Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
$1,000 cash loans
If you need $1,000 for an emergency, there are options available from these lenders
⚠️ Warning: be cautious with short-term loans
If you're experiencing financial hardship and would like to speak to someone for free financial counselling, you can call the MoneyTalks helpline operated by FinCap on 0800 345 123. It is open from 8:00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday. When comparing short term loans, ensure you take into consideration any fees, charges and rates you may be charged.
Alternatives to short-term loans
Consider these alternatives before applying for a payday loan:
- Use online Government resources. The Commerce Commission New Zealand website explains how loans works and what to be aware of when borrowing from a lender.
- Payment plans. Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan or receive an extension on your due date if you’re behind on payments.
- Contact your creditors. Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment, or working out a new payment plan that works for both of you. Seek personal loans elsewhere. Consider a small personal loan from a bank or a credit union. You may qualify for a loan with much lower interest rates than those offered by payday loan companies.
- Pay with credit card. Consider paying with your credit card to cover your emergency bills or payments. This is not a long term solution, as you’ll need to pay off the balance as soon as possible, but it’s an alternative to a short term loan with high – and immediate – interest rates.
Compare up to 4 providers
More guides on Finder
- Tap and woe: The 8 credit card sins that 1.1 million Kiwis are guilty of
1.1 million Kiwis have committed a credit card sin in the past 12 months, according to new research by financial comparison site Finder.
- Complacent Kiwis: 9 in 10 are paying the ‘lazy tax’
Complacency when it comes to financial products is hurting the hip pocket of nearly the entire country, according to new research by Finder.
- Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
- Long and short term accommodation in Australia
Take the stress out of relocating your life to Australia by discovering the ins and outs of finding somewhere to live when you arrive in Australia early.
- The best places to live in Australia
Choosing where to live when you move to Australia is a crucial decision. We’ve put together this handy guide to living in Australia’s capital cities to help you make the right choice.
- Finance Bloom secured personal loan review
Finance Bloom secured personal loan review. Find out about rates, features and more.
- Credit cards vs buy now pay later
Both buy now pay later plans and credit cards give you ways to pay off purchases over time – here’s how they compare.
- Finance Bloom business loan review
Broker Finance Bloom can help you get a secured or unsecured loan to help your business bloom.
- First Credit Union review
Review the loan options at First Credit Union, a non-bank lender offering personal loans, debt consolidation, car and home loans.
- What is a novated lease?
If you want to reduce your taxable income but get something for it, such as your next car, you can consider salary sacrificing it with a novated lease. Find out exactly how it works and if its right for you.