Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy Roblox Corporation (RBLX) stock from New Zealand when it goes public
Here's everything we know so far about the Roblox Corporation IPO.
Updated . What changed?
Roblox Corporation stock is not yet available to purchase on any exchange. But it’s expected to go public soon. Here’s what we know — and how to buy in from New Zealand when the company goes public.
Roblox will be listed on the NYSE, a US stock exchange, under the ticker symbol RBLX. If you want to buy in from New Zealand, you’ll need to find a share trading platform that provides access to US stocks, such as Stake, Hatch or Sharesies.
Note: all dollar amounts on this page are in US dollars unless otherwise stated.
What we know about the Roblox Corporation IPO
California-based gaming platform Roblox has filed an S-1 form with the SEC to go public. It plans to launch on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol RBLX. Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley are leading the deal, among others.
No share price or date has been announced. Initially, there were rumors that it could go public as soon as early December 2020, but the IPO has since been delayed until 2021.
Founded in 2004, Roblox offers a sweeping collection of online games coupled with a game creation system that allows users to program their own games.
Amid the pandemic, the game has been particularly popular amongst US kids between the ages of 9 to 12, helping them host hangouts and virtual birthday parties during stay-at-home orders. Reports suggest the company has its sights set on an $8 billion valuation.
We’ll update this page with more information as soon as it becomes available.
How to buy shares in Roblox Corporation when it goes public
Once Roblox Corporation goes public, you’ll need a share trading account to invest. Consider opening a brokerage account today so you’re ready as soon as the stock hits the market.
- Compare share trading platforms. If you’re a beginner, look for a platform with low commissions, expert ratings and investment tools to track your portfolio. Narrow down top brands with our comparison table.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and bank information. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Roblox Corporation. Find the stock by name or ticker symbol: RBLX. Research its history to confirm it’s a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy immediately with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Roblox Corporation reaches your desired price. To spread out your purchase, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. Weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market’s ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Roblox Corporation, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and the business as a whole — performs over the long run. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on management decisions that can affect your stock.
Roblox’s balance sheet
As a result of stay-at-home orders initiated by the COVID-19 pandemic and consumers seeking at-home entertainment options, Roblox has done well. According to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence, Roblox’s March 2020 revenue increased by 28% month-over-month to $69.8 million, followed by a 34% increase in April to $93.2 million. The momentum carried through to turn May 2020 into a record-breaking month for the company, yielding $102.9 million in global player spending.
The US accounts for approximately 66% of Roblox’s total revenue, but Great Britain and Canada are also big contributors. As of 2020, there are over 164 million people actively playing Roblox. To date, the platform’s mobile app has been downloaded more than 380 million times across the Apple App Store and Google Play.
With the release of its S-1 filing, we had the opportunity to take a closer look at Roblox’s balance sheet. The company reported $349.8 million in revenue for the nine months ended September 30, 2019. For the same period in 2020, Roblox’s revenue rose to $588.6 million. Unfortunately, Roblox’s revenue isn’t the only thing on the rise. For the first three quarters of 2019, it reported a net loss of $46.3 million — a figure that more than quadrupled to $203.2 million in 2020.
Like many tech-oriented startups, Roblox isn’t profitable. And while its revenue appears to be on an upward trajectory, it continues to report sizable losses.
How do similar companies perform?
It’s impossible to predict how any stock will perform — and IPOs can be particularly volatile. But evaluating the performance of companies like Roblox Corporation can be useful in determining how the market is performing and whether now is a good time to invest in this industry.
Here’s how similar companies have performed:
Compare trading platforms that provide access to US stocks
More guides on Finder
How to buy Innoviz Technologies (INVZ) stock in New Zealand when it goes public
Here’s everything we know so far about the Innoviz Technologies IPO.
Finder’s 2021 Bitcoin Predictions Report
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
How to buy shares in Wish (WISH)
A high degree of industry competition and a multitude of other tech-focused IPOs may affect the launch of this e-commerce platform’s stock.
How to buy stock in Airbnb (ABNB)
This vacation-rental giant is now publicly trading. Here’s how you can buy shares in it from New Zealand.
What does the future hold for investments?
Finder speaks with 33 investment experts about what the future of investing might hold.
Electric vehicle (EV) stocks to watch and how to invest
We take a closer look at six popular EV stocks and what they have to offer to Kiwi investors.
How to invest in the ASX 200
Your simple guide to the S&P/ASX 200, how it works, and how to invest in this benchmark index from NZ.
What is the S&P 500 and how can I invest in it from New Zealand?
Find out the different ways you can invest in the S&P 500 index from New Zealand.
Invest in Nikkei 225
Major stocks and ETFs to watch for investors interested in the Nikkei 225.
How to buy JFrog shares (FROG)
Its financials look promising, but competition in this sector is fierce.