Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card review
Earn 5% cash back on quarterly categories without paying an annual fee.
- Get this card if you want to earn high cash back on the quarterly categories.
- Pick something else if you want flat-rate rewards or a 0% intro APR period.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Cash back as welcome offer
Up to 5%
11% to 13%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome offer||2% cash back on all purchases for the first 90 days|
|Rewards||5% cash back in quarterly rotating categories and 1% cash back on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||11% to 13% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||5% intro for the first 6 cycles after card opening (then 11% to 13% variable)|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
At first glance, the Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card may seem like something you’ve seen with other providers with rotating categories. However, the key difference with this card is you know which categories appear each quarter, and you don’t have to enroll with each new quarter to earn the higher cashback rate. This makes your earnings more predictable and easier to manage.
How do I apply for the Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card?
How long will it take to get my Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card?
If you’re already a Nusenda Credit Union member, applying for the card is fast and easy. If you’re not, it could take around 30 minutes or more to apply for the card and NCU membership.
Once approved, expect your card to arrive within seven to 10 days.
- Cash back. Earn 5% on quarterly rotating categories, such as gas and groceries in one quarter; movies, restaurants and home improvements in the second; gas and education expenses in the third; and restaurants, hotels and airfare in the fourth. The 5% cash back is capped at in combined purchases per quarter. After that and on all other purchases, earn 1% cash back.
- Signup bonus. Earn 2% back instead of 1% on all other purchases for your first 90 days of card membership.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to own the card.
How much cash back can I earn with the Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card?
|Where you spend:||The amount you spend:||Cash back earned:|
If your annual spending looks similar to our example and you don’t exceed the rewards cap during any one quarter, you would earn $375 with $12,000 in purchases during the first year. This includes the 2% cashback rate for the first 90 days of card membership and assumes $1,500 of spending in non-accelerated categories across those months.
How do I know if this card is for me?
Take the categories in one quarter and see if you spend up to $500 per month in combined purchases. If you do, you’ll get the most out of the 5% back rate.
You’ll also like …
- Intro APR period on balance transfers. Enjoy a 5% intro APR period on balance transfers for the 6 cycles after card opening. After that, your rate reverts to 11% or 13% variable. You also won’t pay a balance transfer fee even after the intro period.
- Relatively low APR on cash advances. Many credit cards have an APR of up to 26% on cash advances and a fee of up to 5% of the transaction. The Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card has a variable APR on cash advances of 11% or 13%, depending on your creditworthiness, and a fee of 1% of the transaction.
- Visa Signature benefits. Get 24/7 Visa concierge service whenever you need help getting tickets for sporting or entertainment events, or to make dining arrangements. Get Visa price protection for up to 60 days from the date of purchase, and rest easy with zero liability for unauthorized transactions.
- Digital wallet. Enroll in Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay to make credit card payments with your smartphone.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fee. For each transaction you make outside of the US, you’ll pay a fee of either 0.8% when you pay in a foreign currency or 1% of the transaction when you pay in US dollars.
- Penalty APR. If you’re late 60 days or more with your payment, you’ll incur a penalty APR of 18%. If this occurs, you have to make six consecutive on-time payments of at least the minimum amount due to remove the penalty APR. Otherwise, you may end up with it indefinitely.
How to maximize your cash back with multiple cards
The Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card offers 5% cash back on categories which have remained the same for the past few years. These categories include:
- Gas for six months
- Restaurants for six months
- Groceries for three months
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ offers 5% cash back on categories, including:
- Gas for six months
- Groceries for three months
- Department stores and wholesale clubs for three months
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card offers 5% cash back on Amazon and Whole Foods Market purchases and 2% back on dining, gas and drugstores.
Combine these cards to earn the highest cash back in quarters where the categories don’t overlap. The Amazon card can also help you earn more than the 1% you’d get during quarters where dining and gas aren’t covered by the other two cards.
Compare cashback credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen. You also have to be a Nusenda Credit Union member, or you can become a member after you apply.
How do I become a Nusenda Credit Union member?
Become a member with a single $10 donation to the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance. The default amount is $25, but you can change it manually. Once you make the donation, you have to send the receipt to Nusenda Credit Union.
Next, you have to apply to become a member and open a savings account with a minimum of $5.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. For the lower APR and a higher credit limit, you’ll need a higher score. Proving you can pay off any debt you accrue will also help your chances of approval.
Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card reviews and complaints
Customers love the cashback rates on specific categories. They especially like that you don’t have to enroll each quarter to get the higher cash back, and that these categories haven’t changed in the past few years. The only complaint goes to the slightly longer application process than with other cards.
As of August 2021, Nusenda Credit Union is rated A by the Better Business Bureau, but it’s not accredited yet. Most negative reviews on the BBB website cite poor customer service.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download Nusenda CU – Mobile banking app. Pay your bills and set automatic payments, make credit card payments, transfer funds to anyone and do more using the app.
- Enroll in digital wallet. Enroll in Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay, depending on your device and simplify your credit card payments.
- Avoid interest and fees. Your due date is 21 days after the close of each billing cycle. Avoid paying a late payment fee, a variable APR and potentially a penalty APR by paying your balance in full and on time.
- Customer service. For questions, call 800-237-6211 or use the secure chat online for NCU customer service.
How do I redeem rewards from the Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card?
You can easily redeem your cash back once you reach the minimum threshold of $50. To redeem your rewards, log in to your online banking account.
The Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card is a solid cashback choice to anyone looking to maximize their rewards. You’ll get high cash back on quarterly categories that haven’t changed in the past few years, and you don’t have to enroll each quarter to get the higher cash back.
However, if you’re not sure that this is a card for you, check out other cashback credit cards to compare your options and find the best card for you.