The Cardrona Alpine Resort is known for dry snow and wide slopes with something on offer for everyone. Located in the Southern Alps of New Zealand and situated between Queenstown and Wanaka, Cardrona is ideally located close to both the adventure capital of the island and the natural beauty of Lake Wanaka.
Wanaka is closest and easiest to access from Cardrona, with a driving distance of just 35 minutes, while you can get to Queenstown in an hour by car or bus.
Cardrona is where you’ll find the only ski field in the country that offers the Chondola, a combination of chair lifts and gondolas with a ratio of four chairs to one gondola.
Where to stay in Cardrona
You’ve got three main choices if you want to be near the snow in Cardrona:
- Cardrona Mountain: Firstly, you can stay on the mountain and be a minute’s walk away from the lifts. There are no grocery stores up here and your meal options are limited, so this is best suited to the keenest of skiers and those willing to BYO supplies.
- Cardrona Village: This is a short drive from the ski fields. You’ll find a small handful of accommodation options to choose from here, plus the historical Cardrona Hotel where you can relax and have a drink after your day on the snow.
- Wanaka: This lakeside town is an easy 35-minute drive from Cardrona and you have the added benefit of being based in a more lively town if your holiday is not going to be all about the snow.
Our top picks: Cardrona hotels
Which Cardrona hotels are ski-in/ski-out?
Cardrona mountain facts and trail maps
- Ski season dates 2021: TBC
- Chair lift opening hours: 8.30am–4:00pm
- Snow report: Check out the Snow Report for an accurate and detailed look at recent snowfalls and conditions
- Trail breakdown: 25% of trails are for beginners, 25% are for intermediates, 30% are for advanced skiers and 20% are for experts
- Vertical: 600m
- Number of runs: 40
- Longest run: 4km
- Number of terrain parks: 4
- Number of chair lifts: 5
- Number of magic carpets: 2
- Skiable terrain: 400 hectare
Cardrona trail map
Plan out your day on the slopes using this Cardrona trail map:
Cardrona lift passes
Tickets are available in day, multi-day and season ski pass options. If you plan to spend more than 10 days in Cardrona, purchasing a season pass is your best option.
|Pass||Full-day price||Half-day price|
2020 season pass pricing
There are two passes you can choose from:
- Saver: Avoid the peak July school holiday period and save for the rest of the season. This pass is not valid from 29 June – 17 July 2020.
- Unlimited: Ski or ride on any day of the winter season.
Ski schools available in Cardrona
There are ski and snowboard lessons available for all levels in both group as well as private sessions at Cardrona Alpine Resort. Some programs include packages with gear and lift passes included, and children’s lessons can also include a day at the Kid’s Snow Sports Club.
|Program||Who can participate?||What is involved?|
|Childcare and Snow Sports School||Children under the age of 5||Get them started young with their first skiing experience in private or group classes with kids the same age and level.|
|Kids Group Lessons||Children between the ages of 6 and 12||A fun way to learn to ski or snowboard with instructors that will help your kids gain valuable skills and fall in love with snow sports. Choose from single group lessons or full day lessons.|
|Adventure Programmes||Children between the ages of 5 and 14||These run every week of the season for four consecutive days (Monday to Thursday). The Adventure Programme is packed with fun activities and kids get the same instructor every day. A great way to encourage improvement and a fun learning environment.|
|First Timers||Adults or children who are skiing or snowboarding for the first time||Packages start from one day to three days and include Beginners’ Area lift passes and rental equipment. Separate child and adult lessons start and finish at the same time so you can learn while your kids do.|
|Adult group lessons||Skiers of all levels and abilities||Sharpen your skills with your choice of single group lessons or a full day of instruction in a group to best suited your ability.|
|Private lessons||Anyone can participate in private lessons||Accelerate your learning with private lessons. Learn to ski or snowboard by mastering the basics or develop new skills.|
Ski and equipment hire in Cardrona resorts
Make your holiday just that much easier by renting your clothing and equipment on the mountain. Or save some cash and use the nearest ski and snowboard rental outlet to your accommodation.
You can hire clothing and equipment at:
Latest Cardrona travel deals