Is Contact broadband right for me?
Contact offers unlimited broadband plans for energy customers.
- The highlights: Save up to $30 a month with Broadband Bundle.
- Watch out for: You do need a residential electricity account at the same address you want your broadband.
It wasn’t that long ago that energy companies were only relied on for electricity and gas, and internet service providers supplied us with our internet. But these days, we are seeing more companies offering a mixture of services, and enticing customers with discounts for keeping their energy and broadband services together.
Contact is one such company who offers broadband plans along with electricity and gas. Not only can bundling your utilities together save you money, but you also have fewer bills and fewer providers to worry about when managing your household.
Read on to find out more about Contact’s broadband service and how much you could save on your monthly bill.
Compare Contact Energy broadband plans
Contact Energy broadband plans
If you are already a Contact customer for electricity, you can sign up for the broadband service, but new customers will need to sign up for both electricity and broadband at the same time.
When you sign up, you can choose a plan for your electricity:
- Basic with simple energy rates;
- Everyday Bonus Fixed which includes $150 off your first bill; or
- Fuel Rewards Plus which gives you a 30c per litre fuel discount once a month.
Then you can choose ADSL, VDSL or fibre broadband based on what is available at your place. There are three types of fibre plans depending on the speed that you need – Fast Fibre, Faster Fibre or Max Fibre.
Maximum download and upload speeds that you can expect with Contact broadband are as follows:
- Max Fibre: 900Mbps down/500Mbps up
- Faster Fibre: 200Mbps down/20Mbps up
- Fast Fibre: 100Mbps down/20Mbps up
- VDSL: 70Mbps down/15Mbps up
- ADSL: 10Mbps down/2Mbps up
All broadband plans are unlimited, so you don’t need to worry about deciding how much data you will need each month.
Contact Energy Broadband Bundle
To save on your broadband bill, rather than choosing one of the electricity plans mentioned above, you can opt for a Broadband Bundle. This allows you to bundle your electricity or your electricity and gas together with your broadband to enjoy a monthly discount of up to $30 depending on the connection type. A modem is provided free of charge.
|Connection||Broadband Bundle price||Standard monthly price|
|Max Fibre||From $79.99||$109.99|
|Faster Fibre||From $79.99||$94.99|
|Fast Fibre||From $59.99||$69.99|
Are there any bundled extras with Contact broadband?
As well as having your broadband and energy on one bill, you can add a landline service. This costs $10 a month and includes unlimited national landline calls.
Calling packages are also available, with options for New Zealand mobiles or international calling to 10 countries.
- Free modem. When you sign up for Contact broadband you will be given a new modem to use free of charge. You are welcome to use your own, but it may need some reprogramming to meet Contact’s technical requirements.
- No fixed contract. Rather than committing to 12 or 24 months, Contact does not lock you into a long-term plan. Having no fixed contract means that you can cancel or change at any time.
- Upgrade to fibre. If you are keen to get fibre but don’t have a connection to your home just yet, you could be waiting weeks or months for the installation process. Instead, you can sign up for the ADSL or VDSL. By doing this you can get online as soon as possible and then Contact will upgrade you to fibre once the process has been completed.
- No data limits. With unlimited data, you can stream and download as much as you want without having to worry about data caps.
- Simple pricing. Rather than having separate bills with different providers, you can have your broadband, energy, gas and phone on one account each month. This makes life much simpler with fewer bills to worry about and only one provider to deal with should you have any problems.
Watch out for
To be able to get Contact broadband, you must have a residential electricity account at the same address you’ll be using broadband. It is not available if you:
- Want to use broadband at a different address than your electricity
- Are on weekly or fortnightly billing
- Have a Time of Use meter
- Are a Bach Plan, PrePay or PrePower customer
- Are a business customer
Contact broadband is not available everywhere, so you will need to check if you are able to get a connection at your place.
Being able to save as much as $30 a month on your broadband is certainly appealing, and let’s not forget how much easier it is to have fewer bills to think about when managing your household. However, the discount is only available if you sign up for the Broadband Bundle, so it’s worth considering all your options to make sure you are getting the best deal for your home.
More guides on Finder
Broadband blues: 1 in 5 Kiwis say they aren’t getting a good deal
To help Kiwis make better financial decisions while still enjoying their favourite online fix, Finder has revealed the best broadband providers in the country.
Finder Broadband Awards 2021
Find out which broadband providers Kiwis are most likely to recommend in the inaugural Finder Broadband Awards.
Setting up the Internet, mobile phones and home utilities in Australia
Now that you’ve arrived in Australia, there are a few things you should organise to help you set up the internet, mobile phones and household utilities.
8 ways to pocket $15,000 in 2021
Want to make more money in 2021? From a new side hustle to shopping around for the best deal, we show you how you can make up to $15,000.
Rental payments are the top financial concern for Kiwis
Millions of Kiwis are anxious about their household finances according to new research by Finder, with rental payments causing the most stress. Find out how you can manage your finances during the outbreak.
Working from home: What can you claim on tax?
Many New Zealanders are now working from home because of the coronavirus outbreak. Find out what you can claim back on tax at the end of the financial year.
Find out how reverse mortgages can allow you to access the equity in your home to pay for retirement costs.
What is Hyperfibre?
If you thought fibre was fast, Chorus Hyperfibre is about to shake things up. This new broadband technology is being rolled out in 2020.
How to switch broadband providers
How to switch broadband providers to get a better Internet deal.
No contract broadband plans
Looking for a broadband plan with no long term commitments? Compare casual broadband plans to get the best value for money.