Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
American Express vs Visa credit cards
Make a decision based on features you value, such as rewards points or acceptance rate.
Both American Express and Visa offer credit cards with unique rewards programmes that could suit one person over another. For example, if you’re looking for more opportunities to earn rewards points, Amex might suit your needs better. But, if you’re looking for a card with a wider acceptance rate, you might want to try Visa. In the end, both providers offer great features. Choosing between them is just a matter of personal preference.
Things to consider when comparing American Express and Visa credit cards
- Limits and expiration for reward points. If you’re saving for something big like a flight then it’s important to know that your points won’t expire before you rack them all up. Similarly, if you spend a lot and there is a limit on what you can earn, you’re missing out on major points.
- Annual fee. Many Visa and Amex cards will come with no annual fee or have promotions that waive the annual fee for the first year. That said, depending on the card you get from either, the fee could be anywhere from $25 to upwards of $500.
- Customer service. Both Visa and American Express have a reputation for customer service. They will provide you with a concierge that can help you in any situation, whether its an emergency or not.
- Complimentary insurance. Both Visa and American Express have credit cards that offer complimentary insurance when you pay for your travel in full with the card. However, it’s important to understand the terms and conditions before you apply.
Pros and cons of American Express credit cards
- Potential to earn more points.
- Indicates personal financial status.
- Less accepted than Visa.
- Fees could eat up any rewards.
- Strict eligibility criteria.
- Higher interest rates.
Compare American Express credit cards
Pros and cons of Visa credit cards
- Accepted more than American Express.
- Fewer fees.
- Flexible eligibility criteria.
- Generally a lower interest rate.
- Less potential to earn points.
Compare Visa credit cards
What features and services do American Express and Visa offer?
While Amex and Visa offer some similar benefits, looking at the features and services that set them apart can help make your decision. For example, Amex products uniformly offer features such as purchase protection and travel insurance. These features are mostly issuer-dependent among Visa cards, however. Choosing between the providers just depends on what you value.
Your personal shopping habits and how you’ll be using the card should point you in the direction of what will better suit your needs. If you use your American Express for 50% of your everyday shopping you’ll get the most value. However, if you want a card that’s more widely accepted and has a lower annual fee, Visa is your pick.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
Little Baby Paws discount codes and coupons August 2021
From dummy clips and pouches through to dummies of varying sizes, little Baby Paws has great products to keep little ones happy.
Jeanswest discount codes and coupons August 2021 | Get 30% off instantly
Jeanswest has been creating great fashion looks for over 40 years. All you need in jeans and fashions is here.
How to invest in cryptocurrency
Learn how to get started investing in cryptocurrency, the methods available to you, and what to keep in mind before making your first purchase.
Which online stores accept PayPal?
If you’re looking for online stores that accept PayPal, our list includes fashion favourites THE ICONIC, ASOS and boohoo.
Debt dilemma: 41% of Kiwis have an outstanding credit card balance
Kiwis may be incompatible with their current credit card according to new research by Finder, a financial research and credit card comparison site in New Zealand.
Kraken vs Coinbase
We compare the key differences between two of the most popular cryptocurrency exchanges in terms of fees, features, customer support and more.
HelloFresh vs FED.
We compare recipes, delivery options, packaging, cost and more in this meal delivery review of HelloFresh and FED.
Migrant banking: Opening a bank account in Australia
Having an Australian bank account is crucial in order to access and manage your funds in your new home country.
The best places to live in Australia
Choosing where to live when you move to Australia is a crucial decision. We’ve put together this handy guide to living in Australia’s capital cities to help you make the right choice.
Ask an Expert