Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Finder Car Insurance Consumer Survey 2020
38% of Kiwis have been the victim of a hit and run and 89% think car insurance should be mandatory.
We surveyed more than 2,000 New Zealanders on their experiences with car insurance – from what they want most from their cover, to incidents with uninsured drivers. This is what they told us.
The survey questions
Select a question to jump to those responses.
- Do you think car insurance should be mandatory?
- What type of car insurance cover do you have?
- Have you ever had your car damaged and the offending driver didn’t hang around?
- Have you ever been in a car accident where one of the two cars involved was not insured?
- What factors are most important to you when choosing a car insurance policy?
- When you last made a car insurance claim were you satisfied with the outcome?
- What was the main reason why you were unsatisfied?
- A huge majority believe car insurance should be made mandatory in New Zealand
- Younger respondents were less likely to have the opinion that car insurance should be mandatory.
- Comprehensive is the most popular car insurance type by far
- Those in Gen Y and Gen Z are much more likely to have third party cover than those of older generations
- Respondents were more likely to have had their car damaged and offending driver did not hang around than any other option
- Only 35% said their car had never been damaged
- Almost a quarter of respondents (22%) have been in car accident in which the other driver was unisured
- Only 2% of Baby Boomers say they’ve been in an accident in which their car was uninsured
- Overall, the price of insurance is the most important factor when choosing cover
- But price is more important to younger generations. 91% of Gen Z chose price as the most important factor versus 70% of Baby Boomers
- A family recommendation is much more valuable to those new to driving. 17% of Gen Z chose it as the most important factor.
- Generally, Kiwis are happy with their performance of their insurer at claim time
- Women are less likely to have made a claim than men
- Getting a smaller payout than expected at claim time was most common reason respondents were unhappy with car insurance provider
- 15% were unsatisfied as they were told they were not covered for the incident in question
This survey was designed by Finder and conducted by Qualtrics, a SAP company.
It was conducted online in July 2020 using a nationally representative sample of 2,001 New Zealand residents aged 18 and over.
To learn more about the survey or to request a full copy of the data, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
More guides on Finder
Finder consumer Christmas spending report 2020
We asked more than 2000 Kiwis what they would be spending their money on this Christmas and how. This is what we found out
Honesty is the best policy: 1 in 6 Kiwis have lied on their car insurance application
Thousands of Kiwis are at risk of having their car insurance claims rejected, according to research by Finder, a car insurance comparison site that has recently launched in New Zealand
NZ Car Theft Statistics 2020
A Finder analysis of New Zealand police data shows that a car was vandalised or stolen every 21 minutes in 2019 – and this number is only set to increase. Find out where the biggest car theft hotspots are, and how to protect your vehicle.
NZ Safe Driving Report 2020
Finder research shows over 2.7 million Kiwis are driving dangerously on the roads. Find out what New Zealand’s riskiest drivers are, and how your own driving stacks up.
How long after a car accident can you file a claim?
Find out how long you have to file your car insurance claim.
Does car insurance cover damage from potholes?
Does your insurer over you for pothole damage, or should the local council pay? Find out more in our guide.
Car insurance for under 21s
Under 21 and looking for affordable car insurance? Here’s what you need to know.
Car insurance for hail and storm damage
Steps to prepare for a claim if your car is damaged in a storm. Find out what to avoid and what to do in a claim.
Dealer finance vs lender car finance
A lot of dealer finance options can seem like the better deal when you’re reviewing the terms – and the same can be said about lender car finance. But which one is really the better option?
Hit and run car insurance
Everything you need to know about car insurance claims when your vehicle is damaged in a hit-and-run.