Westpac Car Insurance
You can pick your choice of excess and cover level when you buy car insurance from Westpac.
Westpac offers many ways to save on your car insurance including discounts for older drivers, multi-policy savings and up to 64% off for claims-free driving. The bank also offers a choice of three cover levels.
Your Westpac car insurance policy is arranged by the bank, and the policy itself is underwritten by IAG New Zealand, part of the Insurance Australia Group. Keep reading to find out what is covered by a Westpac car insurance policy.
What cover options does Westpac offer?
Your budget and the age of your car will determine which level of cover is best suited to you. As a minimum, every driver should consider taking out third party cover. At Westpac you can choose from:
Enjoy extensive coverage for many motoring risks with a comprehensive car insurance policy from Westpac.
The following is included at this level of cover:
- Accidental damage, including repair or replacement up to the market value of your vehicle
- Legal liability of $20 million for damage to another person’s property, and up to $100,000 in case of personal injury
- Cover for fire damage
- Cover in case your vehicle is stolen
- Up to $500 to pay for travel and accommodation after damage to or loss of your vehicle
- Up to $500 to tow your vehicle home
- Up to $500 for medical expenses
- $1,000 towards the replacement of lost or stolen keys
- $5,000 towards fatal injuries after an accident
- $1,000 in cover for trailers, owned or used by you
- $1,000 towards legal defence costs
- Excess-free cover for windscreen damage, including sunroofs
- A rental car for up to 14 days if your car is stolen or under repair – you need to pay the first $25 a day
At this level of cover, you get protection against third party liability while also enjoying cover for fire and theft risks.
The policy includes the following:
- Up to $3,000 if your car is in an accident with an uninsured driver and you’re not at fault
- $20 million in legal liability cover to pay for damage to another person’s property, and up to $100,000 towards compensation for injury to another person
- Cover for damage in case of fire
- Cover to replace your vehicle if it’s stolen
This basic level of cover protects you against costs resulting from damage to another person’s car or property.
The policy includes cover for:
- $20 million in legal liability cover that pays out if you cause an accident that results in damage to someone else’s property, and $100,000 towards any physical injuries caused
- $3,000 to repair damage to your car if you are in an accident that is the fault of someone else
What is generally excluded by Westpac?
Westpac excludes claims made under certain circumstances. Some of these circumstances include:
- Your vehicle is used to deliver goods, or as a courier
- Any use in connection with the motor trade
- Use of your car to carry passengers that pay a fare
- Racing, testing, demonstration use
- Hiring or renting out your car
- Use of your car for driving instruction
- Mechanical breakdown or electrical failure
- Using unsuitable lubrication or cooling
- Tyre damage due to punctures, cuts or braking
- Modifications to your vehicle not approved for cover by Westpac
- If the driver is over the legal alcohol limit
- If the driver is under the influence of an intoxicating substance
- The driver does not stop after an accident
- Use of your vehicle in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
How much excess will I pay?
Most car insurance policies have an excess element. This is the amount you need to pay towards a claim. Westpac lets you choose an excess amount, but there are minimum excess levels:
- $400 for drivers over 25
- $850 for drivers between 21 and 24
- $1,100 for drivers under 21
- $1,100 for drivers not holding a New Zealand license for at least 12 months
How to save on your Westpac car insurance policy
- Drive safely. At Westpac, you can enjoy a no-claims discount of up to 64%. This maximum bonus is assigned if you have not made a claim for over 4 years.
- Home insurance. Buy a home insurance policy from Westpac and you can save 10% on your car insurance.
- Over 25s. You can save up to 18% by excluding drivers under the age of 25 from your insurance policy.
- Voluntary excess. Choose an excess higher than the minimum and save up to $100 per year.
- Reduce cover. Pick third party cover if you are on a budget, or if your car is not worth insuring.
How do I make a claim?
You need to call the Westpac free-phone number to make a claim on your Westpac car insurance policy. Keep the following ready to ensure a speedy claim:
- Full details of the accident
- Your insurance policy number
- Any required documents
- Photographs of the damage and accident scene if possible
- Police report number, if required
What makes Westpac Car Insurance different
Every car insurance policy has a unique set of benefits and advantages. At Westpac some of the more exciting features include:
- New replacement. Comprehensive cover includes a new replacement feature. If your vehicle is less than 12 months old Westpac may replace it with a brand new car.
- Roadside assistance. You can optionally specify Auto Assist, a vehicle breakdown service. Only available under comprehensive cover.
- Solid no-claims discount. A notable no-claims discount of up to 64% means that you can save substantially on your premiums if you drive safely.
- Complimentary windshield cover. Westpac includes complimentary window damage cover for holders of comprehensive policies. You won’t pay an excess when claiming and your no-claims bonus will remain protected.