Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Car loans vs personal loans
Need financing for a car? Find out whether a personal loan or a car loan is preferable for you.
Taking out finance in order to purchase a car is a common form of borrowing. The two most applied for types of financing to purchase cars are car loans and personal loans. While similar in some respects, car loans and personal loans are distinctly different forms of finance. So, it is important to work out which one can get you more value for money.
This guide will explain the differences between these two loan types. It also includes a calculator to help you work out exactly how much money you can save by opting for one over the other.
What’s the difference between a car loan and a personal loan?
The exact terms of your financing will depend on your chosen lender and product, but you can generally expect to find the following features with each type of loan.
These are dedicated loans designed to cover only the cost of a car and related expenses such as licensing and registration. Most, but not all, are secured loans.
- Interest rates. Rates will be more competitive if your loan is secured. If you choose dealership finance you’ll generally have to pay a balloon payment.
- Secured. Car loans use the vehicle you’re borrowing money for as collateral. This means you can access lower rates, but if you default on the loan the lender may be able to claim the car.
- Application. You need to supply more information, specifically about the vehicle, when you apply. This can include the make, model and VIN/Chassis number.
- Restrictions. There are various restrictions with car loans. For example, you may not be able to buy a used car with the loan depending on its age.
Personal loans are considerably more flexible. You can also shop around to find terms and conditions that may be preferable for you.
- Use of funds. You can generally use the approved funds for any purpose you have, including purchasing a car. You can even use part of the loan amount to purchase the car and another part for a different purpose.
- Unsecured. While car loans are typically secured, in that they use the car itself as collateral, unsecured personal loans do not require you to put up any collateral. This may reduce your risks, but generally comes at the cost of higher rates.
- Application. You need to list the purpose of the loan, but this can be quite general. For example, you may list debt consolidation, travel or large purchase as a reason.
Essentially, you could think of car loans as “pre-made packages”, while personal loans are more flexible and can be tailored to your needs.
Which is better, a car loan or a personal loan?
Whether a car loan or a personal loan is better will depend on your personal situation. For example, a personal loan might be better for you if you:
- Are buying an older car that may not qualify as loan security
- Decide that you want a bit of extra cash to use for another purpose
- Have excellent credit and can secure a competitive personal loan
A car loan might be preferable if you:
- Don’t want to spend as much money over the life of the loan
- Are looking to buy a new, or newer model of car
- Haven’t got a perfect credit history
Questions to ask yourself before submitting a loan application
If you’re wondering what you should ask yourself before you click “submit” on that loan application, we’ve got a few handy tips that will help.
Are you expecting your financial situation to change?
If you’re anticipating a change in your financial situation in the near future, there’s a good chance a personal loan is preferable for you. An unsecured loan may carry less risk in an uncertain future.
Do you know what car you want to buy?
Pre-approval is generally only available with car loans. This means that if you want to shop for a car knowing how much you have to spend, you may want to opt for a car loan.
Are you buying a used car?
Buying used instead of new can be an effective way of saving money, but depending on the vehicle you might not be able to find a car loan, and will have to go for a personal loan instead. For example, some car loans will require the vehicle to be less than two years old while personal loans will not have any such restrictions.
Do you want to modify your car?
It can be costly to make modifications to your vehicle. Whether it’s just a new coat of paint or as extensive as changing the body of the car, many car lenders won’t let you add this cost onto your loan. With a personal loan, you can borrow however much you like for different purposes, so you can add this cost onto the loan amount yourself.
At the end of the day, the most effective way to compare loans is by looking at specific options side by side. It can be a good idea to use a calculator to work out value for money more precisely.
Compare car loans and personal loans
For more information on any of these loans, simply click “More Info” to be taken to our review page. To apply for a loan, click “Go to site”.
Step-by-step guide to finding the right type of loan
You might try the following steps to find a loan that works for you. Note that everyone’s circumstances are different and these steps may be considered guidelines.
If you are already certain whether a car loan or personal loan is right for you, then you can only compare those types of financing. If you’re unsure, it can be a good idea to compare both car and personal loans using the steps below.
- Go through the car loan and personal loan options in the table above
- Enter the interest rate, fees and terms into the calculator to see which one is more affordable.
- Adjust the terms to see if you can save on either option.
- Decide which loan is more affordable.
Frequently asked questions about personal loans vs car loans
Here are some questions we have been asked about car loans and personal loans:
More guides on Finder
Pet insurance for older dogs and cats
Discover some funds that cover senior pets, what to look for in a policy and how you can help your furry friend feel comfortable in their twilight years.
Jeanswest discount codes and coupons September 2021 | Get 30% off instantly
Jeanswest has been creating great fashion looks for over 40 years. All you need in jeans and fashions is here.
Finder cryptocurrency predictions report: October 2020
We asked 30 panellists for their cryptocurrency price predictions, the outlook for DeFi and how long they think high returns on yield farming might last.
Metamask wallet review and guide
All you need to know about Metamask – the browser extension digital wallet and a user-friendly bridge to the world of Ethereum decentralised applications.
Living in Australia: What happens after you settle in?
Here’s a handy guide that may help you settle into your new Australian home.
The best places to live in Australia
Choosing where to live when you move to Australia is a crucial decision. We’ve put together this handy guide to living in Australia’s capital cities to help you make the right choice.
Online stores with free delivery and returns
Not many stores offer both free shipping and returns when you order online. Find out where to shop and learn more about how these processes work.
Bed Threads discount codes and coupons September 2021
There is no need to keep searching for your dream bedding. You’ve found it right here. Everything you need is at Bed Threads.
Uber Eats delivery driving – a guide
We breakdown the benefits of Uber Eats delivery driving, including how much you can earn and what you need to do it.
Finance Bloom secured personal loan review
Finance Bloom secured personal loan review. Find out about rates, features and more.