Whether you are already a customer or not, ANZ provides three insurance policies for Kiwis looking to cover their vehicle. You can take advantage of ways to save on your premium and enjoy a no claim bonus if you are a careful driver. You can easily compare the various benefits side by side on the ANZ website before obtaining an online quote.
ANZ – key facts
- ANZ’s car insurance policies are underwritten by Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited which has a financial strength rating of A+ (Strong).
- ANZ has branches throughout New Zealand and a customer care line that is available 8am to 8.30pm on weekdays, and 9am to 5pm on weekends. It has a self-service Claims Portal for lodging claims online.
- One of New Zealand’s largest financial institutions, ANZ has partnered with some of New Zealand’s leading insurance providers to offer a range of other insurance products, including house and contents, travel, and life insurance.
What cover options does ANZ car insurance offer?
Like with many insurers, ANZ offers three types of car insurance policies. Each has its own benefits and the right one for you can be determined by the level of risk you are willing to accept and the amount you are prepared to pay for your premium. At a minimum, you should take out third party insurance, but comprehensive cover has more features and means that you’ll have less financial strain should you be in an accident.
Comprehensive car insurance covers you for just about everything (exclusions apply) when it comes to unexpected events. If you want the most amount of cover for peace of mind, this is the policy to get.
This policy includes the following benefits:
- Windscreen and window repair for free without needing to pay an excess
- Cover for damage to your car up to the amount specified in your policy
- Legal liability of up to $20 million
- Cover for damage caused by uninsured third party drivers
- Up to $1,000 for locks and keys
- Reasonable costs for towing of the vehicle
- Up to $1,000 for a trailer
- Up to $500 for emergency travel and accommodation
- Personal injury cover
- Replacement of your severely damaged car if it is less than 1 year old and has less than 15,000 kilometres on the odometer
- Premium discounts for excluding younger drivers and installing security features
If you want more than just cover for liability to other people’s property, third party fire and theft insurance will also cover your vehicle if it is stolen or damaged by fire.
The benefits included in this policy are:
- Cover for your vehicle up to its market value in the event of fire or theft
- Legal liability of up to $20 million
- Legal costs if you damage someone else’s property
- Up to $3,000 if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver proven to be at fault
- Up to $500 for towing of the vehicle
ANZ’s third party insurance policy covers the cost of repairs for other people’s vehicles when you are at fault, as well as liability protection.
Benefits in the third party policy include:
- Up to $20 million for legal liability if you damage another person’s vehicle or property
- Cover of up to $3,000 if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver and they are proven to be at fault
What is excluded by ANZ?
All insurers have certain exclusions to their policies that they won’t accept claims for. ANZ will refuse claims relating to:
- Drivers that are uninsured or without a valid licence
- Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Unsafe or unroadworthy vehicle use
- Your vehicle being used outside its intended use such as a taxi or for commercial use
- Damage to mechanical parts unless caused by an insured event
- Wear and tear
- Punctures or burst tyres
- Defects in the design or material of the vehicle
- If your car is used for motorsports or driven on a race track
How much excess will I pay?
When you take out a comprehensive policy with ANZ, you can choose a standard excess or an increased voluntary excess that you will be required to pay when you make a claim. The higher your excess, the lower your premium is and vice versa.
If you opt for either a third party or third party fire and theft policy your excess is set at the standard excess.
In some cases additional excesses may apply including:
- Imposed excess for particular vehicles
- Special excess for a particular person
- New driver excess for inexperienced drivers
- International excess for drivers who don’t hold a licence from New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, the UK or Ireland
- Underage excess for drivers under 25
How to save on your ANZ car insurance policy
- Multi-policy discount. By having two or more insurance policies with ANZ you can enjoy a multi-policy discount. This applies to house, car, contents and boat insurance.
- Exclude under 25s. You can get a discount on your comprehensive policy by excluding drivers under 25 years old.
- Drive carefully. Enjoy a no claim discount for driving safely.
- Install an alarm. Added security features reduce your premium.
How do I make a claim?
To make a claim you will need to visit the Vero claims portal to enter your information, policy number, details of what happened and details of any other people involved. You are given a claim number and then contacted within two business days regarding the next steps.
Other benefits of getting insurance with ANZ
You can add one of the following benefits to your comprehensive policy:
- Roadside assistance. Extend your cover to include roadside assistance so you can get a helping hand if you happen to run out of fuel, break down, get a flat tyre or battery or another roadside problem. This service is available 24/7. Roadside assistance is also an optional benefit for the third party fire & theft policy.
- No claims preservation extension. This optional benefit allows you to claim for one incident that is your fault without losing your no claim bonus for the next year.
If you currently have your finances with ANZ, then it makes sense to keep all your financial matters in one place. The comprehensive policy has a lot to offer and you can still have peace of mind with a third party or third party fire & theft policy for your vehicle. Even if you don’t already have accounts or insurance with this bank, you can certainly take out an ANZ insurance policy if you find the right option to suit your needs and budget. However, being in a competitive market, it is possible that you may find a better deal elsewhere, so take your time comparing the different options.
More guides on Finder
Compare Car Loans
Compare the best car loans in New Zealand to get on the road faster and keep more money in your pocket.
Complacent Kiwis: 9 in 10 are paying the ‘lazy tax’
Complacency when it comes to financial products is hurting the hip pocket of nearly the entire country, according to new research by Finder.
Lazy Tax Report 2021
Finder’s Lazy Tax Report found 9 out of 10 Kiwis are missing out on a better deal by sticking with the same provider.
Charge ’em up: 45% of Kiwis would consider an electric car
New Zealand’s interest in electric cars is accelerating, with Finder research revealing nearly half of the population would consider an electric vehicle as their next car.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Pet insurance for older dogs and cats
Discover some funds that cover senior pets, what to look for in a policy and how you can help your furry friend feel comfortable in their twilight years.
Pet insurance with no waiting period
Getting immediate pet insurance is a little difficult. This handy guide helps you discover how long you have to wait before your pet is covered.
Desexing Your Pet
If you have a furry friend in your life, it’s essential to consider desexing. There is a range of benefits to having your pet desexed and best of all, pet insurance may cover it. Read on to learn more.
Is pet insurance worth it?
Is pet insurance worth it or a waste of money? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
Campervan hire in Sydney | Where to book, what to know
Find your perfect home on wheels with campervan rentals in The Harbour City.