American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card Review
Receive 20,000 membership rewards bonus points, available to new Card Members only. A complimentary direct domestic return flight every year and save with a low introductory offer on purchases.
You can take advantage of a number of platinum benefits while managing your everyday expenses with the American Express Platinum Edge Card. As well as bonus points and rewards for eligible purchases, you’ll also receive complimentary insurances and save on costs with a low introductory offer on purchases for six months.
2.99% for 6 months (reverts to 19.95% APR)
Purchase rate (p.a.)
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||2.99% for 6 months (reverts to 19.95% APR)|
|Annual fee||$149 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||21.95% APR|
|Max credit limit||$50,000|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||3% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Late Payment Fee||$25|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)||2.5% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card Review
If you’re a regular credit card user, the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card could help you both manage your finances and receive rewards for your everyday expenses. As well as the opportunity to earn up to 20,000 bonus points, available to new Card Members only. You can also earn up to 3 Rewards points per $1 spent on eligible purchases. On top of rewards points, you’ll also benefit from a low promotional interest rate of 2.99% on purchases for the first 6 months. As well as complimentary insurances, a complimentary direct domestic return flight every year, 24/7 global assistance and exclusive American Express benefits for Platinum cardholders, there are many ways to use the card to ensure the benefits outweigh the costs.
Benefits of the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card
- Bonus membership rewards. Make a purchase of at least $750 using your card within the first 3 months of opening the account and you can receive 20,000 membership rewards bonus points. This offer is available to new Card Members only.
- Earn rewards as you spend. You can earn up to 3 points for every dollar you spend on eligible purchases.
- Use your card at major supermarkets and you’ll earn 3 points per dollar you spend. Major supermarkets include Countdown, Countdown Online, Farro Fresh, FreshChoice, New World, Nosh, PAK’n’SAVE and SuperValue. Plus, if you fill your tank using your credit card, you can earn 2 points per dollar you spend at major petrol stations including BP, Caltex, GAS, Gull, Mobil, Shell and Z. You will aslo earn 1 point for every dollar you spend on all other purchases.
- Membership rewards points can be redeemed for hundreds of items and services, including shopping vouchers, gift vouchers, entertainment, tickets, lifestyle rewards and events, and even travel-related rewards. You’re also able to convert your points into airline reward program points with Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Cathay Pacific, and Singapore Airlines.
- With points to get you started, that’s enough to redeem for $100 in travel agency vouchers right away! Of course, your points won’t ever expire as long as you keep an American Express account open, so you can continue to save them for the rewards you really want. There’s also no limit to the number of points you can earn.
- Enjoy a complimentary direct domestic return flight. Take advantage of a complimentary Air New Zealand direct domestic return flight each membership year, with the standard one-piece 23kg baggage allowance included. You have to book at least 14 days prior to departure and can book up to 10 months in advance.
- Low promotional purchase rate. You’ll be charged a low introductory purchase rate of 2.99% p.a. for the first 6 months. Your purchases will collect the standard interest rate of 19.95% p.a. thereafter.
- Annual fee. This card charges an annual fee of $149.
- Complimentary insurance. As with many platinum cards, the Platinum Edge Credit Card offers domestic and international travel insurance for you and your family when you pay for your trip using your card:
- Up to $2.5 million in cover for overseas medical emergencies
- Up to $10,000 to cover travel cancellation
- Up to $10,000 to cover your baggage, money and documentation
- Up to $1 million to cover personal liability
You’ll also get access to travel inconvenience insurance, which provides cover for flight delays or delayed luggage.
- Online fraud protection. The Platinum Edge Credit Card has online fraud protection, which won’t hold you accountable for unauthorised online charges provided you spend in accordance with the conditions of use.
- Platinum priority service. If you’re experiencing an issue or have an enquiry, the global assistance team is available to you 24/7.
- Online account. You can manage your American Express account with ease thanks to your online account. Plus, you can set up SMS or email reminders to help you stay on top of your membership rewards account.
Features of the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card
- Cash advances. You’ll be charged 21.95% p.a. on all cash advances. You’ll also be charged a $2 cash advance fee per transaction when using the card in New Zealand and $5 when using the card for cash advances overseas.
- Minimum repayment. You’ll be required to pay $10 or 3% of the closing balance, whichever is greater on or before the payment due date noted on your monthly statement.
- Additional cards. You can request up to 4 supplementary cards for $0.
- Late payment fee. You’ll be charged a $25 fee if your minimum payment is not received on time.
- Payment dishonour fee. If your payment is returned or rejected, you’ll be charged a $25 fee.
How to apply for the American Express Platinum Edge Card
If you’re interested in the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card, make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must be older than 18 years of age when your application is submitted.
- You must be a permanent New Zealand resident.
- You must also have a good credit record, including no bad debts or defaulted payments.
- You will need to verify that you earn more than $50,000 before tax each year.
- If you are self-employed and have been trading for 18 months (12 months if you are an existing American Express Credit cardholder), you are also eligible.
Once you’re certain you’ve met the requirements, you can proceed with the secured online application to get started.Back to top