Nolo DIY legal services review
Find professional legal books, software, articles and legal consultations on Nolo.
Legal matters are difficult to tackle on your own and are especially unwieldy without advice. If you need legal help, visit Nolo — it’ll give you the information you need for do-it-yourself work or connect you with professional help.
- Legal information all in one place
- Free searches for attorneys
- Software and documents to streamline legal operations
- Advice for do-it-yourself legal work
- It may be difficult to know where to start
What is Nolo?Nolo is a publisher of books, legal forms and software. It’s also a service that helps you find attorneys in different areas of law. If you or your business have legal needs and you’re not sure what to do, Nolo can point you in the right direction.
How much does it cost?Nolo’s books are generally between $20 and $40, with different pricing for books or e-books. You can also buy an assortment of legal products that include software, promissory notes and bills of sale that range from $30 to $50.
There’s no cost to search for a lawyer on Nolo — the site will help you obtain free case evaluations from qualified attorneys.
What are the benefits of Nolo?
- Legal information all in one place. It can be difficult to find the legal information you need from online articles, and attorney consultations can be expensive. Nolo can help you find the information you need quickly.
- Free searches for attorneys. Law firms pay Nolo to advertise on the website. Consumers don’t have to pay to conduct searches.
- Software and documents to streamline legal operations. Besides books, Nolo also offers legal forms and software to help you take care of your legal needs.
- Advice for do-it-yourself legal work. If money is tight or you’d like to pursue legal actions yourself, Nolo offers plenty of resources (including books and free articles) that can help you.
What to watch out for
- It may be difficult to know where to start. Nolo offers many resources, but it’s easy to become overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information.
Compare legal services
How do I get started?
It may be best to start with Nolo’s free articles. The site offers help in more than 20 legal topics, and you may immediately find the information you need. Afterward, browse Nolo’s legal products section, separated by topic.
If you need a consultation with a lawyer, complete a questionnaire in the “Find a Lawyer” portion of Nolo’s website. Nolo will process your answers and match you with an attorney who can help.
What information will I need?
If you’re looking for a lawyer, be ready to supply general information about your legal situation. For example, you should know the area of law your case falls under (such as business law) and have a general understanding of which legal service you’ll need (such as business formation or contracts).