CMC Markets review – CFD and forex trading
Trade over 10,000 CFD markets on shares, forex, indices and more.
CMC Markets is an award-winning trading platform that provides NZ traders with access to over 10,000 CFD products. If you create an account with CMC Markets, you can trade CFDs across shares, forex, indices, commodities, treasuries and cryptocurrencies.
You can also choose from two trading platforms, plus take advantage of mobile trading apps. Spreads with CMC Markets start at 0.7 points for forex CFDs, with commissions on US share CFDs starting at 0.10%.
Keep reading for a full review of CFD trading with CMC Markets.
Important: This broker offers CFDs which are a leveraged product and can result in the loss of your entire capital. Most retail client accounts lose money trading CFDs. Please ensure you fully understand the risks involved.
Pros and cons of trading with CMC Markets
- Access to 10,000+ CFD products. CMC Markets provides access to over 10,000 CFDs across forex, shares, indices and more. You’ll find a full list of the products available further down the page.
- Advanced trading tools. From professional charting to advanced order types and market analysis, CMC Markets offers a wide range of tools to help inform your trading decisions.
- Demo account. You have the option to create a free demo account and test out the features of CMC Markets before you start trading with real money.
- Choice of platforms. You can choose from MetaTrader 4 or CMC Markets’ Next Generation trading platform, while there’s also a mobile app available.
- CFDs are risky. Trading CFDs is highly risky and there’s a chance you could lose more money than you deposit. Make sure you’re aware of all the risks involved before you start trading.
- Not all products available on MetaTrader 4. While CMC Markets offers access to share, cryptocurrency and treasury CFDs, these are not available via the MetaTrader 4 platform.
- Inactivity fee. CMC Markets charges a dormancy fee if you don’t make any trades from your account for 12 months. This fee is NZ$15 or US $15 (depending on your account currency) per month.
What is CMC Markets?
CMC Markets is an established broker that was founded back in 1989. Headquartered in London, it offers CFD and stock trading in several countries around the world, but only offers CFD trading services in New Zealand.
The company’s New Zealand operations are based in Auckland and it is regulated by the Financial Markets Authority.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Your CMC Markets account gives you access to CFD products across the following markets:
- Shares. You can trade share CFDs on more than 9,000 global shares and ETFs, including over 40 shares on the New Zealand market, over 380 in Australia and over 4,000 in the USA.
- Forex. CMC Markets provides access to more than 345 spot and forward currency trading pairs.
- Indices. You can trade CFDs on over 110 indices, including indices in Australia, the USA, Europe and Asia.
- Commodities. There are over 100 commodity CFDs available to trade, including gold, silver, coffee, crude oil and more.
- Treasuries. Choose from over 50 treasury CFDs from around the world, including bonds, treasury notes and more.
- Cryptocurrencies. If you’d like to gain exposure to the crypto market, CMC Markets allows you to take a position on the price of several popular cryptocurrencies against the US dollar.
- Share baskets. If you’d like to target a specific industry sector, CMC Markets also offers CFDs on a number of share baskets. Examples of the share basket themes available include US Banks, Renewable Energy and Automation & Robotics.
Key features of CMC Markets
CMC Markets offers the following features and benefits to traders:
- Choice of trading platforms. CMC Markets customers can choose from two trading platforms — the popular MetaTrader 4 platform, or CMC Markets’ own Next Generation platform.
- Mobile trading app. You can also trade from your mobile or tablet, with CMC Markets apps for iPhone, iPad and Android available.
- Multiple order types. As well as market, limit and stop-entry orders, you can also take advantage of take-profit, trailing stop-loss and guaranteed stop-loss orders.
- Award-winning charts. CMC Markets’ charting package includes 10 chart types and more than 115 technical indicators and drawing tools to help you analyse your trades.
- Educational resources. From online tutorials and guides to webinars and events, CMC Markets offers a range of resources to help increase your trading knowledge.
- Free demo account. If you want to try out the features of the platform before signing up, you can create a free demo account and practise trading with virtual funds for up to 30 days.
- CFD rebates. High-volume traders can earn monthly cash rebates when they exceed minimum monthly notional value thresholds for trades across forex, indices, commodities and shares.
- Regulation. CMC Markets NZ Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Markets Authority. It holds all retail client funds in segregated bank accounts.
If you need any help with your account or a particular trade, CMC Markets offers 24/5 support. You can contact the customer support team via phone, email or live chat.
There’s also an extensive online support centre where you can find answers to a wide range of frequently asked questions, as well as a guide on how to use the platform. Finally, you can also access a range of educational resources including guides on trading strategies and analysis, plus sign up for a range of online webinars and regional seminars to help boost your trading knowledge.
How to open a CMC Markets account
You have a few options to choose from if you want to open a CMC Markets account. The first is to open a MetaTrader 4 account, while the second is to open a CMC Markets Next Generation account. There’s also the option of a free demo account, which allows you to practise trading with a virtual balance of $10,000 for up to 30 days.
To create an account, you’ll need to complete an online application form on the CMC Markets website. You’ll need to provide your name, date of birth, nationality and contact details, plus some details about your finances. You’ll also be asked to supply proof of ID, such as a scanned copy of your driver’s licence.
If you’re fully aware of the risks involved in trading CFDs and you’re searching around for a competitive trading platform, there are plenty of good reasons to check out CMC Markets. It’s an established platform that offers access to a wide range of CFD products, not to mention a range of resources to help inform your trading decisions.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide whether CMC Markets is right for you. Check how user-friendly the platform is, and compare its fees and features with those of other providers, before deciding where to sign up for an account.