Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Kiwibank credit cards
Your Kiwibank credit card can be a low-cost way to make credit card transactions or it could open the doors to earning rewards every time you spend – the choice is yours.
There is a complete range of credit card options at Kiwibank, including cards that offer low-interest rates, cards with no annual fee, plus a range of cards that offer rewards and special privileges and benefits.
Kiwibank offers comprehensive banking services both in-person and online, including personal credit card products that suit a range of different needs and requirements.
Compare Kiwibank credit cards
Kiwibank offers two types of credit card products: cards that can help reduce the cost of paying on credit and cards that reward you as you use credit. Here is a summary of the main types of credit cards on offer from Kiwibank.
Airpoints rewards credit cards
If you spend a lot on your credit card, you could consider one of the Kiwibank Airpoints credit cards. These rewards cards from Kiwibank offer a varying range of Airpoints as a reward for your credit card spend. For example, Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Low Fee Visa earns 1 Airpoints Dollar for every $160 spent on eligible purchases. Whereas, its higher annual fee cards, such as Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa, offers the most significant return, with 1 Airpoints Dollar for every $85 spent on eligible purchases. You can exchange Airpoints for flights, car rental or hotel bookings.
No annual fee or low fee credit cards
Paying an account fee on a credit card is not suitable for everyone, and the Kiwibank Zero Visa is a good choice if you want to keep your credit card expenses to a minimum. With no account fee and a lower interest rate of 12.9% p.a., the Kiwibank Zero Visa card is an excellent way to save on your credit card costs. Alternatively, the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Low Fee Visa offers the opportunity to earn rewards while charging a relatively low annual fee of $25.
Business credit cards
Consider a Kiwibank Business Visa card with an interest rate of 12.50% p.a if you need to manage your business expenses. You can issue cards to each employee who requires one and even fix different card limits. In addition, your statement breakdowns your credit card account spending, so you can see which employee made each purchase.
With Kiwibank, you can also benefit from interest-free days and a low rate of 1.99% p.a. on balance transfers for 6 months on all credit cards currently on offer.
- Earn Airpoints Dollars as you spend. Apply for one of the Air New Zealand Airpoints credit cards issued by Kiwibank and you can earn rewards on your credit card spend. Earnings range from 1 Airpoints Dollar for every $85 spent to 1 Airpoints Dollar for every $160 spent, depending on the card you apply for. Exchange your Airpoints for flights, hotel bookings or car rental.
- Complimentary travel insurance. The Kiwibank Platinum Visa and Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa can cover you with travel insurance for up to 40 days. You need to activate your cover by paying for an element of your trip with your Kiwibank credit card, for example, rental car or overseas travel tickets. The complimentary insurance could compensate you for medical expenses, personal belongings loss or damage, and unforeseeable cancellations and delays.
- Reduce your credit card expenses. Select Kiwibank credit cards offer low-interest rates on purchases, while the Kiwibank Zero Visa is a card with no annual fee. If you prefer to minimise credit card costs and forego earning rewards, one of these Kiwibank credit cards could be a good option.
- Balance transfers offer. Kiwibank allows you to transfer a balance from a different credit card provider to your Kiwibank credit card at a lower interest rate. You can transfer a balance up to your remaining credit limit and pay 1.99% in interest for 6 months, after which you pay the standard purchase interest rate.
- The convenience of contactless payments. Every Kiwibank credit card features Visa contactless technology, so you can pay for transactions of up to $200 by tapping your card on the credit card reader. You can continue to authenticate larger value transactions using chip and PIN as usual.
How to apply
Compare Kiwibank cards to credit cards from other providers and if you think a Kiwibank credit card offers the best fit for your requirements, start the simple online application. You need to meet the following criteria to apply successfully.
- Minimum age. You must be over 18 years of age to apply
- Country of residence. You have to be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Income. You need to show that you can meet your credit card payments after you have paid all other expenses
- You need a credit history absent of any default – Kiwibank will carry out a credit check
Necessary documents and information
- Income details. You need to supply Kiwibank with complete details of your income sources, including details of your employer. In addition, you need to provide bank statements that verify your last 3 months of income.
- Debt and outgoings. The application form also requires full disclosure of your current debt and regular outgoings, such as rental payments.
- Air New Zealand Airpoints number. If you’re applying for a credit card that earns Airpoints Dollars, you should keep your Airpoints account number ready (if you have one).
Kiwibank offers you a range of choices allowing you to decide whether you want to pay no annual fee, pay a small yearly fee in exchange for rewards or pay a higher annual fee to maximise your rewards earnings.
Frequently asked questions about Kiwibank credit cards
See below for the questions most commonly asked about Kiwibank credit cards. We can help you with other questions too. Complete the box at the bottom of this page, and we’ll answer your personal Kiwibank credit card question.
More guides on Finder
Kiwibank Low Rate Visa review
Take advantage of one of the lowest interest rates on the market with the Kiwibank Low Rate Visa.
Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Standard Visa Review
With a faster way to earn travel rewards and opportunity to earn complimentary lounge vouchers, the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Standard Visa is worth considering.
Kiwibank Platinum Visa credit card
The Kiwibank Platinum Visa gives you an interest rate of 13.95% p.a., overseas travel insurance and a credit limit of up to $20,000.
Kiwibank Zero Visa credit card
If you’re looking for a card for everyday use, the Kiwibank Zero Visa has no account fee and a low interest rate.
Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Low Fee Visa credit card
The Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Low Fee Visa has low fees and travel rewards. Find out how to apply here.
Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa
If you like to travel, the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa is worth considering.
Ask an Expert