Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Cove car insurance
Say goodbye to annual premiums and hello to Cove’s monthly contracts for comprehensive insurance that can be cancelled at any time.
Updated . What changed?
Cove offers no-fuss comprehensive car insurance that can be purchased quickly online without needing to talk to someone in person.
Instead of annual policies, Cove has monthly contracts that automatically renew, so you can easily cancel at any time without losing out. This fresh Kiwi start-up has policies that are tailored to your lifestyle with optional extras to suit your circumstances, and with instant coverage, you can get on with doing those more important things.
Cove – key facts
- Cove car insurance policies are underwritten by Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance Company Limited which has a financial strength rating of A+ (Stable) given by A. M. Best Company and A+ (Stable) given by Standard & Poors.
- Founded in 2017, Cove is owned by Kiwis and operated in New Zealand with offices in Auckland and Palmerston North.
- It has an online self-service portal called My Cove, as well as a customer care phone line and live chat service.
- Cove will soon offer other insurance products, such as house and contents insurance.
What cover options does Cove car insurance offer?
While other providers offer different levels of cover to suit different needs, Cove only has one comprehensive policy option.
This policy includes the following benefits:
- Cover for repairs or agreed value replacement due to fire, theft or damage
- New car cover for accidental loss of cars less than 12 months old
- No excess for accidents that are not your fault and the other driver accepts liability
- Emergency accommodation and travel costs if you are unable to drive your car home after an accident
- Replacement of keys and locks
- Repair or replacement of a trailer belonging to you
What is excluded by Cove?
Cove does not provide coverage for the following:
- Modified cars
- Commercial use of vehicle
- Drivers under 21
- Learner licences
- Unlicensed drivers or breach of licence conditions
- Cars worth more than $80,000
- Accidents as a result of the driver being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
For a full list of exclusions, please refer to the policy documentation.
How much excess will I pay?
- Cove’s default excess amount is $750, but you can change this to a minimum of $400, or a maximum of $1,000.
- Your excess is waived in certain circumstances such as when you are in an accident that is someone else’s fault and their insurer accepts liability, or when you are claiming for excess-free glass.
How to save on your Cove car insurance policy
- Increase your excess. Get lower monthly payments if you increase your excess from the standard default of $750.
- Pay off your finance. You’ll have higher premiums if there is finance owing on your car, so pay this off sooner to get lower premiums.
- Don’t pay for excess-free glass cover. This will keep your monthly premium down if you are happy to pay an excess for claims concerning windscreen and glass damage.
- Reduce your insured sum. Even though you will need to top up the amount needed to buy a replacement vehicle should yours be written off, you can enjoy a lower monthly premium by reducing your sum insured.
- Get a New Zealand licence. If you are driving on a foreign licence, your premiums will be higher so consider getting a New Zealand licence if you plan on staying in the country for some time.
- Refer a friend. Each time you refer a friend to Cove you receive one free month of car insurance.
How do I make a claim?
To make a claim on your Cove car insurance policy, you can either contact the company by phone or complete an online claims form. If you choose to do the form online you will need to provide details such as:
- Personal and car information
- Policy number
- Details of the accident you are claiming for including where and when it happened, and a brief description of the event
- Who was driving
- You can upload a sketch of the accident if it is difficult to explain
You will also need to have the following information ready once Cove has received your claim and is ready to proceed to the next steps:
- Police report
- Location of vehicle
- Excess payment funds
- Witness details
- Photos of damage
Other benefits of getting insurance with Cove
Cove offers the following benefits:
- Simple self-service. Manage your policy online without needing to pick up the phone.
- Designed by Kiwis. Cove is a Kiwi-owned company, with policies designed to best suit the needs of New Zealanders.
- Transparency. Car insurance that is hassle-free with no hidden surprises.
- Flexible. Only pay for the options that you need.
If you need some optional extras, you can add these to your policy:
- Excess-free windscreen. No need to pay an excess to get only your windscreen fixed.
- Roadside assistance. Get two call-outs a year if you happen to break down.
- Courtesy car hire. If your car is stolen or is being repaired, Cove will cover the costs of a hire car for up to 30 days.
Frequently asked questions
If you are looking for a no-fuss comprehensive car insurance policy that offers flexibility and can be managed entirely online, Cove is worth considering. Not only can you add optional extras to your policy for the things you need, but monthly contracts allow you to cancel your insurance at any time.
Even though Cove does not offer more basic insurance policies, you may find that its coverage suits your needs and your budget. It’s always a good idea to shop around and make sure that you find the right deal with a premium that you are comfortable with.
More guides on Finder
What is a novated lease?
If you want to reduce your taxable income but get something for it, such as your next car, you can consider salary sacrificing it with a novated lease. Find out exactly how it works and if its right for you.
What is the best credit card to use overseas?
Compare credit cards that offer no foreign transaction fees, complimentary insurance, Airpoints and airport lounge passes so you can find the right card to take overseas.
Uber car rentals
Renting a vehicle to drive with Uber gives you an easy way to get an eligible vehicle as well as have your insurance covered. Find out how it works and how to sign up today.
24% of Kiwi motorists have collided with an uninsured driver
Kiwi drivers may be putting themselves and others at risk by not taking out car insurance, according to new research by Finder, a car insurance comparison website in New Zealand.
How much can you really make as an Uber driver?
Is signing up as an UberX driver worth it? Use the calculator and read our guide to find out how much you might expect to make.
Finder Car Insurance Consumer Survey 2020
We asked more than 2,000 Kiwis about their experiences with and thoughts on car insurance in New Zealand. This is what they said.
Home insurance shakeup? Startup Cove expanding into new market
Innovative car insurer Cove will soon offer house and contents insurance products. We look at the Kiwi company’s plans to disrupt the market.
Emma Sleep discount codes and coupons March 2021
Try a new mattress from Emma Sleep for 100 days to see if it’s right for you. Free delivery and returns.
Save on driving costs – our top 25 tips
Keen to save money on your driving costs? Our comprehensive guide shows you how.
Community Services Card – a guide
A guide to Work and Income’s Community Services Card.