North Loop International Student Account review
An online bank with free incoming wire transfers and no monthly fees.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
This digital startup offers an array of account perks for international students, including the ability to apply before you leave your home country and a debit card on arrival. But some of North Loop’s benefits require a Premium membership.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
What are the benefits of a checking account with North Loop?
- Minimal fees. The North Loop checking account has no monthly maintenance or account minimums. And you can use your debit card overseas with no foreign transaction fee.
- Wide ATM network. Use your Visa debit card for free at over 32,000 MoneyPass ATMs nationwide.
- Debit card lock. If you misplace your Visa debit card, lock it from your North Loop mobile app.
- CampusCashback. Nominate and vote for your favorite restaurants and shops near campus to earn 1% to 5% cash back.
What should I look out for?
North Loop is a digital bank, which means you don’t have the option of working with a representative at your local branch, among other potential drawbacks:
- Wire transfers fee. While incoming wire transfers are free, outgoing transfers are subject to a $4 to $7 fee.
- Startup risks. North Loop is a 2019 startup, which means it lacks the resources and reliability of traditional brick-and-mortar banks.
- Premium membership. To take advantage of the account’s advertised free Amazon Prime Student membership, you must be a student and pay $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year for its Premium membership.
Our experience with North Loop
Before signing up for this account, carefully read the terms and conditions you’re provided. And ask questions about anything you don’t understand.
North Loop’s ATM network and fees
North Loop mails your free debit card to your US address after account approval. Use it to access more than 32,000 ATMs across the US in the MoneyPass network for free. You may pay third-party surcharges for using your card at ATMs outside North Loop’s network.
Compare with other student bank accounts
How do I open a North Loop checking account?
- To open a North Loop checking account, you must first download the free North Loop mobile app for Android or iOS.
- Open the app and enter your full name and phone number. Add your Social Security number and citizenship status, if you’d like, and then tap Next.
- If you’re applying as an international student, upload copies of your passport, I-20 form, F-1 Visa and proof of address. If you’re applying as a student within the US, enter your Social Security number and your driver’s license or state ID. Tap Next.
- Provide your passport number, date of birth, the name of the university you plan to attend and your arrival date. Tap Next.
- Enter your US residential address. Tap Next.
- Fund your account to complete your application.
North Loop is available to US citizens and international students from countries other than:
- Central African Republic
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- North Korea
International students are eligible to apply as long as they meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years old
- Accepted into or attending a US college or university
- Valid passport
For international students:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Proof of address
- Name of the university you attend or plan to attend
- I-20 form
- F-1 Visa
For US citizens:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Social Security number
- Government-issued photo ID
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
North Loop offers a number of options to help students access funds:
- Online deposit. Transfer funds to or from an externally linked account.
- Mobile check deposit. Deposit funds by uploading a photo of a check through the mobile app.
- ATM. Deposit or withdraw cash for free at any MoneyPass ATM nationwide.
- Wire transfer. Incoming domestic and international wire transfers are free, but outgoing transfers cost $4 to $7 each.
What other checking options does North Loop offer?
At this time, North Loop only offers one checking account option and two membership plans — its free and Premium memberships.
This checking account offers free incoming wire transfers and no monthly fees, but you’ll need to switch to its Premium membership to take advantage of all of its perks.
Unsure about this account? Compare student checking accounts with other institutions to find the features and benefits that best meet your budget and needs.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.