visa offers free delivery when you spend over $200 at online with Countdown.
Can I use my store card for spending elsewhere?
Store cards, such as Onecard Visa and The Warehouse Purple Visa card can be used for spending anywhere these cards are accepted. Farmers Finance card is controlled by “Retail Financial Services Ltd (trading as Farmers Finance)”, and can still be used at thousands of retailers throughout New Zealand.
How to compare store credit cards
As well as examining the benefits of a store card, make sure you consider the following features so you can find one that suits your needs:
- Acceptance. Make sure the card is a Visa option if you want to be able to use it outside the associated store. An exception to this is the Farmers Finance Card. There is currently no Mastercard or American Express store cards available in New Zealand.
- Annual fee. Onecard Visa is the only store credit card in New Zealand that charges an annual fee, which currently stands a $65.
- Interest rates. The interest rates for a store credit card typically range from 19.95% p.a. to 25.50% p.a. for purchases but could be higher for cash advances.
- Payment plan rates and fees. If your store card offers long-term payment plans for in-store purchases, make sure you check for establishment and maintenance fees. For example, the instalment payment options available with a Farmers card attract a $55 establishment fee. Other fees apply, so make sure you check the “Farmers Fixed Instalment Agreement” carefully.
- Balance transfer. If you have existing card debt you would like to transfer to a new store credit card; you may be able to get a promotional 0% interest rate, if you request the transfer at the time of your application. Just remember to check the standard rate that applies to the debt if you don’t pay it off during the introductory period.
Store credit cards can help you get more benefits if you regularly shop with a particular brand or store. Just remember to look at the features and fees of the card, so you can find one that suits your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to know more about store cards? Here, you’ll find answers to the most common questions we are asked about store credit cards. If you have a specific query, you can get in touch with us using the comment box below.