When you apply for a credit card online, you will often receive a response within 60 seconds of submitting the application. If you are successful, this is as close to “instant approval” as possible and you usually receive your card within a week or two.
However, if you want instant approval when you apply for a credit card, you still need to meet the card’s eligibility requirements and complete the application form. Use this guide for everything you need to know to increase your chances of success when applying for an instant approval credit card.
Compare credit cards for 2020 and apply securely
Select ‘Compare’ in the comparison table below to ensure you meet the card application requirements.
Credit cards for applicants with bad credit
You will only receive instant approval for a credit card if you meet the eligibility requirements and include all the information that is asked for on the application. If you have a bad credit score or are unable to meet the eligibility requirements, you won’t be accepted. If you have a bad credit history, you can work on improving your credit score or consider an alternative form of credit. As rejected applications can hurt your credit score even further, it is important to consider these conditions before applying.
How do instant approval credit cards work?
Credit cards that offer “instant” approval are designed to give you a response as quickly as possible when you apply online. These cards usually give you a response within 60 seconds from when you submit your completed application.
With an “instant” credit card application, the credit card issuer has a system in place to assess key details from your application and credit report within a few seconds. This results in you receiving a response as quickly as possible.
How can I get an instant approval credit card?
An instant approval credit card offers you a simple way to apply online and receive your credit card as soon as possible. To improve your chances of instant approval, there are a few steps you need to take to make sure you have completed your application properly.
Step 1. Compare your options
As you can apply for most credit cards online and receive approval within 60 seconds, it is important to compare your options before applying. Rather than basing your decision on the fact that you could potentially receive “instant” approval, make sure you consider the credit card’s features and benefits so you can find one that suits your needs.
The key details to consider are credit card rates and fees that may apply, including the purchase rate, cash advance rate, annual fee and any promotional rates of interest. You should also weigh up other features that may add value to the account, such as rewards and complimentary extras.
Step 2. Check the eligibility requirements
While you could get approved for a credit card within 60 seconds, your application will only be considered if you meet the eligibility criteria. These requirements vary between cards but often include the following:
- Age. You have to be at least 18 years of age to apply for a credit card in New Zealand.
- Good credit history. Most banks only accept applicants who have a good credit history with no evidence of defaults. Other details, such as late payments or other recent applications for credit, may also have a negative impact on your credit score.
- Residency status. Depending on the card, you might only be able to apply if you are a permanent New Zealand citizen or resident. Some banks do offer cards for temporary residents, so use our guide to compare your options.
- Income. You may need to meet a minimum income requirement to receive approval for the card. If you don’t meet the income requirement of a card, you might want to compare low-income credit cards for more choice.
Step 3. Collect the necessary documents and information
When you apply for a credit card online, you are required to provide a number of documents and personal information before you can receive instant approval. Usually, this includes:
- Proof of identity. You will need to provide proof of your identity such as your driver’s licence, birth certificate or passport.
- Personal details. You need to provide your full name, residential address and contact details.
- Employment and income. You need to provide proof of employment and income, including the details of your employer and recent pay slips. If you are self-employed you need to provide your accountant’s details; and if you are retired, you need to provide evidence of your superannuation payments or assets.
- Balance transfer details. If you are applying for a balance transfer, you need to provide the details of your existing account and the amount you want to transfer during the application.
To ensure a smooth and quick application process, make sure you have these details on hand before you begin your application.
Step 4. Apply online
Once you have compared your credit card options, confirmed you meet the eligibility criteria and organized the necessary documents, you can click on the “Go to Site” button to begin your secure online application. This should only take around 10 to 15 minutes if you have all of the relevant details handy. Once you submit your application, you should receive your response within 60 seconds. You are either approved, rejected or contacted by the bank for further details.
Can I get an instant approval credit card with bad credit?
While most online credit card applications offer a response within 60 seconds, this doesn’t always mean you get “instant approval”. If there are issues with the details you have provided or your credit history, your application may be declined or result in “conditional approval” – a term which usually means you need to provide further details before you can get your credit card fully approved.
If you already have bad credit, it will be more difficult to be approved for a credit card straight away. What is more, every application you make will be listed on your credit file and could add to your bad credit rating. So if you are worried about your credit score, focus on improving it before you apply, as this can help improve your chances of a successful application.
Instant approval credit cards are an easy way to apply for a credit card online and receive one sooner. As instant approval credit cards still require you to meet the relevant eligibility requirements, it is important to compare your options and prepare your application before submitting it to improve your chances of approval.