Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Car repair loans
Get the finance you need to get your car back on the road.
⚠️ Warning: be cautious with short-term loans
If you're experiencing financial hardship and would like to speak to someone for free financial counselling, you can call the MoneyTalks helpline operated by FinCap on 0800 345 123. It is open from 8:00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday. When comparing short term loans, ensure you take into consideration any fees, charges and rates you may be charged.
Alternatives to short-term loans
Consider these alternatives before applying for a payday loan:
- Use online Government resources. The Commerce Commission New Zealand website explains how loans works and what to be aware of when borrowing from a lender.
- Payment plans. Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan or receive an extension on your due date if you’re behind on payments.
- Contact your creditors. Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment, or working out a new payment plan that works for both of you. Seek personal loans elsewhere. Consider a small personal loan from a bank or a credit union. You may qualify for a loan with much lower interest rates than those offered by payday loan companies.
- Pay with credit card. Consider paying with your credit card to cover your emergency bills or payments. This is not a long term solution, as you’ll need to pay off the balance as soon as possible, but it’s an alternative to a short term loan with high – and immediate – interest rates.
Compare up to 4 providers
More guides on Finder
- Finder report: Trends in New Zealand’s automotive market
Finder reports on the changing car-loans landscape, the rise of electric cars and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the vehicle market.
- Your complete guide to cryptocurrency statistics
The one, two, threes that anyone looking into cryptocurrency needs to know before you start buying.
- Tap and woe: The 8 credit card sins that 1.1 million Kiwis are guilty of
1.1 million Kiwis have committed a credit card sin in the past 12 months, according to new research by financial comparison site Finder.
- How to make NFTs
Find out all you need to create your own NFTs – the new application of blockchain technology that enables digital ownership of assets.
- Savvy swaps: Changes that could save you money or improve your health
SPONSORED: Live well and spend less with ease when you follow these highly recommended tips and tricks.
- Complacent Kiwis: 9 in 10 are paying the ‘lazy tax’
Complacency when it comes to financial products is hurting the hip pocket of nearly the entire country, according to new research by Finder.
- Lazy Tax Report 2021
Finder’s Lazy Tax Report found 9 out of 10 Kiwis are missing out on a better deal by sticking with the same provider.
- Charge ’em up: 45% of Kiwis would consider an electric car
New Zealand’s interest in electric cars is accelerating, with Finder research revealing nearly half of the population would consider an electric vehicle as their next car.
- Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
- Pet insurance for older dogs and cats
Discover some funds that cover senior pets, what to look for in a policy and how you can help your furry friend feel comfortable in their twilight years.