New Jersey Manufacturers (NJM) home insurance review
Get coverage for your Mid-Atlantic home with annual premium credits when the company is profitable.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for an established company with a great reputation.
- Pick something else if Pick something else if you don’t live in Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Connecticut.
- Homeowners who live in flood zones will enjoy buying their policy through NJM instead of going to FEMA.
CT, DE, NJ, NY, PA
- Overall positive customer reviews.
- Manage your flood and homeowners policy in one place.
- Get dividends from company profits each year.
- Only available in three states.
- No mobile app.
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder specializing in home loans, banking and insurance. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed.org, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She holds a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
NJM home insurance has a great reputation and offers many customizations, making it a great option if you need coverage outside the norm and a way to keep your premiums from inflating. But if you don’t live within the service area, or are looking for a company with a wider technological reach, shop around to see if you can find a better fit for your needs.
What home insurance coverage does NJM offer?
NJM’s standard homeowners policy offers the following coverage:
- Dwelling. Covers the structure of your home, such as the ceilings, floors, roof and walls. It also covers items that are permanently attached to your home, like windows and doors.
- Other structures. Protects other structures on your property, like sheds, fences and mailboxes.
- Personal property. Provides compensation for damaged or lost personal property that belongs to you, even if it’s damaged elsewhere.
- Personal liability. Covers compensation for third-party guests who are injured or have their property damaged due to your negligence.
What kind of add-ons does NJM offer?
You can personalize your policy using the following endorsements:
- Scheduled personal property. Provides broader protection for high-value articles of jewelry, fur and silverware. Requires an up-to-date appraisal for each item, photos and a copy of the original receipt.
- Credit card fraud coverage. Increases your fraud coverage if your credit card is used fraudulently or you experience a loss due to a forged check or counterfeit money.
- Increased personal property. Coverage increase on categories of personal property subject to limits in the standard policy, including property like money, jewelry and electronic equipment.
- Identity fraud coverage. Provides up to $15,000 for expenses related to identity fraud.
- Household liability. Extends liability coverage to other members of your household, and can be increased to cover those who aren’t related to you and aren’t on the deed or lease.
- Remediation coverage. Additional coverage for remediation services related to mold, fungus, dry rot and other covered damages.
- Association coverage. Covers your share of homeowners association liability issues, up to $1,000.
- Water back-up coverage. Provides up to $5,000 to repair damage to your home caused by water or waterborne material that backs up or overflows from your sump pump.
- Earthquake coverage. Covers damages from earthquakes, which are rare in Mid-Atlantic states.
What home insurance discounts can I get?
NJM provides a wide selection of discount, some of which include the following:
- Bundle policies. Bundle your NJM auto and home insurance policies to save on both.
- Home safety discount. If your home has a smoke alarm or sprinkler system, you’ll receive a discount on your policy.
- New construction discount. Get a discount for buying a new construction home.
- Senior discount. If you’re over the age of 65, you can get a discount.
- Generator discount. Ask about a discount if you own an automatic backup or portable generator.
- Nonsmoker discount. You can get a discount for being a nonsmoker, even if you recently quit.
- Storm safety discount. In New Jersey and Connecticut, you can get a discount for having storm shutters and impact resistant glass installed in all windows.
- Paid-in-full discount. Get a discount for paying your annual premiums up front before the first installment due date.
- Electronic payment discount. Enroll in the NJM automatic payment plan to receive a discount.
- Paperless discount. In Pennsylvania and Connecticut, receive a discount for signing up for paperless billing.
Pros and cons of NJM home insurance
- Positive customer reviews. NJM is proud of it’s reputation and even links to TrustPilot customer reviews from it’s website on the homeowners insurance page. It also has relatively few customer complaints on the Better Business Bureau for an insurer of its size.
- Manage your flood insurance. While most flood insurance has to be purchased as a separate plan from FEMA directly, NJM works with a subsidiary so that your flood policy can still be managed through your NJM account online.
- Pays dividends. Every year that NJM makes a large enough profit, they pay dividends in the form of premium credits upon renewal to their customers. For example, the dividend to homeowners policy holders in 2017 was a 5% credit toward their 2018 premiums.
- Customize your policy. NJM’s long list of endorsements and discounts allows you to personalize your coverage and keep down the cost of your premium.
- Limited market. NJM is only available in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Connecticut.
- No mobile app. You can manage your account online, but NJM doesn’t provide a mobile app.
How to apply for NJM home insurance
NJM allows you to get a quote through their website, but the process is prone to errors and might not let you complete the process online. Your best bet may be to call an agent.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with NJM?
NJM suggests you have the following documentation on hand before applying for home insurance:
- The policy declarations page of your current home insurance
- Your desired coverage amounts
- The mortgage commitment papers for your home