American Express Airpoints Platinum Card Review
The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card is the epitome of prestige, combining the premium service American Express is known for with exclusive platinum card benefits and frequent traveller.
Purchase rate (p.a.)
|Product Name||American Express Airpoints Platinum Card|
|Rewards Program||Air New Zealand Airpoints Programme|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||19.95% APR|
|Annual fee||$195 p.a.|
|Offer end date||30 March 2020|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||21.95% APR|
|Max credit limit||$50,000|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||3% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Late Payment Fee||$25|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)||2.5% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card Review
The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card is a prestigious product that offers a wide range of benefits for frequent travellers and credit card users alike. Once you become an American Express Airpoints Platinum Card-holder, you’ll be able to earn Airpoints and Status Points for your everyday spending on the card. You’ll also get complimentary domestic and international travel insurance for you and your family to make sure you’re protected against practically anything. In addition, you will receive two complimentary passes per year to the American Express Lounge.
Benefits of the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card
- Bonus Airpoints. If you apply online by 30 March 2020 and are approved. You will receive a bonus of 400 Airpoints Dollars, which goes a long way towards helping you get to your destination quicker. This offer is available to new Card Members only. Note that you have to spend $1,500 on your card within the first 3 months to be eligible for the bonus points offer.
- Air New Zealand Airpoints Programme. One of the main attractions of the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card is the Airpoints Dollars programme. Once you become a cardholder, you’ll be automatically signed up for the Air New Zealand Airpoints Programme. This programme lets you earn Airpoints Dollars that can be redeemed for flights and upgrades, as well as Status Credits that can fast-track you to even more frequent flyer privileges.
- Rewards Airpoints. For every $59 you spend on your credit card, you will earn 1 Airpoints Dollar, allowing you to quickly accrue points and purchase a flight to the destination of your dreams. For every $250 you spend, you’ll also earn 1 Status Point, helping you increase your Airpoints tier status.
- Additional cardholder. You can request up to 4 additional cards for family members at no extra cost. By having more people spending on the account, you could redeem those flights even faster. Note that the primary cardholder will be responsible for all charges and payments on the account.
- Koru membership offer. This card waives the $255 Koru joining fee and saves you $145 per year on the annual fee for as long as you hold the card. In addition to the rewards programme and discounted insurance suite, the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card offers the ability to travel in style. You can become a Koru member and enjoy the perks of the membership.
- Access to the American Express Lounge and VIP Lounges. The American Express Airpoints Platinum allows you to enjoy two complimentary passes per year into VIP lounges with Priority Pass, including the Strata Lounge at Auckland International Airport. Additionally, you’ll receive two complimentary passes per year to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport.
- Priority Pass membership. Eligible card members can gain access to approximately 1,200+ Priority Pass lounge locations in more than 130 countries. Review which locations you have access to by logging into your Priority Pass membership account on the Priority Pass website.
- Complimentary insurance. You can take advantage of complimentary domestic and international travel insurance for you, your spouse and dependent children, as well as purchase protection insurance for eligible items you buy with the card.
- Smartphone screen insurance. When you pay for your smartphone outright or for your monthly plan with your card, you will automatically receive smartphone screen insurance for up to $500.
Features of the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card
- Interest rate. This card charges a standard variable purchase rate of 19.95% p.a. and a standard variable cash advance rate of 21.95% p.a.
- Annual fee. The American Express Airpoints Platinum Card has a $195 annual fee.
- Currency conversion fee. A fee of 2.5% applies to transactions made in a foreign currency.
How to apply for the American Express Airpoints Platinum Card
If you’ve compared your options and decided that the American Express Airpoints Platinum is the right card for you, you can get to the secure the online application form by clicking the “Go to Site” button. Before you begin with the application, make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be over 18 years of age
- You must have no history of bad debt or defaults on payments
- You must have a pre-tax income of $65,000 p.a.
- You must be a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand
- If you are self-employed and have been trading for 18 months (12 months if you are an existing American Express credit cardholder) you are also eligible.
The Air New Zealand American Express Platinum Card offers a variety of perks for people who travel frequently or those who’d like save money on costs such as airfares and insurance. When considering this card, remember to also look at potential costs such as the annual fee and interest rates so that you can decide if it’s right for your circumstances and needs.Back to top