Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Switching bank accounts
How to use the bank switching service to change bank accounts in the Netherlands.
Finding a new bank account that better meets your needs is great. But what about your existing bank account? In this guide, we’ll explain how you can easily change your bank account in the Netherlands using the bank account switching service.
What is the bank account switching service?
In the Netherlands, banks are required to cooperate with each other by offering free switching services (overstapservice) to help facilitate the transfer of customers’ accounts.
When you switch banks, your current bank will send your transaction history to your bank and will also organise your direct debits to be changed.
How does the bank account switching service work?
There are a few steps involved in using the bank account switching service.
When you open a new bank account (online or in a branch) you’ll need to provide details of your existing bank account. If you’re applying at a branch, you’ll fill out a physical form. If you’re opening an account online, just select the bank switching option and provide your details there.
Your new bank will request certain information from your old bank within two days. This includes a list of your existing standing orders and your transactions for the past 13 months.
Your old bank will send those details to your new bank and yourself within five business days. You need to tell them which transactions you want to be transferred to your new bank. as well as specify a date at which they should stop accepting incoming transfers, taking direct debits and executing standing orders. They will transfer the remaining balance of your account to your new bank on the date you choose and then close your account.
Your old bank will get in contact with any companies affected by your account switch. This includes any standing orders you have set up.
Every company involved in the switch needs to confirm it in writing. Your standing orders and direct debits will be changed on the date you specified and your account will be closed.
What should you remember when using the switching service
There are a few points to keep in mind when you switch banks using the service.
- You need to open your new bank account before you can switch
- There is a promise that switching your account using this method will take ten minutes, but it often takes longer.
- You are responsible for identifying important direct debits and saved payments, so make sure you take time to find all important transactions that need to be switched.
- You need to provide contact information for any companies your old bank needs to get in touch with.
- Some online service providers, such as PayPal and eBay, require you to manually change your bank account information on their websites.
- There are reports that regular standing orders (periodieke overschrijvingen) are not easy to transfer using the bank switching service. You may decide to change these manually.
What should you consider before changing bank accounts?
Here are some factors you may wish to consider before making the switch.
- Introductory perks. Once you switch to a new provider, you may be eligible for new customer perks including preferential interest rates and cashback on bills paid. Are these perks worth the switch, or do you already enjoy huge deals with your current provider? Additionally, these privileges are enjoyed by first-time customers. This means you may not be eligible if you switch to a provider with which you already hold with an account, or used to hold an account.
- Early closure fee on your existing bank account. Some Dutch banks impose early closure fees when accounts are closed before a stipulated time period has passed. This cost is typically nominal but could influence the timing at which you’d choose to switch bank accounts.
- Fees and interest rate of your new account. What are the fees associated with your new account and the interest rate offered? Do they rival the terms offered by your existing account?
- Eligibility. Are you eligible for the new account you’ve got your eye on? In some cases, you may be eligible for basic account opening but not for the full interest rates and benefits as advertised by the bank. This happens most often with bank accounts offering tiered interest rates.
- Non-monetary considerations with your new bank. Besides interest rates and fees, there are plenty of things to consider with a new bank. How accessible are their ATMs? What is the quality of customer service offered? Is mobile banking available? Draw up a list of questions and see if your new provider meets your desired criteria.
- Licensing. If you’re considering switching to a digital bank, you should check how it is licenced. Not all digital banks are “banks”. Without a banking licence, these providers cannot offer standard bank accounts and funds you deposit with them aren’t protected by the government guarantee.
Frequently asked questions
Compare a range of banks accounts in the Netherlands
More guides on Finder
Review: Kriptomat cryptocurrency exchange
Discover the features available on the EU-focused Kriptomat cryptocurrency exchange, how to get started and what cryptocurrency investor the exchange is best suited for.
N26 vs Monese
In deze gids vergelijken we de overeenkomende producten van de digitale banken N26 en Monse zodat je kunt nagaan welke bank beter bij jou past.
Vivid Money Review
Maak kennis met Vivid Money, een app voor mobiel bankieren. Lees meer over de mogelijkheden en kosten in deze review.
Hoe kun je Ethereum (ETH) kopen?
Als je Ethereum’s ether-munten (ETH) wil kopen maar niet weet hoe, lees dan hoe dit in z’n werk gaat in deze gedetailleerde gids.
Geld overmaken naar het buitenland met een creditcard
Als je met je creditcard wil betalen voor een overboeking kun je dit via je bank, een gespecialiseerde service of Paypal doen. Dit kan handig zijn in noodsituaties, maar met je creditcard betalen voor een overboeking naar het buitenland is vaak een van de duurdere opties.
NETELLER Nederland review
Lees meer over de tarieven en mogelijkheden van NETTELLER-kaarten in Nederland.
How to set up and watch Disney+ on Samsung TVs in the Netherlands
Select Samsung model TVs allow you to download the Disney+ app and begin watching.
Here’s how to watch the Star Wars movies in chronological order on Disney+ Netherlands
Book a memorable trip to a galaxy far, far away with Disney+.
hayu Netherlands free trial and promo codes July 2022
Get promo codes, free trials and discounts on reality TV streaming service hayu in Ireland.
How to set up hayu | A step-by-step guide
Start using hayu in a matter or minutes with our easy guide.
Ask an Expert