Wirex Review for the Netherlands
Get crypto-rewards and take control of your money with Wirex.
Wirex lets you hold, spend and manage both fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies with an app and payment card. You can enjoy spending and transfers at the interbank rate and OTC rate plus unique benefits such as earning interest on your WXT balance and 2% cryptoback for in-store spending.
Find out about Wirex’s account options, benefits and costs in this review.
ATM fee for Euro withdrawals
Currency conversion fee
|Product Name||Wirex Standard|
|Monthly fee||€ 0|
|Card delivery||Up to 4 business days|
|Supported currencies||GBP, CHF, USD, CZK, CAD, AUD, NZD, EUR, SGD, HKD, JPY, MXN|
|ATM fee for Euro withdrawals||2%|
|Currency conversion fee||0%|
|Free ATM withdrawal limit||€400 per month|
|Mobile payments||Apple Pay, Google Pay|
|Card type||Visa, Mastercard|
|Go to site|
How does Wirex work in the Netherlands?
Wirex is a digital payment platform that helps you manage your money at home and abroad at a low cost. Once you’ve registered – via the Wirex app on your smartphone, or online – you can take advantage of your Wirex Multi-Currency Account. Its features include easy-to-view transactions, and fast payments and transfers. Plus, you can buy, sell and manage your money via 12 supported traditional currencies and nine cryptocurrencies.
If you order a Wirex Card, you’ll see a separate card account on your profile which will show you your balance. You can load money onto your prepaid Visa card and start spending across the world. Your card can be used online, in shops, over the phone or by withdrawing cash from an ATM.
- Make international payments. The app lets you transfer money to anyone in the world at the interbank exchange rate.
- Fee-free global spending. Your Wirex card automatically makes overseas payments in the local currency at the interbank rate without charging any exchange fees.
- Free ATM withdrawals. You can withdraw from both local and overseas ATMs for free.
- Hold different currencies in your account. You can hold a balance or make an exchange in eight digital and 12 traditional currencies within the app, including EUR.
- Control your card and account. You can block and unblock your card in the Wirex app as well as set monthly spending limits.
- Earn crypto rewards. Generate 2% back in Wirex Token (WXT) on all your in-store purchases, which will be instantly added to your X-tras account in the Wirex app.
- High interest rates on crypto and fiat funds. Create up to 10 X-Accounts on your Wirex app and earn up to 12% daily compounded interest on selected currencies, including BTC, ETH, GBP and EUR.
- Worldwide acceptance. Wirex cards can be used wherever Visa is accepted, whether in stores or online at over 61 million merchant locations around the world.
- Buy, hold and spend cryptocurrency. With Wirex, you can exchange, hold and spend in these cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin (BTC), Ether (ETH), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Wirex Token (WXT), Dai (DAI), Nano (NANO), Wollo (WLO) and Stellar Lumens (XLM).
- Convenient top-up. Reload your value anytime with a credit card, debit card or using cryptocurrency transfer.
- Instant notifications. Keep track of your payments with live in-app notifications instantly each time a transaction is made.
Wirex account options
Wirex offers three account tiers: Standard (€0/month), Premium (€9.99/month) and Elite (€29.99/month).
Fees and limits
It’s free to set up your Wirex account. There’s no charge to issue or deliver your Wirex Card either. But there are a certain number of fees and limits to be aware of. These include:
- ATM withdrawal charge. You can withdraw up to €400 per month at no additional cost, after which a small fee of 2% is applied.
- Foreign exchange fees. There’s a 0% foreign exchange fee for card transactions in the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Card spending. For unconfirmed top-ups, the limit is 50 USD per day while it’s 5,000 USD for any confirmed top-ups.
- Cryptocurrency purchases. There’s a fee of around 1% above the real exchange rate for crypto purchases.
It’s important to read and understand Wirex’s full list of fees and limits before you sign up for an account with them. You can find this information on its website.
Wirex is an app to consider if you want a convenient digital account with impressive cryptocurrency functionality. You can buy, hold and sell multiple fiat and digital currencies and enjoy easy account management and top-up. There’s also no monthly fee.
However, if you are looking for a digital bank account with spending analytics and savings functions, you may want to consider another app.
How to sign up
You sign up to Wirex by clicking “Go to Site” on this page. You’ll need to verify your identity by providing a valid ID and taking a selfie. After signing up, you can begin using your account and request a Wirex card.