Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
2degrees broadband deals
There are plenty of reasons to sign up for 2degrees broadband with a loyalty discount, Prime Video for 12 months and welcome credit up for grabs.
Is 2degrees broadband right for me?
- What 2degrees offers: A range of plans, from unlimited data to capped plans and rural broadband.
- The highlights: Free upgrade to a ultra-fast 900Mbps plans for 12 months; free Amazon Prime Video for the first year with a $200 welcome credit.
- Watch out for: 2degrees can only provide limited technical support if you use your own modem; 4G rural broadband is not available everywhere.
What started out as a mobile plan provider offering cheaper calls than what existed in the New Zealand market, 2degrees is now a full-service telecommunications company with 1.4 million customers. Since its creation 10 years ago, 2degrees has built its own world-class mobile network and delivers enterprise-grade cloud, data and voice products with broadband plans to suit household usage and available connections.
Read on to see how 2degrees compares with other broadband providers.
Compare 2degrees broadband plans
Types of 2degrees broadband plans
All 2degrees broadband plans have a standard 12-month contract or you can opt for open term instead. Choosing open term means you will need to pay for your modem and a connection fee, but you do have the flexibility to cancel at any time.
If you sign up for a 12-month Unlimited or Ultimate Unlimited plan you’ll get one year of Prime Video and a $200 joining credit.
Light or average internet users can choose the 80GB plan. You can be connected via standard ADSL, VDSL or fibre, depending on what is the best available with speeds of up to 100Mbps down and 20Mbps up.
The Unlimited plan gives you as much data as you need so is suitable for busy households or heavy internet users. You can enjoy speeds of up to 100Mbps download and 20Mbps upload depending on whether you have ADSL, VDSL or ultra-fast fibre available at your property.
If fibre is available at your house, Ultimate Unlimited gives you the best performance and ultra-fast fibre with speeds of up to 900Mbps download and 40Mbps upload.
Rural customers can be set up in no time with Rural Broadband delivered over fast 4G. The service is wireless and although no cables are needed, it’s not available in all areas yet. It comes with 170GB of data, and if you run out during the month an extra 20GB will automatically be added for $15 to keep you going until your data renews. Rural Broadband comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can cancel if you find that the signal strength is not acceptable.
What is the deal with fibre?
Fibre broadband is being rolled out across New Zealand thanks to a government initiative to provide Kiwis with world-class speedy internet. Standard fibre speeds sit at 100Mbps down and 20Mbps up, but you have the option of lightning-fast speeds of 900Mbps down and 40Mbps up if you choose the 2degrees Ultimate Unlimited plan. While it’s not available everywhere at the moment, you can check on the 2degrees website to see if you can get it at your address.
If fibre is available at your place, it will need to be connected to your house. 2degrees advises that this can take about a month, but it could be quicker or longer depending on the amount of work involved and if consents need to be obtained.
There is a chance that fibre has already been connected, for example, if you’ve just moved into a new home and the previous owners had fibre broadband. In this case, you will be able to get up and running within a week.
Are there any bundled extras with 2degrees?
When you sign up for a 2degreees broadband plan, there are two add-ons that you can opt to include:
- Landline. For $15 a month you can include a home phone line with unlimited calls to New Zealand and Australia landlines, caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. You can also purchase a 2degrees home phone for $89.
- Wiring maintenance. A wiring maintenance service is available for $3.95 a month. This covers repairs of wiring in your home that has been subject to wear and tear.
To help you make a decision on whether this provider is right for you, check out the product highlights and what to watch out for with 2degrees broadband plans.
- Welcome gift. Join 2degrees on a 12-month Unlimited or Ultimate Unlimited broadband plan and get Prime Video free for one year and a $200 welcome credit.
- Outage backup. If there is an outage at your home, you’ll get extra data on your 2degrees mobile so you can stay connected.
- Kiwi support. When you need some help, 2degrees has a Kiwi customer care team available 8am to 10pm every day.
- Bundle and save. If you have a pay monthly mobile plan with 2degrees, you’ll save up to $120 a year.
- Free standard installation. Standard installation and connection are free when you sign up for a 12-month plan.
- Free modem rental. You won’t pay for the cost of your modem with a 12-month broadband plan. Only a shipping and handling fee applies.
- Use your own modem. If you have your own modem you may be able to use it with your 2degrees broadband plan.
What to be aware of
- If you choose to use your own modem, it will need to support VLAN tagging and PPPoE authentication for VDSL and fibre broadband. 2degrees can only provide limited technical support and you may not have the same experience as with a 2degrees modem.
- Even though 2degrees says that Rural Broadband is available at your place, things like valleys or pine plantations could interrupt the signal. You can get your money back if you find that the service is not working, so it’s best not to cancel your current broadband plan until you know for sure.
- Modem rental is free for 12-month contracts, but if you don’t return the modem when you leave 2degrees you will be charged $165.
- Speeds indicated are based on theoretical maximums, but can vary depending on a variety of factors such as wiring, distance from exchange, your router, network congestion and your hardware and software.
2degrees broadband plans offer plenty of flexibility when it comes to finding the right contract for your home.
As well as choosing between a capped data limit or an unlimited broadband plan, you can use the best connection available to your house whether that’s ADSL, VDSL or fibre. 2degrees broadband rewards customers who sign up for the Unlimited or Ultimate Unlimited plans with free Amazon Prime Video and a $200 credit, plus you can get a discount if you have a 2degrees pay monthly mobile account.
More guides on Finder
Slow internet? We help you identify and solve the issue
If you’re suffering from slow download speeds or choppy Netflix streams, Internet congestion may be to blame.
81% of Kiwis facing streaming issues as broadband traffic breaks new record
Around 3 million New Zealanders may potentially face disruption to their broadband service as internet usage peaks during the shutdown. Find out how to minimise streaming dropouts.
How to relocate your broadband when moving house
Helpful info on reconnecting your broadband at your new address.
What is Hyperfibre?
If you thought fibre was fast, Chorus Hyperfibre is about to shake things up. This new broadband technology is being rolled out in 2020.
Compare home phone and broadband bundles
Combining your home phone and Internet services can save you time and money, so it’s worth comparing your options to ensure you’re getting the best deal.
How to switch broadband providers
How to switch broadband providers to get a better Internet deal.
No contract broadband plans
Looking for a broadband plan with no long term commitments? Compare casual broadband plans to get the best value for money.
Mobile broadband hardware explained: hotspots, dongles and more
What hardware do you need for a mobile broadband connection? Choose the right gear to get connected on the go. Hotspots, dongles and 4G modems explained.
Compare cheap broadband plans
You don’t have to spend heaps on your broadband. Find out how to compare plans and how to save with our guide.
Fibre broadband deals
Fibre broadband delivers the fastest internet speeds available. Compare ultra fast broadband plans to find the best value for your needs today.