American Express Platinum Card Review
Discover the true meaning of platinum with up to 80,000 membership rewards bonus points, available to new Card Members only. Plus VIP travel benefits.
The American Express Platinum Card is among one of the ultimate offerings from the American Express range. With bonus points, complimentary insurances and premium travel benefits in tow you can find out the possibilities afforded to platinum cardholders, and see rewards earned for every dollar you spend on your card.
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Card|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||N/A|
|Annual Fee||$1,250 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||100% of transaction value|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)||2.5%|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
American Express Platinum Card Review
This Platinum card offering from American Express is not a credit card; it’s a charge card with no pre-set spending limit. Your purchases will be approved based on a variety of factors. You’ll be required to pay your balance in full each month. In exchange for a hefty annual fee, you’ll be awarded premium features like a generous earn rate for the Membership Rewards programme, platinum travel, concierge privileges and access to over 1,200 VIP airport lounges.
Benefits of the American Express Platinum Card
- Bonus points. Receive 80,000 if you apply as a new American Express cardholder, are approved, and spend at least $1,500 on your card in the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members only.
- Complimentary insurances. This is a true traveller’s card, and to support the traveller’s lifestyle you’ll receive domestic and international travel insurance cover free of charge.
- Platinum Card membership. You’re entitled to premium offers through the Platinum Card membership. Enjoy travel benefits including accommodation, cruises and resort stays, as well as invitation-only access to VIP events and experiences.
- Priority Pass membership. Want access to over 1,200 airport lounges in more than 130 countries? You can with your . Complimentary Priority Pass membership for you and one nominated supplementary Platinum Card member allows you access to VIP lounges worldwide. You and your supplementary card member may bring one guest free of charge. Review which locations you have access to by logging into your Priority Pass membership account on the Priority Pass website.
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status. Complimentary Gold Elite status as long as your card is active and your account is in good standing.
- Complimentary Hotel Partner Programmes membership. Automatic elite tier membership with Radisson Hotel Group, Marriott Bonvoy, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership and Hilton HonorsTM Gold status throughout the validity of your card, as long as your account is in good standing.
- Smartphone screen insurance. When you pay for your smartphone outright or for your monthly plan with your card, you will automatically receive smartphone screen insurance for up to $500.
Features of the American Express Platinum Card
- Interest rate. This card carries no interest rate as it’s not a credit card, but a charge card. You’ll be required to pay your balance back in full at the end of each month. However, a liquidated damages fee of $20 or 3.25% (whichever is higher) will be charged for the unpaid outstanding balance per statement cycle.
- Rewards. You’ll receive complimentary enrolment into the Membership Rewards programme and earn 2 Membership Reward Points per $1 spent or transfer your points to any of their seven airline partner programmes and two hotel programmes. If your account remains active and in good standing, your reward points won’t expire and there is no limit.
- Travel benefits. You’ll have access to a Platinum travel service and Platinum concierge service, helping to make planning your next trip a breeze. Through Priority Pass, you’ll have access to 1,200+ lounges in more than 130 countries when you travel.
- Annual fee. With platinum rewards come a premium cost — you’ll be required to pay an annual fee of $1,250 with this card.
- Spending limit. There is no pre-set spending limit on this card. Your ongoing purchases will be approved by American Express based on a variety of factors.
- Additional cardholders. Want to share the benefits of the card? You can get up to 4 additional cards for your family members at no additional cost.
How to apply for the American Express Platinum Card
If you’re interested in applying for the American Express Platinum Card, just proceed and fill up the secured online application form. The online application will take less than 10 minutes to complete and you should receive a response within five to 10 working days.
Make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are over the age of 18.
- You are a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand.
- You need to have an annual pre-tax income of $100,000 or more.
- If you are self-employed and have been trading for 18 months (12 months if you are an existing American Express credit cardholder), you are also eligible.
If you meet the criteria, you’re ready to take the next step. You’ll need the following information on hand to complete the application:
- Your date of birth, New Zealand driver’s licence number, contact details and the amount of time you’ve lived at your current address.
- Information regarding your assets, income debts and liabilities will be required.
The American Express Platinum Card is a competitive offering that gives you a convenient line of credit while offering you access to premium rewards and features. Consider similar cards before you apply to make sure it’s the right card for you.Back to top