American Express Airpoints Card Review
Fly higher with 50 bonus Airpoints Dollars, plus earn bonus points on eligible spend.
The American Express Airpoints Card rewards you with the features and benefits of a rewards card without the added cost. Cardholders can take advantage of $0 annual fee and a low introductory offer of 0% for 6 months on purchases. If you’re looking for a basic card with a few bells and whistles, this could be a card worth considering.
0% for 6 months (reverts to 19.95% APR)
Purchase rate (p.a.)
|Product Name||American Express Airpoints Card|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||0% for 6 months (reverts to 19.95% APR)|
|Annual fee||$0 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||21.95% APR|
|Max credit limit||$25,000|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||3% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Late Payment Fee||$25|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)||2.5% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Benefits of the American Express Airpoints Card
- Earn rate on Airpoints Dollars. You can earn 1 Airpoints dollar for every $100 spent.
- Redeeming rewards. You can redeem Airpoints Dollars to purchase seats on Air New Zealand flights or with Star Alliance Partners. You can also purchase Koru membership or use your Dollars for car rental or to book hotel accommodation.
- Earning Airpoints Dollars. Airpoints Dollars are earned by making eligible purchases only. Exclusions include transactions such as cash advances, interest charges, balance transfers, fees and charges for traveller’s cheques, foreign currency charges or annual card fees.
- Bonus Airpoints for the first year of your card. Earn 50 bonus Airpoints Dollars when you apply, are approved and spend $750 on your card within the first 3 months.
- Interest-free days. Cardholders can take advantage of up to 55 days interest-free on purchases.
Features of the American Express Airpoints Card
- Annual fee. This card comes with a $0 annual fee.
- Purchase offer. Enjoy a low introductory offer of 0% p.a. for 6 months on purchases. This reverts to a competitive interest rate of 19.95% p.a. after the promotional period expires.
- Additional cards. You are allowed to request up to 4 additional cards at no extra cost.
- Online access. Access your account via your smartphone, tablet or computer.
- Fraud protection. Enjoy the online fraud protection guarantee, which covers you against fraudulent transactions made using your card.
How to apply for the American Express Airpoints Card
If you’re interested in applying for the American Express Airpoints Card, you can proceed with the online application form. Take a look at the application criteria and find out what you’ll need to apply:
Make sure you meet the following criteria before you apply.
- You and your additional cardholders must be over the age of 18.
- You have no history of bad debt or payment defaults.
- You need to be a permanent resident of New Zealand.
- You need to have an annual pre-tax income of $35,000 or more.
- If you are self employed and have been trading for 18 months (12 months if you are an existing American Express credit cardholder), you are also eligible.
- Financial information, including details of your existing cards
- Employment details
- Your accountant’s contact information (if you’re self-employed)
The American Express Airpoints Card offers a low cost way to enjoy the benefits of a rewards credit card. With $0 annual fee, 0% for 6 months on purchases and the ability to enrol up to 4 additional cardholders for no extra cost, you can spend with ease and earn Airpoints Dollars. If this card sounds like it’s right for you, get the application process started.Back to top