Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
In need of a quick finance solution? Find out how to get funds in your account today.
⚠️ Warning: be cautious with short-term loans
If you're experiencing financial hardship and would like to speak to someone for free financial counselling, you can call the MoneyTalks helpline operated by FinCap on 0800 345 123. It is open from 8:00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday. When comparing short term loans, ensure you take into consideration any fees, charges and rates you may be charged.
Alternatives to short-term loans
Consider these alternatives before applying for a payday loan:
- Use online Government resources. The Commerce Commission New Zealand website explains how loans works and what to be aware of when borrowing from a lender.
- Payment plans. Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan or receive an extension on your due date if you’re behind on payments.
- Contact your creditors. Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment, or working out a new payment plan that works for both of you. Seek personal loans elsewhere. Consider a small personal loan from a bank or a credit union. You may qualify for a loan with much lower interest rates than those offered by payday loan companies.
- Pay with credit card. Consider paying with your credit card to cover your emergency bills or payments. This is not a long term solution, as you’ll need to pay off the balance as soon as possible, but it’s an alternative to a short term loan with high – and immediate – interest rates.
Compare up to 4 providers
More guides on Finder
- 10 shows like Squid Game you can watch online right now
Looking for your next compulsive binge?
- Fresh Start promo codes October 2021
Dieters rejoice! Fresh Start brings scrumptious and nutritious NZ food direct to your door. Delicious, time saving and affordable!
- Complacent Kiwis: 9 in 10 are paying the ‘lazy tax’
Complacency when it comes to financial products is hurting the hip pocket of nearly the entire country, according to new research by Finder.
- My Food Bag discount codes October 2021
Want scrumptious, healthy meals for the family? Make the most of your time with My Food Bag. Easy to cook. No shopping required.
- Bargain Box promo codes October 2021
Get scrumptious, healthy family meals delivered with Bargain Box.
- Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
- Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
- Day trading : What it is and how it works
How day trading works, what to watch out for and how to pick a broker.
- CryptoTrader.Tax review: Automatic cryptocurrency tax reports
Learn more about CryptoTrader.Tax for automatic crypto tax reports.
- What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.