Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
NAC car insurance
Have a high-performance or modified car? Under 25? Have a conviction? Temporary tourist? Get covered with NAC car insurance.
For over 18 years, NAC has been providing insurance for high-performance vehicles and for those that have insurance needs that fall outside the standard profile.
As well as high-performance vehicles, NAC offers policies for people with driving convictions, under 25s and Kiwis with modified vehicles. Visitors to the country are also covered, with temporary third party insurance for up to 12 months.
NAC has a range of payment options and is a business division of IAG New Zealand Limited. IAG has an AA- financial strength rating, which means its claims-paying ability is ‘very strong’.
What cover options does NAC offer?
NAC understands that not every person needs the same type of insurance and that there are different drivers, vehicles and budgets to cater for.
Whether you are looking for cover for a modified vehicle, protection for your motorcycle while it’s in storage, or are a tourist embarking on a three-month road trip around the country, NAC has a policy to suit.
NAC’s Wheels car insurance offers four levels of cover and is available to young drivers, people with driving convictions, or people that have modified or high-performance vehicles.
- Third party only. Third party only insurance covers your legal liability if you damage property or injure a person, and also includes protection for your vehicle if you are hit by an uninsured driver.
- Third party, fire & theft. This level of cover includes the benefits of third party only, plus damage to your vehicle from fire and theft.
- Fire, theft and storage. If you have a show car or race vehicle that is kept in storage, this policy provides coverage for theft or damage caused by fire, natural disasters or malicious acts.
- Comprehensive. Comprehensive insurance provides the most benefits with cover for damage to your vehicle, legal liability, fire and theft, uninsured drivers and windscreen damage.
What is covered with comprehensive car insurance
- Legal liability when you injure another person or cause damage to property
- Damage caused by fire or theft
- Damage caused by uninsured drivers
- Automatic cover for a replacement car
- Towing and transport costs following an accident
- Accidental and malicious damage to your vehicle
- Accidental damage to your windscreens
- 24-hour emergency roadside assistance
NAC’s Easyrider motorbike insurance provides coverage for your two-wheeled mode of transport with three levels of cover to choose from:
- Third party only. Covers legal liability if you are in an accident and cause damage to another person or property.
- Fire, theft and storage. This policy provides cover for sudden and accidental loss or damage to your motorbike by fire, theft or attempted theft, natural disasters or malicious damage.
- Comprehensive. Comprehensive insurance includes the widest range of benefits including damage to your motorbike and legal liability.
Summary of benefits for comprehensive motorbike insurance:
- Accidental or malicious damage to your motorbike
- Damage caused by fire or theft
- Legal liability when you cause damage to another person’s property or bodily injury
- Roadside assistance
- Towing and transport costs
Tourist car insurance
If you’re visiting New Zealand and need car insurance for a short period of time, NAC provides basic insurance called NAC Jetsetter Insurance.
This third party only policy is suitable if you are comfortable with the risk of damage or loss of your own car, but want cover in the event that you cause damage to another vehicle or someone’s property.
It also includes protection for your own vehicle if you are hit by an uninsured driver.
NAC Jetsetter Insurance provides cover for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months, with all international licences accepted.
Summary of benefits:
- Protection against uninsured drivers up to $3,000
- Replacement car cover
- Legal liability and defence costs when you cause injury to another person or accidental loss to property
- Reparation costs to a victim
- Vicarious liability
What does NAC generally exclude?
NAC will not cover every event that you may wish to make a claim for, so it’s important to read the policy wording carefully before you commit.
Some of the general exclusions you will find include claims related to:
- Using your vehicle while under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Loss or damage caused by confiscation or destruction by order of the government or local authority
- Loss or damage to electronic data
- Reckless or intentional acts
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Modified vehicles if the modifications have not been declared to NAC
- If your vehicle is covered by another insurance policy
- Acts of war or terrorism
- Some types of tyre damage
- Unlicensed drivers using your vehicle
- Using your vehicle when it is considered unsafe or unroadworthy
How much excess will I pay?
The amount of excess you will need to be will be indicated on your quote and then on your policy document. There may be some circumstances when an excess is not payable depending on the type of claim.
How do I make a claim?
If you need to make a claim, NAC can take care of everything over the phone, although you may need to send some things via email such as photos or a police report. Alternatively, you can download a claims form from the NAC website, complete it and then send by email.
When you make a claim, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Your personal details and policy number
- Information about what has happened, with photos if applicable
- Contact information for other parties involved
- A police report if your vehicle has been stolen.
Once you have provided this information, your claims handler will assess your claim.
If approved, NAC will either pay you the market value up to the sum insured, arrange for the vehicle to be fixed by an approved repairer, or pay you the cost of repairs as estimated.
What makes NAC different?
NAC offers insurance for those that may have trouble getting cover through mainstream insurers. You may have been turned away from other providers or have been given a quote that seems higher than what you were expecting if you:
- Have a high-performance car
- Have a modified vehicle
- Are under 25
- Have a conviction
- Are a tourist temporarily in New Zealand
- Drive a motorcycle
- Are looking for coverage while your car or bike is in storage
If you fall into any of these categories, NAC may be able to help you get the insurance you need.
Read more on this topic
Swann Car Insurance Get cover for your classic car or motorbike, with different levels of cover and optional extensions available.
BBH Backpacker Motor Vehicle Insurance Review Temporary visitor to New Zealand? Insure your vehicle for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months for legal liability, fire and theft.
Travellers Car Insurance Review: Short-Term Car Cover Get cover for your car, campervan or motorbike. while you are backpacking around New Zealand or are only here for a few months.
Insure Direct Car Insurance Review: An Option For The Hard To Insure Been turned away from other providers because you are ‘hard to insure’. Insure Direct may be able to help.
NZ Safe Driving Report 2020 Finder research shows over 2.7 million Kiwis are driving dangerously on the roads. Find out what New Zealand’s riskiest drivers are, and how your own driving stacks up.
The Warehouse Car Insurance With three levels of cover to choose from and a no-stress claims process, Warehouse Money’s car insurance is worth checking out.
Can I get a car insurance premium break or refund during the coronavirus outbreak? Car insurers are offering car insurance payment deferrals, reduced premiums, excess adjustments and more if you need financial help due to coronavirus.
Rental car excess insurance A complete guide to car rental excess insurance and how it can save you money if your rental vehicle is stolen, damaged or involved in a collision.
RentalCover.com Rental Car Insurance Review Save up to 50% on your rental vehicle insurance by taking out a policy with RentalCover.com.
Multi-car insurance Insuring all your cars on the same multi-car insurance policy can be a great way to save on your premiums.