American Express Platinum Card Review
Discover the true meaning of platinum with 80,000 Membership Rewards bonus points, available to new Card Members only. Plus VIP travel benefits.
Get the new metal Platinum Card, 80,000 Membership Rewards bonus points, up to $300 dining credit and $200 to spend on travel each year. Offer available to new card members only who spend at least $1,500 in the first 3 months. Exclusions, Ts&Cs apply.
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Card|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||N/A|
|Annual Fee||$1,250 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||100% of transaction value|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
The American Express Platinum Card is among one of the ultimate offerings from the American Express range. With bonus points, complimentary insurances and premium travel benefits, you can discover the possibilities afforded to platinum cardholders and watch rewards earned for every dollar you spend on your card.
American Express Platinum Card Review
This Platinum card offering from American Express is not a credit card; it’s a charge card with no pre-set spending limit. Your purchases are approved based on various factors, and you are required to pay your balance in full each month. In exchange for a hefty annual fee, you’re awarded premium features like a generous earn rate for the Membership Rewards programme, platinum travel, concierge privileges and access to over 1,200 VIP airport lounges.
Benefits of the American Express Platinum Card
- Bonus points. Get 80,000 Membership Rewards bonus points. You can use your bonus points to redeem $400 worth of retail gift cards or $600 worth of Travel with Amex Travel online. This offer is available to new card members only and a minimum spend of $1,500 is required in the first 3 months.
- Annual Tavel Credit. Receive $200 travel credit which you can use for prepaid flights, car hire or hotel bookings through American Express Travel each year.
- Up to $300 dining credit. Get $150 credit back when you spend $150 or more at a participating American Express Dining Collection restaurant, valid twice a year. Exclusions and Ts&Cs apply.
- Complimentary insurances. This is a true traveller’s card, and to support the traveller’s lifestyle, you’ll receive domestic and international travel insurance cover free of charge.
- Platinum Card membership. You’re entitled to premium offers through the Platinum Card membership. Enjoy travel benefits, including accommodation, cruises and resort stays, as well as invitation-only access to VIP events and experiences.
- Priority Pass membership. Want access to over 1,200 airport lounges in more than 130 countries? You can with your Complimentary Priority Pass membership plus one nominated supplementary Platinum Card member. You and your supplementary cardmember may bring one guest free of charge. Review which locations you have access to by logging into your Priority Pass membership account on the Priority Pass website.
- Complimentary Accor Plus programme membership. Take advantage of a complimentary night’s stay each year in an Accor Plus property. Accor Plus rooms are subject to availability and can be booked up to a year in advance.
- Complimentary Hotel Partner Programmes membership. Automatic elite tier membership with Radisson Hotel Group, Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton HonorsTM Gold status throughout the validity of your card, as long as your account is in good standing.
- Smartphone screen insurance. When you pay for your smartphone outright or your monthly plan with your card, you automatically receive smartphone screen insurance for up to $500.
Features of the American Express Platinum Card
- Interest rate. This card carries no interest rate as it’s not a credit card but a charge card. You are required to repay your balance in full at the end of each month. However, a liquidated damages fee of $20 or 3.25% (whichever is higher) is charged for the unpaid outstanding balance per statement cycle.
- Rewards. You receive complimentary enrolment into the Membership Rewards programme and earn 2 Membership Reward Points per $1 spent or transfer your points to any of their seven airline partner programmes and three hotel programmes. If your account remains active and in good standing, your reward points won’t expire and there is no limit.
- Travel benefits. You have access to a Platinum travel service and Platinum concierge service, helping to make planning your next trip a breeze. Through Priority Pass, you can access 1,200+ lounges in more than 130 countries when you travel.
- Annual fee. With platinum rewards come a premium cost — you are required to pay an annual fee of $1,250 with this card.
- Spending limit. There is no pre-set spending limit on this card. Your ongoing purchases are approved by American Express based on a variety of factors.
- Additional cardholders. Want to share the benefits of the card? You can get up to 4 additional cards for your family members at no additional cost.
How to apply for the American Express Platinum Card
If you’re interested in applying for the American Express Platinum Card, you can proceed and complete the secure online application form. The online application takes less than 10 minutes to complete and you should receive a response within five to 10 working days.
Make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are over the age of 18.
- You are a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand.
- You need to have an annual pre-tax income of $100,000 or more.
- If you are self-employed and have been trading for 18 months (12 months if you are an existing American Express credit cardholder), you are also eligible.
If you meet the criteria, you’re ready to take the next step. You need the following information on hand to complete the application:
- Financial information, including – details of your existing cards, assets, income, debt and liabilities.
- Employment details.
- Your accountant’s contact information (if you’re self-employed).
- A copy of your New Zealand driver’s licence.
- Personal information, which includes your current address details.
- Email address, plus a mobile or landline number.
The bottom line
The American Express Platinum Card is a competitive offering that gives you a convenient line of credit while offering you access to premium rewards and features. Consider similar cards before you apply to make sure it’s the right card for you.Back to top