Is Hotshot right for me?
- What does Hotshot offer?: Unlimited fibre broadband plans at competitive prices
- The highlights: No contracts, different fibre speeds
- Watch out for: Not available in all areas, no landline services, plan fees are paid in advance
With various telecommunication companies offering all kinds of broadband connections and plans, it can be difficult to decide on the right one for you. Hotshot is one ISP that believes Kiwis deserve the best-priced plans that are easy to understand. It keeps things simple with only fibre broadband plans, and doesn’t lock you into a long term contract.
Compare Hotshot broadband plans
Types of Hotshot broadband plans
Hotshot offers unlimited fibre broadband plans to Kiwis that are able to get the service at their home. There are four plans to choose from, each with different download and upload speeds. With no contracts to worry about being tied in to, you can leave, downgrade or upgrade at any time.
- Unlimited Fibre 30. 30Mbps download/10Mbps upload. The cheapest plan, suitable for browsing and streaming in small households.
- Unlimited Fibre 100. 100Mbps download/20Mbps upload. Fibre 100 gives you faster download times and a more seamless experience when binge-watching your favourite Netflix show.
- Unlimited Fibre 200. 200Mbps download/20Mbps upload. With even faster speeds, Fibre 200 allows different members of your household to stream at the same time without waiting for shows to buffer.
- Unlimited Fibre Max. 950Mbps download/500Mbps upload. The best choice for heavy streamers of Internet TV, gamers or large households, Fibre Max provides the fastest and most reliable broadband connection available from Hotshot.
If you don’t have your own router, you will need to purchase one before you can get set up. Hotshot has three types of routers that you can order when you go through the sign-up process.
- Phicomm K2: A standard router suitable for smaller homes – $99.
- Tenda MW3: This 2-piece router provides coverage for 100-200m² homes – $198.
- Tenda MW6: A set of 3 units that can provide fast internet coverage for homes of up to 6,000 sq ft – $297.
- No contracts. Where other providers lock you in for at least 12 months on their broadband plans, Hotshot gives you the flexibility to leave or cancel your plan whenever you need to.
- Unlimited data. With no data caps, you can stream, download and game without worrying about how much data you’ve used.
- Unthrottled speeds. Hotshot won’t slow your speeds down.
- Use your own router. If you already have a router that is compatible with Hotshot broadband, you can use this instead of purchasing a new one.
Watch out for
- Fibre is not available in all areas of New Zealand. If it’s not available at your place at the moment, it may be in the future. You can subscribe to Hotshot’s newsletter for more information.
- Standard installation is included for $29.50, but additional building work may be required depending on the type of property that you live in.
- If you already have fibre installed at your place, you will be able to get set up within seven working days. If fibre needs to be connected to your house, it could take up to three months.
- There is no landline service with Hotshot broadband, so if you need one, you will need to get this from another provider.
- While fibre speeds are indicated with each plan, these may vary due to factors such as the capacity of local infrastructure, your computer and programmes you are using, the websites you access and how many other customers are using the service at the same time.
While Hotshot claims to have the cheapest price in New Zealand for fibre plans, it pays to shop around and compare options from other companies. However, with competitive prices, unlimited data and no contracts, Hotshot is worth considering if you are wanting to make the switch from your current broadband provider.
More guides on Finder
Review: Interactive Brokers online share trading broker
Interactive Brokers offers some of the lowest brokerage fees on the market, but there are caveats you need to be wary of.
Kiwi Car Loans review
Borrow up to $500,000 for your new vehicle, caravan, boat or motorcycle with a secured or unsecured finance from Kiwi Car Loans.
ScotPac business finance review
Access business, trade or invoice finance for businesses of all sizes from ScotPac.
Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Standard Visa Review
With a faster way to earn travel rewards and opportunity to earn complimentary lounge vouchers, the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Standard Visa is worth considering.
Kiwibank Platinum Visa credit card
The Kiwibank Platinum Visa gives you an interest rate of 13.95% p.a., overseas travel insurance and a credit limit of up to $20,000.
The Lending People car loan
The Lending People work with a number of lenders to help you get the best car finance for your situation.
Sprint Finance car loan
Borrow up to $50,000 for a new vehicle with the right lender for your personal circumstances.
ANZ Cashback Visa Platinum
The ANZ CashBack Visa Platinum allows you to earn cash back for everyday purchases, plus the first annual fee is waived when you sign up.
Find out how you can get zero interest and no repayments for 3 months on all purchases when you use your Q Mastercard.
Nectar Unsecured Car Loans
Find out how you can get an unsecured Nectar car loan of up to $20,000 with instant approval.