Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Cove Car Insurance
Say goodbye to annual premiums and hello to Cove’s monthly contracts for comprehensive insurance that can be cancelled at any time.
Cove offers no-fuss comprehensive car insurance that can be purchased quickly online without needing to talk to someone person.
Instead of annual policies, Cove has monthly contracts that automatically renew, so you can easily cancel at any time without losing out. This fresh Kiwi start-up has policies that are tailored to your lifestyle with optional extras to suit your circumstances, and with instant coverage, you can get on with doing those more important things.
Policies are underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd’s of London and you can also take out phone insurance with this provider.
What cover options does Cove car insurance offer?
While other providers offer different levels of cover to suit different needs, Cove only has one comprehensive policy option.
This policy includes the following benefits:
- Cover for repairs or replacement due to fire, theft or damage
- New car cover for accidental cover of cars less than 12 months old
- No excess for accidents that are not your fault and the other driver accepts liability
- Emergency accommodation and travel costs if you are unable to drive your car home after an accident
- Replacement of keys and locks
- Repair or replacement of a trailer belonging to you
What is excluded by Cove?
Cove does not provide coverage for the following:
- Modified cars
- Commercial use of vehicle
- Drivers under 21
- Learner licences
- Unlicensed drivers or breach of licence conditions
- Cars worth more than $80,000
- Accidents as a result of the driver being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
For a full list of exclusions, please refer to the policy documentation.
How much excess will I pay?
- Cove’s default excess amount is $750, but you can change this to a minimum of $400, or a maximum of $1,000.
- Your excess is waived in certain circumstances such as when you are in an accident that is someone else’s fault and their insurer accepts liability, or when you are claiming for excess-free glass.
How to save on your Cove car insurance policy
- Increase your excess. Get lower monthly payments if you increase your excess from the standard default of $750.
- Pay off your finance. You’ll have higher premiums if there is finance owing on your car, so pay this off sooner to get lower premiums.
- Don’t pay for excess-free glass cover. This will keep your monthly premium down if you are happy to pay an excess for claims concerning windscreen and glass damage.
- Reduce your insured sum. Even though you will need to top up the amount needed to buy a replacement vehicle should yours be written off, you can enjoy a lower monthly premium by reducing your sum insured.
- Get a New Zealand licence. If you are driving on a foreign licence, your premiums will be higher so consider getting a New Zealand licence if you plan on staying in the country for some time.
How do I make a claim?
To make a claim on your Cove car insurance policy, you can either contact the company by phone or complete an online claims form. If you choose to do the form online you will need to provide details such as:
- Personal and car information
- Policy number
- Details of the accident you are claiming for including where and when it happened, and a brief description of the event
- Who was driving
- You can upload a sketch of the accident if it is difficult to explain
You will also need to have the following information ready once Cove has received your claim and is ready to proceed to the next steps:
- Police report
- Location of vehicle
- Excess payment funds
- Witness details
- Photos of damage
Other benefits of getting insurance with Cove
Cove offers the following benefits:
- Simple self-service. Manage your policy online without needing to pick up the phone.
- Designed by Kiwis. Cove is a Kiwi-owned company, with policies designed to best suit the needs of New Zealanders.
- Transparency. Car insurance that is hassle-free with no hidden surprises.
- Flexible. Only pay for the options that you need.
If you need some optional extras, you can add these to your policy:
- Excess-free windscreen. No need to pay an excess to get only your windscreen fixed.
- Roadside assistance. Get two call-outs a year if you happen to break down.
- Courtesy car hire. If your car is stolen or is being repaired, Cove will cover the costs of a hire car for up to 30 days.
Frequently asked questions
If you are looking for a no-fuss comprehensive car insurance policy that offers flexibility and can be managed entirely online, Cove is worth considering. Not only can you add optional extras to your policy for the things you need, but monthly contracts allow you to cancel your insurance at any time.
Even though Cove does not offer more basic insurance policies, you may find that its coverage suits your needs and your budget. It’s always a good idea to shop around and make sure that you find the right deal with a premium that you are comfortable with.
Read more on this topic
NAC car insurance NAC car insurance can provide cover for high-performance vehicles, under 25s, Kiwis with convictions and temporary visitors.
Swann Car Insurance Get cover for your classic car or motorbike, with different levels of cover and optional extensions available.
BBH Backpacker Motor Vehicle Insurance Review Temporary visitor to New Zealand? Insure your vehicle for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months for legal liability, fire and theft.
Travellers Car Insurance Review: Short-Term Car Cover Get cover for your car, campervan or motorbike. while you are backpacking around New Zealand or are only here for a few months.
Insure Direct Car Insurance Review: An Option For The Hard To Insure Been turned away from other providers because you are ‘hard to insure’. Insure Direct may be able to help.
NZ Safe Driving Report 2020 Finder research shows over 2.7 million Kiwis are driving dangerously on the roads. Find out what New Zealand’s riskiest drivers are, and how your own driving stacks up.
The Warehouse Car Insurance With three levels of cover to choose from and a no-stress claims process, Warehouse Money’s car insurance is worth checking out.
Can I get a car insurance premium break or refund during the coronavirus outbreak? Car insurers are offering car insurance payment deferrals, reduced premiums, excess adjustments and more if you need financial help due to coronavirus.
Rental car excess insurance A complete guide to car rental excess insurance and how it can save you money if your rental vehicle is stolen, damaged or involved in a collision.
RentalCover.com Rental Car Insurance Review Save up to 50% on your rental vehicle insurance by taking out a policy with RentalCover.com.