Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Slingshot broadband deals
Create a broadband bundle to suit your household and choose to pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
Updated . What changed?
Is Slingshot broadband right for me?
- What Slingshot offers: Copper and fibre broadband plans with a range of optional add-ons.
- The highlights: Free family filter for the first year; choose a payment frequency that suits you.
- Watch out for: Only offers fixed-term plans.
Slingshot has been providing broadband to Kiwis since 2001 and was created to challenge the telco industry with fair prices and good old fashioned service. Its broadband plans are designed for ease of use, with flexible payment options and a range of add-ons to complete the ideal package for your household.
When you sign up to Slingshot broadband, you can take advantage of monthly discounts if you also join Slingshot Power or Slingshot Mobile.
Read on to find out more about Slingshot broadband compares with the competition.
Compare Slingshot broadband plans
Types of plans offered by Slingshot
At Slingshot, you can choose from standard copper broadband or fibre broadband. All Slingshot broadband plans have a minimum 12-month term and come with free modem rental and standard installation.
Standard broadband (copper)
Slingshot standard broadband uses VDSL or ADSL to give you a solid connection. Choose between a 150GB plan or Unlimited, depending on how much data your household needs each month.
If you have fibre broadband available at your address, you can have a faster and more reliable connection than what standard broadband can provide. The 150GB and Unlimited plans have speeds of up to 100Mbps download and 20Mpbs upload, but if you’re looking for the fastest speed possible you can opt for the Unlimited Gigantic plan.
Unlimited Gigantic promises super-fast speeds of 900Mbps download and 450Mbps upload so gamers, streamers or households with lots of devices connecting at the same time can have a better experience.
Can anyone have fibre broadband?
The New Zealand government is rolling out an initiative to install fibre optic cables across the country, and once it’s complete, fibre will be available to 85% of Kiwis. You can find out if fibre is available at your place by entering your address on the Slingshot website.
Even if Slingshot indicates that fibre is available, it will need to be connected to your property if it hasn’t been already. This process involves a technician visiting your house to go through the installation requirements, extending the fibre cable to your property and completing internal wiring.
If you don’t own your home you will need to get consent from your landlord, and if you share a driveway then consent has to be given by your neighbours. Depending on the amount of work needed and if you need to get consent, the whole process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, but you don’t need to pay for the service.
Are there any bundled extras with Slingshot broadband?
When you go through the signup process on the Slingshot website, you can choose to add on or bundle the following:
- Slingshot Power. Add Slingshot Power and get a 10% prompt payment discount when you pay both bills on time.
- Slingshot Mobile. Get $5 off each month for every Slingshot mobile plan you bundle with your Slingshot broadband.
- Homeline. For $5 a month you can add a homeline and choose from national and international calling packs ranging from $5 to $25. For an additional $5 each month you can have the handy phone features of EasyPhone such as call waiting, voicemail and caller ID.
- Antivirus software. ESET NOD32 Antivirus protects you from malware such as spyware, viruses, adware and trojans for $5 per month.
- Wiring insurance. Wiring is subject to wear and tear or damage, so this $3.95 a month insurance covers a qualified technician to make repairs as necessary.
- Family Filter. Protect your family from unsavoury content with the Family Filter. This is free for the first 12 months then a $5 per month charge applies.
Once you’ve signed up to Slingshot broadband, you can also add on Google Wi-Fi for $15 a month. Google Wi-Fi is a system that delivers seamless coverage to every device connected throughout your home. While the Slingshot modem is suitable for small to average size homes with up to 20 devices, Google Wi-Fi creates a blanket of connectivity and provides a better broadband experience in larger homes or if you have more than 20 devices connected at the same time.
- Premium Wi-Fi modem. A premium Wi-Fi modem is provided with all high-speed broadband plans for a smooth experience. You can upgrade to Google Wi-Fi for an additional fee per month.
- No data caps. If you have an unlimited data plan, there are no data caps or usage policies to abide by.
- Free family filter. Get the family filter to protect your household from inappropriate content free for the first 12 months.
- Different payment options. Choose to pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly on unlimited plans. With optional add-ons to choose from when you sign up, you can create a broadband experience based on your needs.
What to be aware of
- Slingshot doesn’t offer open-term broadband plans, so make sure you are able to commit for at least 12 months or you’ll need to pay an early termination fee.
- Fibre may not be at available at your place at the moment, but it could be in the near future. It may be possible to find out when it will be coming to your area so you can either stick with your existing plan or change to a Slingshot standard broadband then transfer to fibre at a later date.
Slingshot broadband is worth considering if you are looking for a hassle-free internet experience at an affordable price. It has a simple signup process where you decide what add-ons you need for your home, plus choose to join Slingshot Power or Slingshot mobile for monthly discounts.
Even if you aren’t able to get fibre at your home, Slingshot standard copper broadband will still provide a solid connection and you can make the switch to fibre at a later time.
More guides on Finder
Bluehost discount codes and coupons November 2020 | FREE domain name for 1-year
Bluehost offers five different types of web hosting, so you can get exactly what you need for your website.
Just Host discount codes and coupons November 2020 | 30-day money back guarantee
Get your new website up and running quickly and easily with Just Host shared, VPS and dedicated hosting plans.
InMotion discount codes and coupons November 2020 | Premium web hosting starting at $2.49/mo
InMotion offers 5 types of web hosting, so you can scale up easily when your site expands. Save with our promos.
Alannah Hill discount codes and coupons November 2020 | 3 Face Masks $20
Pick up styles that will carry you from the office to the bar for less with one of these Alannah Hill discount codes.
Invideo discount codes and coupons November 2020 | $10 a month for video content
Create professional looking videos for your website or to upload on Instagram or YouTube. Save with our promos.
Brizy Cloud discount codes and coupons November 2020 | $99 a year for Studio plan
Brizy Cloud lets you easily create landing pages and websites to attract new customers. Save with our promos.
Cordless phone buying guide: How to choose the best phone for your home
If you want to buy a cordless phone but don’t know where to start, this guide will help you compare the features, specs and prices of top cordless phones.
ANZ Cashback Visa Platinum
The ANZ CashBack Visa Platinum allows you to earn cash back for everyday purchases, plus the first annual fee is waived when you sign up.
Find out how you can get zero interest and no repayments for 3 months on all purchases when you use your Q Mastercard.
Sonos Arc review
Sonos’s massive soundbar produces some astonishing sound once you’ve got it set up, although its asking price may put it out of reach of many.