Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Vodafone broadband deals
Find out how you can get monthly discounts and $100 credit when you sign up for a Vodafone broadband plan.
Is Vodafone broadband right for me?
Vodafone offers a wide selection of plans and connection types.
- The highlights: A $100 broadband credit on some plans currently available; Vodafone Rewards; a discount on bundled plans.
- Watch out for: Charges for going over your data allowance; not all connection types are aware available everywhere.
Vodafone is no stranger in the world of telecommunications. With a world-class mobile, landline and broadband network to provide reliable coverage and connection across New Zealand, it has plenty of products and unique perks for its 2.3 million customers. If you’re looking for a new broadband provider, Vodafone has a range of plans to choose from using almost every broadband connection type. Read on to find out more about Vodafone broadband plans and what’s on offer.
Compare Vodafone broadband plans
What broadband connections does Vodafone offer?
Before we get into Vodafone broadband plans, it’s good to first understand the connections that Vodafone uses to get you online. Depending on where you live, you may have one or a few possible options.
ADSL: ADSL uses Chorus’s copper network and is suitable for basic internet use. ADSL has a maximum download speed of 7.5Mbps and 24Mbps for ADSL2+.
VDSL: VDSL is faster than ADSL and available in 80% of homes. You can stream HD video and have a sharper picture on video calls with download speeds of up to 70Mbps and upload speeds of up to 30Mbps.
Fibre: Using fibre optic cables that are being rolled out through much of New Zealand, fibre provides a faster and more reliable connection than ADSL and VDSL. Fibre speeds vary depending on whether you have Fibre 100, Fibre 200 or Fibre Max, but you can have more users sharing the connection with a smoother experience.
Ultra-fast HFC: For the fastest connection, HFC is delivered through Vodafone’s hybrid fibre-coaxial copper network. You can expect speeds of up to 700-900Mbps down and up to 90-95 up for the Max plan, or up to 200Mbps down and up to 20Mbps up on the HFC 200 plan. HFC is only available in a small number of locations at the moment.
Wireless: Super-fast broadband over Vodafone’s 4G network. 5G is now available in selected areas.
Types of Vodafone broadband plans
Rather than trying to figure out what connections are available at your place, you can enter your address on the Vodafone website to be presented with your options.
If you are able to get Wireless 4G broadband, you can choose from a 300GB, 600GB, or unlimited plan. No installation required, just plug in the modem and get started.
Copper and fibre plans
If you can get ADSL, VDSL, fibre or UltraFast HFC at your home, you can choose from one of the following naked Vodafone broadband plans:
- Vodafone Broadband only. Unlimited data
- Vodafone Home Broadband only. Unlimited data
You have the option to choose a 12-month or 24-month contract, but open term is also available in most cases. Monthly costs are either the same for all included connection types or can vary.
Plans include free standard installation and a free modem unless you are choosing an open-term plan.
Getting connected to fibre
In many cases, you will be able to get up and running fairly quickly. However, if you are having fibre installed for the first time at your property, this process can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months.
A technician will need to visit your property and plan the installation, and then return to connect the fibre cables from the street which can involve extra building work. You may also need to get consent from neighbours if you share a driveway, or from your landlord if you are not the homeowner.
So you don’t need to wait to get online, Vodafone offers the Ultra Hub Plus modem so you can stay connected through 4G until fibre is ready to go.
Does Vodafone have any broadband bundles?
When you sign up you can create your own bundle with one of the following:
- Voice Calling. VDSL, fibre and Home Wireless plans have the option to add Voice Calling, which uses your Vodafone modem instead of the wall phone jack. It costs an extra $10 a month and includes free national calling to other landlines for a limit of 2 hours each call.
- Vodafone TV. If you have an unlimited fibre or ultra-fast HFC connection you can get Vodafone TV, which comes with free-to-air channels and apps like Netflix, Lightbox, Neon and YouTube. Features include 3 Day Rewind and 500 hours of recording, plus you can add other SKY channels.
- Signup offers. Get $100 credit when you sign up on an eligible broadband plan. T&Cs apply.
- Vodafone customer discount. If you have an eligible Vodafone pay monthly mobile plan you can save $10 a month on your broadband plan.
- WiFi while you wait. So you can get online while you are waiting for fibre to be connected, Vodafone will provide you with a 4G Sim enabled Ultra Hub Plus modem for $49.
- Vodafone Ninjas. If you have questions or need a hand with tricky tech stuff, Vodafone Ninjas are available to help online, in-store or by phone.
- Vodafone Rewards. All Vodafone customers can earn Vodafone Reward points and have access to exclusive offers and discounts.
- 30-day money-back guarantee. If you sign up for Wireless broadband and you are not enjoying the 4G experience, you can return your modem and get your money back.
- No joining fee for SKY. If your SKY TV service is charged to your Vodafone account you will have no joining fee on standard installations.
What to be aware of
- Not all Vodafone broadband plans are available everywhere, so make sure to enter your address on Vodafone’s website to find out what you can get.
- Broadband speeds can vary due to factors such as wiring, your hardware technology, how many people are using the service and environmental factors.
- If you join a plan and receive an account credit but decide to terminate your contract early, Vodafone will recover this amount.
- An early termination fee of $199 (12-month contract) or $299 (24-month contract) applies if you cancel or downgrade your broadband plan.
- Vodafone TV is not available everywhere.
- Naked broadband plans are not compatible with services that require a fixed phone line to work such as faxes, medical alerts or monitored alarms.
- You will be charged $2 for every 1GB you go over your plan’s data allowance.
Can I get Vodafone broadband plans if I live in a rural area?
If you live in a rural area where other broadband connections are not available, you can opt for a Rural Broadband plan. You can choose between 120GB for $95.99 a month or 200GB for $155.99 a month, and if you run out of data you can purchase an extra 15GB for $20. You can add a landline for an extra $10 per month.
Depending on where you live, you may already have excellent 4G service, or a technician may need to install an aerial.
Vodafone is worth considering if you want to have your broadband plan with one of the largest telecommunication companies in New Zealand. With 4G, 5G (in some locations), fibre, HFC, ADSL, VDSL and Rural Broadband plans, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting connected where you live.
There are some great perks, such as Vodafone Rewards and discounts for mobile customers, plus you can get broadband credit if you sign up for an eligible plan during promotional periods. However Vodafone’s website can be a bit overwhelming, and it is not easy to find the prices for plans until you start the signup process.
More guides on Finder
Finder Broadband Awards 2021
Find out which broadband providers Kiwis are most likely to recommend in the inaugural Finder Broadband Awards.
Slow internet? We help you identify and solve the issue
If you’re suffering from slow download speeds or choppy Netflix streams, Internet congestion may be to blame.
Everything you need to know about funding the purchase of a small business
Find out how to achieve your small business dreams by getting funding to buy a small business.
81% of Kiwis facing streaming issues as broadband traffic breaks new record
Around 3 million New Zealanders may potentially face disruption to their broadband service as internet usage peaks during the shutdown. Find out how to minimise streaming dropouts.
What is 5G? And just how fast is it?
Confused about what 5G really means? Check out our guide on what you need to know about 5G in NZ.
What is Hyperfibre?
If you thought fibre was fast, Chorus Hyperfibre is about to shake things up. This new broadband technology is being rolled out in 2020.
How to switch broadband providers
How to switch broadband providers to get a better Internet deal.
No contract broadband plans
Looking for a broadband plan with no long term commitments? Compare casual broadband plans to get the best value for money.
Compare cheap broadband plans
You don’t have to spend heaps on your broadband. Find out how to compare plans and how to save with our guide.
Fibre broadband deals
Fibre broadband delivers the fastest internet speeds available. Compare ultra fast broadband plans to find the best value for your needs today.