Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
AMP KiwiSaver review
Learn about the range of funds offered by New Zealand's largest non-bank Kiwisaver provider.
With its high-performing funds, responsible investments, a handy app and low fees, AMP’s KiwiSaver plans have caught the attention of plenty of smart savers.
Learn more about the KiwiSaver plans, features and fees offered by AMP in this review.
AMP is a KiwiSaver scheme provider that offers a variety of investment plans and retirement products for its customers. Its popularity is evident in the fact that it stands as the largest non-bank KiwiSaver provider in New Zealand. One potential reason as to why it stands out is the convenience AMP products offer. They can be managed easily on AMP’s mobile portal or app, giving you control of your finances from anywhere, at any time.
AMP KiwiSaver fund types
AMP KiwiSaver Scheme offers 27 different investment options, which can be broadly categorized into 4 types of funds.
- Diversified Funds. Under their range of diversified funds, AMP works with various providers including Nikko AM and ASB to offer plans with six different investment risk levels. These include conservative, moderate, moderate balanced, balanced, moderately aggressive and aggressive fund classes. Once you’ve picked an investment risk level, you can further choose from an assortment of funds depending on your preference of investment returns and asset types.
- Responsible Funds. For those who wish to invest responsibly in a diversified fund, AMP offers an Ethical Balanced Fund that could meet your sustainability aims.
- Goals-based Funds. Instead of being benchmarked against an index, Goals-based Funds are intended to deliver specific investment outcomes. This is a great option for investors with more specific financial goals.
- Single Sector Funds. AMP’s Single Sector Funds focus on specific asset classes that you can combine together to build your own diversified portfolio.
AMP also offers a LifeSteps investment option, where your investment fund is curated based on your age and gradually reduces the risk of your investments as you age.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
AMP KiwiSaver fund fees
AMP’s KiwiSaver funds come with fees that are directly deducted from your investment gains. Here’s what you can expect to be charged for.
- Management fees. These fees are for AMP’s investment management services including those of the underlying fund manager and administration costs of the fund. Annual management fees range from 0.35% to 1.43%, depending on how risky your chosen fund is. Riskier funds generally incur greater annual management fees.
- Member fees. Current AMP KiwiSaver member fees stand at $1.95 per month. This compulsory fee is used to pay your general account administration services and is deducted monthly from your current holdings.
- Miscellaneous costs and expenses. Such fees could range from 0.04% to 0.27% per annum, due to the legal, audit and regulatory compliance costs that your chosen fund may incur.
Do take note that AMP KiwiSaver fund fees may differ across funds, investment risk levels and investment amounts. Always check with AMP beforehand to get an accurate understanding of how much you may end up paying on your AMP KiwiSaver fund.
What other products does AMP offer?
Interested in financial products other than KiwiSaver funds? AMP offers the following options to consider:
- AMP Investment Trust. This investment plan gives you access to a variety of managed funds as well as the ability to directly invest in shares and bond products.
- Investments with Wealthview. AMP offers individualized portfolio management and advisory services, which come with accessible online client portals and access to all the funds offered by their investment management service.
- NRZT & My Super. NRZT is a flexible retirement savings scheme that offers employees protection from disabilities and illnesses that could lead to unemployment.
How do I join AMP?
Registering with AMP for a KiwiSaver fund is quick and easy. You may either speak to an AMP financial advisor or directly apply online within a few minutes.
Be sure to check that you meet AMP’s eligibility requirements before signing up. In general, you should be:
- A New Zealand citizen, or entitled to live in New Zealand indefinitely
- Living in New Zealand
- Below the age of 65 (the current age of eligibility for NZ Superannuation)
Enrolment in KiwiSaver is automatic for anyone starting a new job (with some exceptions), although employees automatically enrolled often have the chance to opt-out. Other interested individuals can choose to opt for KiwiSaver but cannot subsequently opt-out.
You will need to provide your IRD number and either your New Zeland passport or driver’s license.
AMP offers 27 KiwiSaver funds to help you grow your wealth and meet your retirement goals. AMP KiwiSaver plans come with clear pricing, quick registration and easy in-app management. Additionally, you can choose from a huge range of investment products and find the best one that suits your financial needs.
More guides on Finder
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
How to buy NZX Limited shares (NZX)
The steps you need to follow to buy NZX shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to invest in cryptocurrency
Learn how to get started investing in cryptocurrency, the methods available to you, and what to keep in mind before making your first purchase.
Starting a business in Australia
Moving to Australia and looking to start a business? Here’s how to go about it.
Financial planning for your retirement
Planning for your retirement doesn’t have to be scary. Our guide will point you in the right direction.
How to buy Databricks shares in New Zealand when it goes public
Here’s everything we know so far about the Databricks IPO.
Summer KiwiSaver review
With 10 different Kiwisaver funds for you to create your own portfolio, Summer offers plenty of choices.
Milford KiwiSaver scheme review
Milford offers actively-managed, socially responsible KiwiSaver funds for a range of different risk profiles and a proven track record of strong returns.
Aon KiwiSaver scheme review
Aon offers 13 KiwiSaver funds of varying risk levels for you to choose from.