Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Here are the numbers you need to know about the biggest cryptocurrency.
The first digital currency and the largest to this day, Bitcoin makes up 60% of the total value of the biggest 250 cryptocurrency coins as of 19 March 2021.
Bitcoin’s founding is the stuff of legend: it was created in 2009 by the alias Satoshi Nakamoto, who had the idea that money shouldn’t be controlled exclusively by a centralized government or agency.
Since then, Bitcoin has smashed all records — notably in December 2017 when it reached more than US$19,000 per coin. It has simply changed the way we think about money.
Who uses Bitcoin?
- Women comprise 12.28% of those in the Bitcoin community.
- A 2015 CoinDesk survey revealed that more than 90% of Bitcoin users are male.
- The CoinDesk survey also found that 60% of Bitcoin owners are under 35 years old, and 65.8% identify as white, followed closely by those who identify as Asian.
- Of bitcoin users, most are 25 to 34 years old (46.32%), followed by those aged 35 to 44 (26.76%).
- The most popular fiat currencies to change into Bitcoin are the US dollar and the Japanese yen.
How popular is Bitcoin?
- In the last three months of 2019, each day saw an average 310,507 confirmed Bitcoin transactions.
- More than 1.2 million Redditors subscribe to the r/Bitcoin community.
- In one day — on 7 December 2017 — there were 155.6K tweets about Bitcoin. Interest on Twitter has been dwindling, with only 15.19K Bitcoin tweets recorded on 10 December 2019.
More guides on Finder
Dogecoin (DOGE) price prediction 2021
Where is the price of Dogecoin headed in 2021 and beyond, and what are the factors affecting the value of this iconic cryptocurrency?
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
Amazon Prime Day Shopping Statistics 2021
14% of Kiwi adults plan to shop the Amazon Prime Day 2021 sales, according to the latest statistics from Finder’s Amazon Prime Day shopping report.
Finder cryptocurrency predictions report: October 2020
We asked 30 panellists for their cryptocurrency price predictions, the outlook for DeFi and how long they think high returns on yield farming might last.
Finder’s Travel Index
Finder’s Travel Index is an ongoing series of surveys conducted in 19 countries to get a beat on the global travel pulse.
Finder’s Bitcoin Predictions Report: December 2020
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
A snapshot of women and money in 2021
From investing to property, Finder takes a closer look at women and their finances as part of International Women’s Day.
We’ve unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Bitcoin vs gold: What should you know before buying?
How does Bitcoin compare to gold? Here we compare scarcity, practical applications and the culture of value that surrounds each.
A guide to Beam and where to buy it
Beam was the first Mimblewimble coin to go live. Find out how it works and where to buy it.
Ask an Expert