ASB Visa Rewards credit card
Earn True Rewards or AA Smartfuel discounts just by using your ASB Visa Rewards card for everyday purchases.
Being rewarded for spending is a win-win situation, and the ASB Visa Rewards card gives you two ways to do so.
Rather than having one reward programme that may not suit your needs, ASB allows you to choose between True Rewards and AA Smartfuel discounts. You don’t have to make your mind up when you apply, as you can switch and change throughout the term of your card.
|Product Name||ASB Visa Rewards Credit Card|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.95% p.a.|
|Annual Fee||$40 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$500|
|Late Payment Fee||$9|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Benefits of the ASB Visa Rewards credit card
- Choose your reward. When you sign up for the ASB Visa Rewards card, you can choose between True Rewards or AA Smartfuel discounts. You can also switch between rewards as and when you want.
- True Rewards. For every $150 you spend on your card you earn 1 True Rewards Dollar. True Rewards Dollars can be redeemed at the online store, House of Travel and partner stores. You can also donate your dollars to charity, for example, the Starship Foundation and the SPCA or use them to contribute to your KiwiSaver scheme.
- AA Smartfuel discounts. If you choose AA Smartfuel discounts, every $75 you spend on your ASB Visa Rewards card equates to 1c off per litre up to a maximum of 50 litres.
- Transfer your balance. You won’t pay any interest for 6 months on a balance transferred from another credit card.
- Mobile payments. For greater convenience when shopping, connect your ASB Visa Rewards to Garmin Pay, Fitbit Pay, Apple Pay or Google Pay.
Features of the ASB Visa Rewards credit card
- Interest rate. This credit card has an interest rate for purchases of 20.95% p.a., and 22.95% p.a. for cash advances.
- Account fee. Every 6 months, you pay an account fee of $20, for a total charge of $40.
- Joint and additional cards. Joint account holders are charged $13 per person every 6 months, and additional cards are charged $6 per person every 6 months.
- ASB Card Control. This app allows you to control your card from your phone and turn off and on different types of transactions or put a block on your card.
How to apply
Once you’ve compared credit cards and want to apply for the ASB Visa Rewards card, you can contact ASB by phone or visit a branch. Alternatively, you can complete an application form online at a time convenient to you. You need to supply your contact information and financial details, and you can expect to receive a response within 1-2 working days.
Existing ASB customers can apply through Internet banking.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
- Agree to a credit check.
If you don’t already have a banking relationship with ASB, you need to prove your identity and what you earn per year. ASB wants to know that you can comfortably repay your credit card bill after all other financial commitments are met.
During the application process, you will be asked to provide a valid photo ID, proof of address, for example, a utility bill and bank statements. Try to have these documents handy, so you get things finalised as quickly as possible. Depending on your situation, ASB may ask for additional documentation before approval.
The bottom line
If you would like a credit card, it may be worth considering a rewards one, as you can be compensated for your spending. With the ASB Visa Rewards card, you have the perk of choosing between True Rewards or AA Smartfuel discounts and even swapping between them regularly. However, the ASB Visa Rewards card does come with a rather hefty interest rate on purchases of 20.95% p.a., and there are other rewards cards on the market, so make sure you compare your options.