AA Car Insurance
Need car insurance? Take a look at the car insurance options available from the New Zealand Automobile Association.
With more than 1.4 million members, the New Zealand Automobile Association (AA) knows something about car ownership. Both members and non-members can apply for any one of the AA’s car insurance options.
You can get a quote for AA car insurance online. The AA will handle quotes, customer service and claims. Your policy will be underwritten by Vero New Zealand, which is part of the Suncorp Group, a large Australian insurer.
What cover options does AA car insurance offer?
You can buy as much or as little cover as you like when you insure your car with the AA. Comprehensive insurance will cover most car risks, but at a higher price, so consider third-party insurance if you’re on a strict budget.
AA’s comprehensive car insurance policy covers you for fire and theft as well as for accidents, even if your driving was at fault. You get plenty of extras too.
Here is a summary of the benefits:
- Cover for damage in case of an accident where an uninsured driver is at fault
- Cover for the agreed value of your car in case of theft
- Cover for the agreed value of your car if it is written off after an accident
- Cover to repair or replace your car if it is damaged in a fire
- Liability cover of up to $20 million in case you are in an accident where you are liable for damage to another person’s property
- Cover to transport your car to a place of safety if it cannot be driven
- Cover to get you and your passengers home if you cannot use your car after an accident
- Up to $500 for temporary accommodation if you cannot drive home
- Optional rental cover, so you can get a rental car if your car is under repair
- Up to $750 to pay for the replacement of keys and locks, with no excess
- Up to $1,000 for damage to your trailer
This policy will cover you for damage caused to another party’s property due to your driving and for reimbursement if your car is stolen or damaged in a fire.
This level of cover includes the following:
- Up to $4,000 if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver, whom you can identify
- Up to $20 million if you cause an accident that results in damage to another party’s property
- Cover for the agreed value of your car if it is stolen or written off after an accident
- Cover to repair or replace your car if it is damaged in a fire
- Option to purchase windscreen and window cover, with no excess payable
A third-party policy from the AA will ensure you’re covered if you are liable for damage to another person’s property, including their car.
Your cover includes the following:
- A maximum of $4,000 if you are in an accident that is the fault of an uninsured driver, whom you can identify
- $20 million in legal liability cover, which pays out if you are at fault in an accident that causes damage to another party’s property
What does AA car insurance generally exclude?
The AA’s list of exclusions is similar to those of most car insurance providers. These are the main points that the AA excludes:
- Modifications to your vehicle that the AA has not specifically agreed to cover
- Use of your car to transport business merchandise, stock or hazardous materials
- Use of your car to carry passengers that pay a fare
- If your vehicle is overloaded or otherwise operated in an unsafe way
- If your vehicle is used for racing, off-roading, tests or trials
- Accidents where the driver is under the influence of drugs or over the legal alcohol limit
- Unlicensed drivers or drivers advised to avoid driving by a medical practitioner
- If the driver of your car leaves the scene of the accident
- Defence of criminal charges against you
- Damage resulting from a mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Claims resulting from war, terrorism or a nuclear incident
- Tyre damage not due to malicious damage
How much excess will I pay?
Your excess will be specified in your policy schedule. An excess is an amount you need to pay towards each individual claim, the AA will pay the remainder of the costs. There is an exception for the glass damage policy option, which carries zero excess.
Under certain circumstances, the AA will reimburse the excess to you. You will qualify for zero excess if an accident is the fault of another person whom you can identify and if this person admits their involvement in the accident.
How to save on your AA car insurance policy
- AA membership. You save on your premiums if you are a member of the New Zealand AA, with higher discounts the longer you have been an AA member.
- Policy discounts. Save when you take out any two or more policies at the same time. The discount is automatically applied on renewal too.
- Limit your cover. Opting for a third party policy will reduce your premium but beware that you won’t be covered if your car is stolen or if you are at fault in an accident.
- Reduce options. The AA offers valuable options, including rental car cover and excess-free glass damage, but adding these options will increase your premium.
- Increase your excess. Pick a higher excess at the quotation stage to reduce your premium.
How do I make a claim?
You can submit a claim request online or phone the AA to start your claim. The AA will require that you take the following steps:
- Inform the police of the accident
- Provide full details of the accident to the AA
- Provide full details of all parties involved to the AA
- Obtain permission from the AA before engaging in repair work
- Ensure your vehicle is available for inspection by the AA
What makes AA car insurance different?
Every car insurer has a unique set of benefits. You may want to consider the AA for car insurance to gain access to the following benefits:
- Repair guarantee. Repairs made as a consequence of a claim are guaranteed for the lifetime of your vehicle. Both parts and workmanship are guaranteed, and the guarantee is valid for future owners too.
- Drivers under 25. You can allow a younger driver who is not on your policy to drive your car, and still file a claim in case of an accident. There is a separate excess payable if the driver under 25 is not named on your policy.
- Excess-free glass damage. Available as an add-on option to policies, excluding third party cover. Any damage to your windscreen and windows will be covered, and you won’t be charged an excess.
Car insurance from the AA can comprehensively cover you for many of the most common risks associated with car ownership and driving. Alternatively, you can trim your cover and in turn pay a lower premium.
There are other ways to save too, including paying for your premium on an annual basis, taking out AA membership and buying multiple insurance policies from the AA.
Though the AA’s car insurance policies offer comprehensive cover, you should always compare the coverage, benefits and premiums from a range of other providers in New Zealand to ensure you get the best deal.
Read more on this topic
Multi-car insurance Insuring all your cars on the same multi-car insurance policy can be a great way to save on your premiums.
Onsite caravan insurance Read our guide to learn what you need to know about insuring an onsite caravan.
Car Insurance Claims Explained Complete guide of what to do if you have to submit a car insurance claim including how to prepare for a claim.
Will my car insurance cover paint damage? Discover if your car insurance policy will cover you for paint damage with this guide.
Car insurance excess Your comprehensive guide to car insurance excess, what it is and when it needs to be paid.
How to find cheap truck insurance in New Zealand Complete guide to getting insurance for trucks in New Zealand.
Car insurance exclusions Your comprehensive guide to car insurance exclusions and the situations and events your policy won’t cover.
The Warehouse Car Insurance With three levels of cover to choose from and a no-stress claims process, Warehouse Money’s car insurance is worth checking out.
Car gap insurance Gap insurance covers the difference between the cash value of the car and balance remaining on the car.
Trade Me Car Insurance With a 15% discount on premiums, Trade Me members should consider a car insurance policy from Trade Me.