Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
RentalCover.com Rental Car Insurance Review
Save up to 50% on your rental vehicle insurance by taking out a policy with RentalCover.com.
Renting a car or campervan to explore a new place comes with many benefits. Not only can you plan an itinerary and pace that suits you, but you have a reliable vehicle to get you from A to B.
But renting a vehicle can present its own problems if something goes wrong while you’re on the road. That’s why you should make sure that you have the appropriate insurance so you are not left out of pocket should the unexpected happen.
Operating since 2014, RentalCover.com gives its customers better coverage for rental vehicles at a better price. This provider offers protection for a range of vehicles including rental cars, motorhomes, 4x4s and campervans so you can save up to 50% of what you’ll be required to pay if you take out insurance directly with the rental company.
What cover options does RentalCover.com have?
The company that you rent your vehicle from will usually have two or three levels of cover. These can be purchased for an additional amount per rental day, with some options costing as much as $75 each day. Even the more comprehensive packages might not necessarily cover you for everything that you would expect.
RentalCover.com has one policy called Full Protection. This includes cover for:
- Single and multiple vehicle accidents
- Accident-related fees
- Roadside assistance, towing and key loss
- Windscreen, tyre, roof, body and underbody damage
- Theft, fire and vandalism
- Up to the policy limit for individual incidents
- Additional drivers named on the rental agreement
- Reimbursement of damage-related charges and administration costs
You are only covered for the type of vehicle that you have requested the policy for. You will not be covered for incidents that breach your rental agreement conditions or local law.
How does RentalCover.com work?
Rental companies require that you pay an excess before you drive the vehicle away, and this amount could be as much $6,000. Alternatively, you will be offered an excess reduction package – by doing this you will reduce the amount of excess you pay or remove it altogether, but this can add up over your rental period and there could be things you are not covered for.
When you take out a policy with RentalCover.com, you don’t need to take the excess reduction that the rental company wants you to buy. If you are in an accident or cause damage to your vehicle, you can settle these costs with the renter and then claim these back from RentalCover.com.
Benefits of using RentalCover.com
- Cheaper than the rental desk. You can save up to 50% on your cover compared to what you could get at the rental desk.
- Cover for different vehicles. RentalCover.com is able to provide full protection for campervans, motorhomes, rental cars, 4x4s and minibuses.
- Zero excess. Approved claims are refunded in full – including all excess deductible fees.
- Price guarantee. RentalCover.com will beat any price that you find elsewhere.
- No common exclusions. RentalCover.com’s policies don’t include common inclusions that you would find elsewhere like windscreens and tyres.
- Additional drivers. If you nominate additional drivers on your rental agreement then they’ll be automatically covered for free.
- Fast claims process. Approved claims take on average three business days to be refunded in your local currency.
- Worldwide cover. Thanks to having a global network of partners and underwriters, RentalCover.com can customise your cover based on your country of origin and destination.
- Hassle-free claims process. 95% of claims through RentalCover.com are able to be processed without any follow-up questions.
- Excellent reviews. RentalCover.com has maintained an excellent rating on Trustpilot from over 3,000 customers.
- Cancel anytime. You can cancel your policy any time up until you collect your vehicle.
How do I make a claim?
To make a claim, you can start the process by heading to the RentalCover.com website and entering your login details. You will need to provide scans or photos of the following:
- Your driver’s licence
- Your vehicle rental agreement
- A bank statement that shows the rental payment
- The final invoice from the rental company that includes damage costs
- If applicable, an invoice for the repair costs
Once you submitted your claim, you will either be notified of approval or contacted to clear up any queries. If your claim is approved, you’ll receive a payment link via email. Your refund will be in your account within five working days – the majority of refunds are paid out in three working days.
Read more on this topic
NAC car insurance NAC car insurance can provide cover for high-performance vehicles, under 25s, Kiwis with convictions and temporary visitors.
Swann Car Insurance Get cover for your classic car or motorbike, with different levels of cover and optional extensions available.
BBH Backpacker Motor Vehicle Insurance Review Temporary visitor to New Zealand? Insure your vehicle for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months for legal liability, fire and theft.
Travellers Car Insurance Review: Short-Term Car Cover Get cover for your car, campervan or motorbike. while you are backpacking around New Zealand or are only here for a few months.
Insure Direct Car Insurance Review: An Option For The Hard To Insure Been turned away from other providers because you are ‘hard to insure’. Insure Direct may be able to help.
NZ Safe Driving Report 2020 Finder research shows over 2.7 million Kiwis are driving dangerously on the roads. Find out what New Zealand’s riskiest drivers are, and how your own driving stacks up.
The Warehouse Car Insurance With three levels of cover to choose from and a no-stress claims process, Warehouse Money’s car insurance is worth checking out.
Can I get a car insurance premium break or refund during the coronavirus outbreak? Car insurers are offering car insurance payment deferrals, reduced premiums, excess adjustments and more if you need financial help due to coronavirus.
Rental car excess insurance A complete guide to car rental excess insurance and how it can save you money if your rental vehicle is stolen, damaged or involved in a collision.
Multi-car insurance Insuring all your cars on the same multi-car insurance policy can be a great way to save on your premiums.