BNZ Advantage Classic credit card
Earn cash rewards or Flybuys points, and a bonus for spending $1,500 in the first 3 months.
If you use your credit card for everyday purchases, it makes sense to have a card that rewards you for doing so. The BNZ Advantage Classic allows you to choose how you will be rewarded with Cash Rewards and Fly Buys points schemes available.
Not only can you start earning rewards from the time that you start using your card, but you can also earn a bonus by spending $1,500 in the first three months.
To be eligible to apply, you’ll need to have held a BNZ transactional account for at least three months.
|Product Name||BNZ Advantage Classic Credit Card|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.95% p.a.|
|Annual Fee||$40 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$500|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2% of transaction value or $25, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$2|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Finder NZ does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider’s website if you consider applying for this product.
Benefits of the BNZ Advantage Classic credit card
- Earn rewards. Nominate to earn either Flybuys points or Cash Rewards from the first day you start using your card for eligible purchases.
- Cash Rewards. If you choose Cash Rewards as your reward programme, you earn $1 Cash Reward for every $150 you spend on your BNZ Advantage Classic. You can use the Cash Rewards you accumulate to reduce your credit card balance, save it in your savings account or contribute to your BNZ KiwiSaver account each month.
- Flybuys points. Earn 1 Flybuys points for every $40 you spend using your BNZ Advantage Classic Card at Flybuys retailers. You can also earn another set of points if you swipe your Flybuys card at the same time. Once you have accumulated Flybuys points, you can use them for thousands of rewards or convert them to KiwiSaver contributions.
- Signup bonus. When you spend a minimum of $1,500 in the first 3 months, you either receive $75 cash back or 500 Flybuys points.
- Phone payments. Connect your card with Google Pay or Apple Pay if you have a compatible phone for more convenience when shopping.
Features of the BNZ Advantage Classic Credit Card
- Account fee. The card fee for the BNZ Advantage Classic Card is $20 every six months, for a total annual fee of $40.
- Joint or additional card. You can request a joint or additional card for $6 every 6 months.
- Interest rate. An interest rate of 20.95% p.a. applies to purchases and cash advances have an interest rate of 22.95%.
- Interest-free purchases. You can enjoy no interest on purchases for up to 55 days.
- Manage your card. The BNZ app allows you to manage your card settings while you’re on the go. You can turn Paywave on and off and temporarily block your card if you misplace it.
- Zero fraud liability guarantee. BNZ repays any fraudulent transactions provided you have met the terms and conditions of the card.
How to apply
Once you compare this card against the alternatives and you like the choice of either being rewarded with cash or Flybuys points, you can apply if you have had a transactional account with BNZ for at least three months.
You can start your application on the BNZ website or through Internet banking. Ensure that you compare its features and benefits with other cards and that you meet the eligibility requirements.
To be eligible to apply, you need to meet the following BNZ criteria:
- Be 18 years or over
- Be a New Zealand resident living in New Zealand
BNZ requires that you hold a New Zealand Driver’s Licence to apply online. If you don’t have a licence, BNZ will inform you how you can prove your identity.
You also need to provide proof of address and bank statements during the application process, so make sure to have these ready.
The bottom line
Some people like cards that earn points or cash for reward schemes. These schemes can be valuable but make sure it doesn’t come at too high a price, i.e. the fees you pay for the card do not outway the rewards you can earn. However, if you want a reward card that doesn’t cost the earth, then the NZ Advantage Classic Card could be the ideal card for you. It also comes with decent bonus Cash Rewards or Flybuys points that you can put toward that next must-have purchase or your BNZ KiwiSaver scheme.