GE Money Credit Cards
Pay 0% interest for six months on purchases over $250 with the Gem Visa credit card, and an even longer interest-free period at select New Zealand retailers.
Gem offers just one credit card product, a straightforward purchases Visa credit card which offers you 0% on large purchases for a period of 6 months, throughout the lifetime of the card.
Formerly GE Money, Gem was formed out of the acquisition of GE Money by Latitude Financial Services in 2015. The reshaped company has continued the popular Gem Visa credit card, including its long 0% interest offer which is run in association with some of New Zealand’s biggest retailers.
finder does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
The credit card offer from Gem
The Gem Visa credit card comes with a unique 0% interest offer on large purchases. As long as your transaction is over $250 you won’t be charged interest for 6 months, subject to meeting credit and lending criteria. The offer is further extended with specific New Zealand retailers which offer longer 0% interest periods of up to 48 months.
Your Gem Visa credit card also covers all the essential credit card features including top-notch security thanks to Visa, plus Shopper’s Protection Insurance courtesy of Gem. Your card can also be used for cash advances and you won’t be held liable for any fraudulent transactions on your card.
Benefits of banking with Gem
- 0% interest offers on purchases. Spend more than $250 in a single transaction and your purchase can qualify for 0% interest for a period of 6 months, after which interest will be charged at your current purchases rate. Paying at select retailers will get you an even longer interest-free period with a 0% rate of up to 48 months.
- 55 days of 0% interest on all purchases. You can also qualify for 55 days of no interest on purchases if you promptly make the “Payment to reduce further interest” payment mentioned on your statement.
- Contactless payments. Every Gem Visa credit card features contactless payments. No need to enter your PIN number every time you pay, simply tap your Gem Visa credit card on the card reader to complete your payment. Contactless payments are valid for small purchases of up to $80 per transaction.
- Shopper’s protection insurance. If you buy an eligible item and find that the retailer you purchased the item from offers it on sale at a lower price within a six-month window period, you may be eligible to get the difference refunded up to a maximum amount of $600.
- Strong security measures. Enjoy a range of security measures such as Verified by Visa which will protect you when you make purchases online. You’ll also get security and fraud tracking which immediately reviews any suspect transactions. Gem won’t hold you liable for fraudulent activity as long as you promptly notify the bank in case your card is lost or stolen.
How can I apply for a Gem credit card?
While a Gem credit card is a good choice if you’re looking to reduce interest charges on large purchases you should also look at some of the other credit card products on the market, including low-interest rate cards. If you’ve decided that the Gem card is the best choice for you, check the eligibility requirements below and apply for a card using the easy online application form on the Gem site.
- Age. You can apply if you’re 18 or older.
- Residency requirement. Only permanent residents of New Zealand can apply.
- Income requirement. Gem states no minimum income requirements but will request details of your income when you complete the application form.
- Credit file. Your credit history needs to be in good, acceptable standing.
Necessary documents and information
- ID requirements. You can supply your passport or New Zealand driver’s licence as valid identification.
- Income and expenses details. To help Gem make a lending decision you’ll be asked to supply details of your total income as well as regular expenses.
- Current credit cards. Gem will request the current amount you have outstanding on credit cards, and what your total existing credit limits are.
- Details of your employer. You’ll also need to complete the full details of your employer, including a contact number.
Frequently asked questions about Gem credit cards
Here we answer the most common question about Gem credit cards. Use the form at the end of the page if there are any other questions you would like answered and we’ll get back to you promptly.
There’s only one card in the Gem range but it’s a card that can save you substantially on interest charges on large purchases. Take advantage of the 6-month interest-free period to spread the cost of large purchases. The Gem Visa credit card is a great everyday payment card too, accepted wherever Visa is accepted around the world.
Ask an Expert