Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
8 sites to book rental cars online
Drive the price of your rental down by comparing the car rental companies from around the world.
Renting cars for holidays can be a confusing business. There are so many providers to choose from, all with different terms and conditions, vehicles and models and, most crucially, prices.
We’ve rounded up the best car hire sites on the Internet to help take the stress out of your search.
Rentalcars.com is a global car rental website that sources, compares and allows you to book a hire car from more than 900 companies in 160 countries.
- Find rentals from the big brands alongside the smaller local companies
- Pay no credit card, booking or change fees when you book
- Offers a price-match guarantee if you happen to find a lower price
Despite the name Europcar is not confined to Europe. Since it was founded in 1949 it has spread to over 140 countries worldwide, and rents a wide variety of cars, vans and trucks.
- Redeem Virgin Velocity Frequent Flyer points against your booking
- Accounts available for business customers
- Privilege Loyalty Program offers exclusive rewards and discounts
Global car hire giant Avis has been around since 1946. Since then it has expanded and currently has over 5,000 rental locations worldwide.
- Mobile app available for iOS and Android
- Offers and specials available in the site’s deals section
- Avis Preferred Membership offers priority service and pricing
Hertz was founded in 1918 with just 12 Model-T Fords in its fleet. Today it has operations in over 146 countries and is the largest worldwide airport use car rental brand in the world.
- Hertz App is available for iPhone, Android, Nokia and BlackBerry phones
- Toll Pass offer gives you unlimited tolls combined under one rental charge
- Hertz Gold Plus Rewards users receive exclusive rewards
Part of the Avis rental group, Budget specialises in cars and trucks for those on, well, a budget. It stocks a wide range of cars, vans and trucks in over 2,500 locations worldwide.
- Easy multi-island hire process for travel between north and south islands
- Join the Budget Fastbreak program for exclusive rewards
- Earn Air New Zealand Airpoints or points with a variety of airline partners on all bookings
Since it was founded in 1996, Expedia has become one of the world’s leading online travel agents and is a trusted site for finding online deals. It is known for flight and hotel bookings, but also offers rental car deals.
- Price-match guarantee ensures it won’t be beaten on price
- Exclusive last-minute deals
- Expedia Rewards provides members-only discounts and deals
With thousands of locations around the world, no matter where you need a car, Sixt has you covered.
- Frequent deals with up to 35% off rentals
- Discounts available if you pre-pay for your vehicle
- Average age of cars is just three months
Hotwire specialises in unsold travel deals. This means that anytime a plane seat goes unsold, a hotel room goes unbooked or a hire care is not reserved, Hotwire swoops in and negotiates a cheaper rate for consumers.
- Exclusive rates and deals
- Get $10 off when you sign up for the newsletter
- Mobile app for on-the-go browsing and booking
Which of these retailers allow me to compare different car companies?
- Rentalcars.com compares car hire companies including Avis, Europcar, Budget, Thrifty and Hertz.
- Expedia compares car hire companies including Avis, Europcar, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty and Enterprise.
- Hotwire compares Alamo, Budget, Dollar Rent A Car, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
Which car hire company should I choose?
There’s no single right answer to this question. Sometimes it might be cheaper to book direct with the car hire company, but aggregators like Hotwire and Expedia may feature special deals that you can only access through them.
If you’re looking for the cheapest car hire available for your trip, spend the time to see what each company and aggregator is offering in terms of cars, price and insurance costs, to make an informed decision. Don’t forget to check out our coupon codes and deals to see what steals you can drive away with.
Which of these retailers allow me to add on hire car insurance?
Which car hire providers let me hire a caravan?
Ask an Expert