American Express Airpoints Platinum Card
The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card combines premium service with maximum Airpoints earning potential. Sign up for 500 bonus Airpoints today.
|Product Name||American Express Airpoints Platinum Card|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||19.95% p.a.|
|Annual Fee||$195 p.a.|
|Offer end date||29 November 2021|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Max credit limit||$50,000|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||3% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Late Payment Fee||$25|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card Review
The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card is a prestigious product that offers a wide range of benefits for frequent travellers and credit card users alike. Once you become an American Express Airpoints Platinum Card-holder, you can earn Airpoints and Status Points for your everyday spending on the card.
You also get complimentary domestic and international travel insurance for you and your family to make sure you’re protected against practically anything. In addition, you receive four complimentary lounge passes per calendar year: 2 for the American Express Lounge in either Sydney or Melbourne, and 2 Priority Pass lounge passes for over 1,200 locations worldwide, including Auckland, Christchurch and Queenstown.
Benefits of the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card
- Bonus Airpoints Dollars. If you apply online by 29 November 2021 and receive approval, you receive a bonus of 500 Airpoints Dollars, which goes a long way towards helping you get to your destination quicker. This offer is available to new Card Members only. Note that you have to spend $1,500 on your card within the first 3 months to be eligible for the bonus points offer.
- Air New Zealand Airpoints Programme. One of the main attractions of the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card is the Airpoints Dollars programme. Once you become a cardholder, you are automatically signed up for the Air New Zealand Airpoints Programme. This programme lets you earn Airpoints Dollars that you can redeem for flights and upgrades and Status Credits that can fast-track you to even more frequent flyer privileges.
- Reward Airpoints Dollars. For every $59 you spend on your credit card, you earn 1 Airpoints Dollars, allowing you to quickly accrue points and purchase a flight to the destination of your dreams. For every $250 you spend, you also earn 1 Status Point, helping you increase your Airpoints tier status.
- Additional cardholder. You can request up to 4 additional cards for family members at no extra cost. By having more people spending on the account, you could redeem those flights even faster. Note that the primary cardholder is responsible for all charges and payments on the account.
- Koru membership offer. This card waives the $255 Koru joining fee and saves you $145 per year on the annual fee for as long as you hold the card. In addition to the rewards programme and discounted insurance suite, the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card offers the ability to travel in style. You can become a Koru member and enjoy the perks of the membership.
- Access to the American Express Lounge and VIP Lounges. The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card lets you enjoy two complimentary passes per year into VIP lounges with Priority Pass, including the Strata Lounge at Auckland International Airport. Additionally, you receive two complimentary passes per year to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport.
- Priority Pass membership. Eligible cardmembers can gain access to approximately 1,200+ Priority Pass lounge locations in more than 130 countries. Review which locations you can access by logging into your Priority Pass membership account on the Priority Pass website.
- Complimentary insurance. You can take advantage of complimentary domestic and international travel insurance for you, your spouse and dependent children, as well as purchase protection insurance for eligible items you buy with the card.
- Smartphone screen damage protection. If you use your credit card to pay outright for your smartphone or use it to pay for a monthly plan, you automatically receive smartphone screen damage protection. You can make 2 claims of up to $500 per claim in a 12-month period, and an excess of 10% applies.
Features of the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card
- Interest rate. This card charges a standard variable purchase rate of 19.95% p.a. and a standard variable cash advance rate of 21.95% p.a.
- Annual fee. The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card has a $195 annual fee.
- Currency conversion fee. A fee of 2.5% applies to transactions made in a foreign currency.
How to apply for the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card
If you compare this card against other Airpoints credit cards and decide that the American Express Airpoints Platinum is the right card for you, you can reach the secure online application form by clicking the “Apply now” button. However, before you start the application, make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be over 18 years of age
- You must have no history of bad debt or defaults on payments
- You must have a pre-tax income of $65,000 p.a.
- You must be a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand
- If you are self-employed and have been trading for 18 months (12 months if you are an existing American Express credit cardholder), you are also eligible.
If you meet the criteria, you’re ready to take the next step. You need the following information on hand to complete the application:
- Financial information, including details of your existing cards.
- Employment details.
- Your accountant’s contact information (if you’re self-employed).
- A copy of your New Zealand driver’s licence.
- Personal information, which includes your current address details.
- Email address, plus a mobile or landline number.
The bottom line
The Air New Zealand American Express Platinum Card offers various perks for people who travel frequently or those who like to save money on costs such as airfares and insurance. When considering this card, remember to also look at potential costs such as the annual fee and interest rates so that you can decide if it’s right for your circumstances and needs.Back to top