Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Vodafone broadband deals
Find out how you can get monthly discounts and $300 credit when you sign up for a Vodafone broadband plan.
Updated . What changed?
Is Vodafone broadband right for me?
- What Vodafone offers: A wide selection of plans and connection types.
- The highlights: A $300 broadband credit on some plans currently available; Vodafone Rewards; a discount on 24 month plans.
- Watch out for: Charges for going over your data allowance; not all connection types are aware available everywhere.
Vodafone is no stranger in the world of telecommunications. With a world-class mobile, landline and broadband network to provide reliable coverage and connection across New Zealand, it has plenty of products and unique perks for its 2.3 million customers. If you’re looking for a new broadband provider, Vodafone has a range of plans to choose from using almost every broadband connection type. Read on to find out more about Vodafone broadband plans and what’s on offer.
Compare Vodafone broadband plans
What broadband connections does Vodafone offer?
Before we get into Vodafone broadband plans, it’s good to first understand the connections that Vodafone uses to get you online. Depending on where you live, you may have one or a few possible options.
ADSL: ADSL uses Chorus’s copper network and is suitable for basic internet use. ADSL has a maximum download speed of 7.5Mbps and 24Mbps for ADSL2+.
VDSL: VDSL is faster than ADSL and available in 80% of homes. You can stream HD video and have a sharper picture on video calls with download speeds of up to 70Mbps and upload speeds of up to 30Mbps.
Fibre: Using fibre optic cables that are being rolled out through much of New Zealand, fibre provides a faster and more reliable connection than ADSL and VDSL. Fibre speeds vary depending on whether you have Fibre 100, Fibre 200 or Fibre Max, but you can have more users sharing the connection with a smoother experience.
Ultra-fast HFC: For the fastest connection, HFC is delivered through Vodafone’s hybrid fibre-coaxial copper network. You can expect speeds of up to 700-900Mbps down and up to 90-95 up for the Max plan, or up to 200Mbps down and up to 20Mbps up on the HFC 200 plan. HFC is only available in a small number of locations at the moment.
Wireless: Super-fast broadband over Vodafone’s 4G network. 5G is now available in selected areas.
Types of Vodafone broadband plans
Rather than trying to figure out what connections are available at your place, you can enter your address on the Vodafone website to be presented with your options.
If you are able to get Wireless 4G broadband, you can choose between a 60GB or a 120GB plan. No installation required, just plug in the modem and get started.
Copper and fibre plans
If you can get ADSL, VDSL, fibre or UltraFast HFC at your home, you can choose from one of the following naked Vodafone broadband plans.
- Vodafone Everyday Home. 240GB of data
- Vodafone Ultimate Home. Unlimited data
- Vodafone Smart Connect. Unlimited data
You have the option to choose a 12-month or 24-month contract, but open term is also available in most cases. Monthly costs are either the same for all included connection types or can vary. For example, the Ultimate Home plan is more expensive for Fibre Max and HFC Max than it is for ADSL.
Plans include free standard installation and a free modem unless you are choosing an open-term plan.
Getting connected to fibre
In many cases, you will be able to get up and running fairly quickly. However, if you are having fibre installed for the first time at your property, this process can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months.
A technician will need to visit your property and plan the installation, and then return to connect the fibre cables from the street which can involve extra building work. You may also need to get consent from neighbours if you share a driveway, or from your landlord if you are not the homeowner.
So you don’t need to wait to get online, Vodafone offers the Ultra Hub Plus modem so you can stay connected through 4G until fibre is ready to go.
Does Vodafone have any broadband bundles?
When you sign up you can create your own bundle with one of the following:
- Voice Calling. VDSL, fibre and Home Wireless plans have the option to add Voice Calling, which uses your Vodafone modem instead of the wall phone jack. It costs an extra $10 a month and includes free national calling to other landlines for a limit of 2 hours each call.
- Vodafone TV. If you have an unlimited fibre or ultra-fast HFC connection you can get Vodafone TV which comes with free-to-air channels and apps like Netflix, Lightbox, Neon and YouTube. Features include 3 Day Rewind and 500 hours of recording, plus you can add other SKY channels.
- Signup offers. Get $300 credit when you sign up on an eligible unlimited broadband plan. T&Cs apply.
- Vodafone customer discount. If you have an eligible Vodafone pay monthly mobile plan you can save $10 a month on your broadband plan.
- Wi-Fi while you wait. So you can get online while you are waiting for fibre to be connected, Vodafone will provide you with a 4G Sim enabled Ultra Hub Plus modem for $49.
- Vodafone Ninjas. If you have questions or need a hand with tricky tech stuff, Vodafone Ninjas are available to help online, in-store or by phone.
- Vodafone Rewards. All Vodafone customers can earn Vodafone Reward points and have access to exclusive offers and discounts.
- 30-day money-back guarantee. If you sign up for Wireless broadband and you are not enjoying the 4G experience, you can return your modem and get your money back.
- No joining fee for SKY. If your SKY TV service is charged to your Vodafone account you will have no joining fee on standard installations.
What to be aware of
- Not all Vodafone broadband plans are available everywhere, so make sure to enter your address on Vodafone’s website to find out what you can get.
- Broadband speeds can vary due to factors such as wiring, your hardware technology, how many people are using the service and environmental factors.
- If you join a plan and receive an account credit but decide to terminate your contract early, Vodafone will recover this amount.
- Vodafone TV is not available everywhere.
- Naked broadband plans are not compatible with services that require a fixed phone line to work such as faxes, medical alerts or monitored alarms.
- You will be charged $2 for every 1GB you go over your plan’s data allowance.
Can I get Vodafone broadband plans if I live in a rural area?
If you live in a rural area where other broadband connections are not available, you can opt for a Rural Broadband plan. You can choose between 120GB for $95.99 a month or 200GB for $155.99 a month, and if you run out of data you can purchase an extra 15GB for $20.
Depending on where you live, you may already have excellent 4G service, or a technician may need to install an aerial.
Vodafone broadband plan summary
Vodafone is worth considering if you want to have your broadband plan with one of the largest telecommunication companies in New Zealand. With 4G, 5G (in some locations), fibre, HFC, ADSL, VDSL and Rural Broadband plans, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting connected where you live.
There are some great perks such as Vodafone Rewards and discounts for mobile customers, plus you can get broadband credit if you sign up for an eligible plan during promotional periods. However Vodafone’s website can be a bit overwhelming, and it is not easy to find the prices for plans until you start the signup process.
Read more on this topic
Farmside broadband deals Learn more about Farmside’s broadband plans and prices and see if it’s right for your needs.
Compass broadband deals Compass stands out from the broadband crowd with prepaid or weekly payment options for unlimited broadband
Wireless Nation broadband deals Wireless Nation broadband is specifically designed for Kiwis that live rurally or in remote areas.
Voyager broadband deals If you’re looking for unlimited data without being tied into a long term contract, check out what Voyager has to offer.
Nova Energy broadband plans Sign up for broadband and energy with Nova Energy and enjoy an account credit, new TV or Plume Superpods.
Slow internet? We help you identify and solve the issue If you're suffering from slow download speeds or choppy Netflix streams, Internet congestion may be to blame.
Contact Energy broadband deals: Bundle and save Find out how you can save up to $25 a month on your broadband with a Broadband Bundle from Contact Energy.
VelocityNet broadband plans This Invercargill-based broadband provider has a range of plans from fibre to DSL and covers rural areas. See if VelocityNet is right for you.
WorldNet broadband deals Whether you are looking for ADSL, VDSL or lightning-fast fibre, WorldNet has something for everyone.
Netspeed broadband plans Netspeed can cover you if you live in a city or rurally and includes an optional phone plan. Find out more in our review.