Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.

BBH Backpacker Motor Vehicle Insurance Review

Temporary visitor to New Zealand? Insure your vehicle for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months for legal liability, fire and theft.


Fact checked
Picture not described

To make the most of your time in New Zealand as a temporary visitor or holidaymaker, it makes sense to purchase your own car, campervan or motorbike if you’re staying for a few months or even a year.

Finding a vehicle insurance company that will cover if you get into an accident can be difficult, and you may be left crossing your fingers that nothing bad happens while you are on the road.

Thankfully it is possible to get vehicle insurance as a visitor so you can enjoy your time cruising from place to place with some peace of mind that there is a policy in place when the unexpected happens.

BBH Insurance is one provider that offers insurance for temporary visitors, so read on to find out more about the cover options, exclusions and excess. It may be more affordable than you think.

What cover options does BBH Insurance offer?

BBH Insurance has two cover options to choose from depending on the level of cover that you require. Each policy type is available for licensed drivers from 18 years of age, and can be taken out for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months.

Option 1: Legal Liability (third party)

This policy covers the legal liability for damage caused by your vehicle to property or people, up to a maximum of $1 million in one claim. So if you are in an accident and your vehicle causes damage to another vehicle or a building, this insurance covers the cost to repair the damage. It does not cover damage to your own vehicle.

Example pricing
If you’re over 25:

  • A 3-month policy will cost $80.43
  • A 6-month policy will cost $125.14
  • A 9-month policy will cost $200.92
  • A 12 month policy will cost $234.09.

Option 2: Legal Liability, Fire and Theft

This policy includes the third party legal liability cover outlined in Option 1 but it also provides some cover for your own vehicle if it is stolen or is damaged from fire.

When you make a claim under this policy for fire or theft, you will either be paid the amount it costs to repair your vehicle, the market value of your vehicle, or the vehicle will be repaired or replaced. The maximum amount payable on a claim is $3,500.

Example pricing
Choosing this option will add additional cost to the premium for Option 1.

If you’re over 25:

  • A 3 month policy will cost $139.31
  • A 6-month policy will cost $183. 32
  • A 9-month policy will cost $275.52
  • A 12-month policy will cost $329.86

What does BBH Insurance generally exclude?

BBH Insurance does not offer any comprehensive insurance policies that also include damage to your own vehicle if you are in an accident. While the Legal Liability policy includes cover for motorcycles, the Legal Liability, Fire and Theft policy does not.

General exclusions to BBH car insurance include:

  • Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Driving without the appropriate licence
  • Using the vehicle for racing
  • Driving the vehicle in an unsafe manner
  • Loss or damage caused by terrorism or war

When you take out the Legal Liability, Fire and Theft policy, there are certain things that you are not covered for:

  • Theft of a vehicle that is not locked and secured with keys removed, or in a securely locked building
  • Theft of accessories and parts if the whole vehicle has not been stolen
  • Loss of use

How much excess will I pay?

When you need to make a claim, a standard insurance excess of $500 applies.

How do I make a claim?

When you take out a policy with BBH Insurance you will be given a phone number to use in the event that you need to make a claim.

If you are in an accident, make sure to take note of as many details as possible to help with processing the claim. This includes:

  • Details of the other drivers involved
  • Contact details for any witnesses
  • A report of what happened
  • Photos of the scene and vehicles involved
  • A police report if applicable

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

  • Understanding money – a young person’s guide

    Our teenagers’ guide to money answers some common questions about money and finance.

  • 20 top money tips for students

    Be smart with your money while you get your qualification with these top student money tips.

  • Motor Vehicle Finance car loan

    Get the best rate for your circumstances with a car loan from Motor Vehicle Finance. Answers within two hours.

  • New Zealand’s burglary hotspots

    A Finder analysis of New Zealand Police data revealed that in 2019, there were 68,765 home break-ins across New Zealand. Read on to find out how your city stacks up, and how to protect your home from theft.

  • Traffic offences have cost Kiwis more than $272 million

    Kiwi drivers are racking up millions of dollars in traffic fines each year according to Finder, a car insurance comparison site recently launched in New Zealand.

  • No medical life insurance

    Depending on the applicant and the type of life insurance policy, there may be no medical tests required.

  • Term life insurance

    Find out how term life insurance actually works.

  • Business vehicle finance

    If you’re looking for a car for your business, compare your finance options and get your business on the road with the right loan.

  • NZ Car Theft Statistics 2020

    A Finder analysis of New Zealand police data shows that a car was vandalised or stolen every 21 minutes in 2019 – and this number is only set to increase. Find out where the biggest car theft hotspots are, and how to protect your vehicle.

  • NZ Safe Driving Report 2020

    Finder research shows over 2.7 million Kiwis are driving dangerously on the roads. Find out what New Zealand’s riskiest drivers are, and how your own driving stacks up.

Go to site