N26 Netherlands review
A digital bank account with budgeting tools, fast and easy payments and more.
N26 is a digital bank account and app that has a bunch of useful features. These include automatic spending categorisation, letting you know your daily spend, the ability to set withdrawal limits and a feature called Spaces to help you save for a goal.
In this review of N26 Bank’s card and app we break down all of its features, costs and limits so you can see if the app is going to suit you.
ATM fee for Euro withdrawals
Currency conversion fee
|Product Name||N26 Bank Account|
|Monthly fee||€ 0|
|Card delivery||Up to 10 working days|
|Card fee||€ 0|
|ATM fee for Euro withdrawals||€ 2|
|International ATM fee||€ 1.70|
|Currency conversion fee||0%|
|Free ATM withdrawal limit||3 withdrawals per month|
|Mobile payments||Apple Pay, Google Pay|
|Go to site|
How N26 works
N26 is a digital bank that’s available in a number of countries across Europe as well as the US. When you sign up with N26 Bank, you have four account options to choose from; N26 Standard, N26 Smart, N26 You and N26 Metal.
N26 Standard is the most basic account and the only free option. The Smart, You and Metal accounts each have monthly fees attached to them but also more features for you to benefit from. All four accounts come with a Mastercard, an app, free ATM withdrawals in Euros and free payments in any currency. The app offers spending insights, security options and other useful features to help you understand and manage your money.
You manage your N26 account out of the app, which is accessible from your smartphone, or the N26 web app.
You can do a lot with N26 in the Netherlands. This includes:
- 100% digital banking. N26 offers a virtual debit card for all account tiers, which is issued instantly upon account opening. The virtual debit card is compatible with both Apple Pay and Google Pay, and may be used to withdraw cash from contactless NFC-enabled ATMs.
- Manage, transfer and spend in multiple currencies. N26’s currencies feature is powered by TransferWise, letting you send money in 19 currencies from the app. You won’t be charged for foreign currency transactions or for a limited number of ATM withdrawals in Euros. The You and Metal accounts also won’t charge you for foreign currency ATM withdrawals.
- Google Pay and Apple Pay. Make contactless payments with your smartphone by adding your N26 card to Apple Pay or Google Pay.
- Security. Set and change daily spend and withdrawal limits, reset your PIN, lock and unlock your card and enable or disable online or foreign payments.
- Budgeting tools. Get automatic categorisation and breakdowns of your purchases and create your own personal tags to organise your transactions.
- Save with spaces. If you want to save for a specific goal you can use N26’s Spaces function. It lets you put money into small sub-accounts that are kept away from your main funds.
- MoneyBeam. This feature lets you send money to your contacts without needing to know their bank details. Money is sent to fellow N26 users instantly or within two days if they’re not with N26.
- IBAN. You’ll be able to set up standing orders and receive and make payments the way you would with a traditional bank.
- Manage from multiple devices. Many challenger banks are only available through a smartphone app, but N26 also allows you to access your account from its web app as well.
How do N26 accounts work?
N26 offers four different account tiers: the standard N26 bank account, Smart, You and Metal. Here are the costs and features of these accounts:
Fees and limits
There are a few different costs and limits that come with an N26 account. These include:
- Monthly fees. There are no monthly fees for the N26 bank account. The N26 You account comes with a monthly fee of €9.90 and the Metal account comes with a monthly fee of €16.90.
- Currency conversion fee. N26 charges no foreign currency fees across its four accounts.
- ATM fees. You receive 3 withdrawals per month fee-free when withdrawing Euros. For any other currency, you will pay a €1.70 fee if you have a free account. There is no fee for international ATM withdrawals if you have a paid account.
- Overdraft fee. If you overdraw your account you will be charged 8% on the amount you overdraw.