Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Cheap* bank accounts in the Netherlands
Compare low-fee bank accounts in the Netherlands and find the best one for you.
Bank accounts should help you save more, but high account fees could really get in the way of this goal. From account maintenance fees to overdraft fees, bank accounts have a range of costs and charges that could eat away at your money. Want to avoid such a scenario? Use our guide to explore the cheapest bank accounts in the Netherlands, and compare them to pick the right one for you.
Compare a range of cheap* digital bank accounts in the Netherlands
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Which are the cheapest bank accounts in the Netherlands?
There is a huge range of low-fee bank account providers available in the Netherlands. Here are a few you may wish to consider in order to pick the cheapest bank account in the Netherlands for your banking needs.
- Knab. Knab is a Netherlands-only digital bank that offers up to 5 free checking accounts, each with their own debit cards. The main fees to watch out for are account maintenance costs, which stand at €2.5/month for the first year and €5/month following that.
- N26. Another popular digital bank contender is N26, which offers a free account tier that comes with no monthly fees, no currency conversion mark-ups and a slew of in-app budgeting features to help you save more. The main N26 fees to watch are ATM transaction fees, which amount to 1.7% per withdrawal in foreign currencies.
- Revolut. Revolut offers 3 tiers of digital bank accounts, with its lowest tier coming with zero monthly fees. Enjoy no currency conversion fees up to a limit of € 6,000 per month and the ability to hold up to 16 currencies in your account. Besides this, you may also enjoy a European IBAN, savings features and crypto purchase options.
- ASN Bank. ASN is a socially-responsible Netherlands-based bank with free accounts for those below the age of 18. Adults stand to enjoy low-fees with ASN as well, including fee-free ATM transactions within the EU.
- Rabobank DirectPackage. Bank accounts from this co-operative bank in the Netherlands come with contactless payments, internet banking, and a custom mobile banking app. Account maintenance fees are no more than €1.70 per month.
- ABN-AMRO Bank. ABN-AMRO’s Standard Current Account is the only low-fee Netherlands traditional bank account with multi-lingual support and 24/7 customer support for expatriates. Maintenance fees stand at €1.55 per month while ATM transaction fees are € 0, up to € 10,000.
What types of fees should I watch out for?
How should you go about comparing bank accounts and deciding on the cheapest bank account available to you? It’s all about understanding the types of fees involved. Here are some common fee types you may encounter with a standard bank account in the Netherlands.
- Foreign currency conversion costs
- Card delivery charges
- Card replacement fees
- ATM withdrawal fees
- Paper statement charges
- Overdraft costs
- Wire transfer fees
- Phone banking costs
In order to fully gauge the fees you may end up paying on your bank account, clarify any queries with your bank provider before committing to them.
What else should I consider when choosing a bank account?
The cheapest bank account in the Netherlands may not always be the best account for you. Besides considering account fees, you should consider the range of features available when choosing a bank account.
- Promotional offers. Certain bank accounts come with frequent promotional offers including bonus cashback, rewards and exclusive interest rates on your savings.
- Customer service. Entrusting your money with a provider is no small matter, so it pays to invest time in gauging the quality of the customer service offered.
- Unique account types. If you have a special financial profile, you may wish to open a customised account that’s targeted to your needs. Students, for example, may want to consider student-specific accounts that often contain features relevant to their financial situation. Businesses, on the other hand, may wish to opt for specialised corporate accounts.
- Online banking. Tech-savvy clients may prefer banks with better online banking features, or prefer digital banks altogether.
- Smart budgeting features. Plenty of banks offer smart money management tools to help you understand and manage your money better. Choose a provider who offers features that are intuitive and attractive to you.
Switching to a cheaper bank account in the Netherlands
The process for switching bank accounts tends to be standard amongst traditional banks in the Netherlands. Ring up your new provider and inform them of your interest in switching to an account with them. Your new provider will get in touch with you and explain the steps you need to take. Digital banks, on the other hand, may have a different switching process. Clarify your queries with both your current and new providers before making the switch.
There are plenty of low-fee bank accounts to consider. However, when choosing the cheapest bank account in the Netherlands, it’s important to make a holistic decision. This means considering fees alongside important account features like interest rates, online banking features, customer service quality or availability of specialised accounts. Such a thought process could ultimately help you pick the best bank account for your financial needs.
More guides on Finder
Where to watch Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings online in Netherlands
Watch a new Marvel legend rise.
Review: Kriptomat cryptocurrency exchange
Discover the features available on the EU-focused Kriptomat cryptocurrency exchange, how to get started and what cryptocurrency investor the exchange is best suited for.
N26 vs Monese
In deze gids vergelijken we de overeenkomende producten van de digitale banken N26 en Monse zodat je kunt nagaan welke bank beter bij jou past.
Hoe kun je Ethereum (ETH) kopen?
Als je Ethereum’s ether-munten (ETH) wil kopen maar niet weet hoe, lees dan hoe dit in z’n werk gaat in deze gedetailleerde gids.
Beste apps om geld over te maken naar het buitenland
Compare popular money transfer apps to get the most out of your mobile international transfer.
Geld overmaken naar het buitenland met een creditcard
Als je met je creditcard wil betalen voor een overboeking kun je dit via je bank, een gespecialiseerde service of Paypal doen. Dit kan handig zijn in noodsituaties, maar met je creditcard betalen voor een overboeking naar het buitenland is vaak een van de duurdere opties.
How to watch the 2020 NRL Grand Final from the Netherlands
The Melbourne Storm take on the Penrith Panthers in the 2020 NRL Grand Final. Here’s how you can watch overseas.
How to watch Disney’s Mulan live-action remake live in the Netherlands
The live-action blockbuster will be offered on Premium Access.
Compare eBook readers: Kobo vs Kindle ereaders
If you’re looking for a new ebook reader or want to know more about ebooks, we’ve got you covered.
Top 10 best movies available on Disney+ Netherlands
Planning a blockbuster marathon? Disney+ has your back.