New Jersey Manufacturers car insurance review
If you call New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania home, this niche insurer is worth a look.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re fed up with high insurance rates.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in those 3 states.
- All drivers can apply, regardless of employment.
New car protection
|States served||Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||No|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
|Rideshare coverage||Not specified|
- Local agents
- Competitive rates
- 24/7 claims processing
- Online portal
- Most drivers welcome
- Teen Safe Driving program
- No live chat
- Limited geographic reach
- Limited eligibility
- Missing coverage
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Yes, NJ drivers only|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, 5%, NJ drivers only|
|Good student discount||Yes, high school & college students with a 3.0 GPA|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Driver Training Discount - drivers under 21 years old who successfully complete a certain amount of training Mature Driver Improvement - PA drivers over 55 who successfully complete a driver improvement course|
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
NJM caters to drivers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania with wide coverage, and its agents are not only local but specialize in the laws and nuances of both states. Its coverage includes a long list of helpful add-ons like ridesharing or transportation reimbursements. It’s a niche, local insurer and for customers, that’s where its appeal lies.
As a mutual company, the firm relies on customer service and it has very few complaints in its history. It’s also paid out steady dividends to policyholders since 1918.
If you drive in one of the states it serves, NJM is definitely worth exploring. It stands out for offering low premiums and discounts — especially in New Jersey, where auto insurance rates are among the highest in the country.
Who can apply for NJM insurance?
Although NJM used to have strict eligibility requirements for drivers in New Jersey, the company has expanded its coverage to include all drivers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. In fact, that open eligibility extends to all its personal and business insurance products in all three states.
What car insurance coverage does NJM offer?
NJM’s coverage is geared toward state laws and driving conditions in the states it serves. Your policy might cover:
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Covers medical costs or lost wages for you or other people under your policy regardless of who caused the accident. Depending on your policy, NJM can pay between $15,000 and $250,000 per person or accident. This is legally required for New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Body injury liability. Legally required, this pays for claims by people injured in an accident you caused. Choose up to $500,000 combined for bodily injury and property damage liability.
- Property damage liability. Also state-mandated in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, this pays for the damage you cause to others’ property.
- Combined single-limit liability. Under New Jersey’s Standard Policy, this provides liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage with a combined limit.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Required by New Jersey, this kicks for accidents caused by a driver with little to no insurance.
What add-ons and features does NJM have?
The company offers a host of benefits and a teen driving program to keep you car safer. Coverage includes:
- Collision. This add-on covers damage to your vehicle after a collision with another car or object.
- Comprehensive. This pays for damage to your car caused by theft, vandalism, flooding, fire or broken windshields.
- New car replacement. Covers replacing your damaged car with a brand new one without paying for depreciation, as long as your car is eligible.
- Gap. If your car gets damaged beyond repair, this coverage pays for any leftover balance on your car loan.
- Extended medical expense coverage limit. With a limit of $10,000, this takes care of the costs if you’re injured while in a non-standard vehicle like a bus, motorcycle, taxi or commercial truck. It also applies to pedestrians struck by those vehicles.
- Roadside assistance. NJM stands out for offering this service free of charge on all auto policies. The insurer pays up to $75 each time a covered car experiences a mechanical breakdown, flat tire or lockout.
- Transportation expenses. Choose between renting a car or paying for rideshares or taxis to get around while your car is getting repaired. You can choose a limit of $20 or $30 per day or pay extra for up to $100 per day.
- Rideshare. NJM can help you fill in gaps of coverage when you’re using your car to drive paying customers around.
- Trailer or camper physical damage. Although your trailer or camper gets liability coverage while you’re towing it, you can opt to cover it for at-fault collisions, weather and theft.
- Limited pet injury. Help your pet get the vet care they need for car accident injuries.
What is NJM’s Teen Safe Driving program?
As part of its Teen Driver Safety program, NJM officers visit high schools around New Jersey to talk about distracted driving and state driving laws. The initiative is fully funded by NJM and free for all schools.
In 2013, the insurer launched Share The Keys, a 60- to 90-minute interactive program for parents and their teen drivers. The program aims to reduce the risk of teen crashes by getting parents involved. During the presentation, NJM touches on controlling the keys, being a good role model and boosting your teen’s practice driving hours.
What discounts can I get with NJM?
NJM offers attractive discounts for qualifying customers.
- Home and auto bundle. Choose NJM for your auto and home or renters insurance to earn a discount.
- New car. This discount kicks in if you drive a car that’s two years old or newer.
- Multi-car discount. Insure two or more vehicles on the same policy and NJM will apply a discount for each.
- Full coverage. Lower your overall premium for each coverage when you opt for both comprehensive and collision.
- Anti-theft device discount. Is your car equipped with an anti-theft or vehicle recovery device? You’ll likely get a discount.
- Telematics program. NJM offers a program called SafeDrive that tracks your behavior through an app and offers discounts for safe. The app rates you based on several factors: your braking, cornering, speed, acceleration and whether you’re driving while distracted by your phone.
- Driver training discount. This is available to drivers younger than 21 who complete 30 hours of classroom instruction and 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training. Behind-the-wheel training can also include 3 hours of driving and 12 hours in an approved driving simulator.
- Defensive driving. If you’ve taken a defensive driving course approved by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, you’ll get a 5% discount for up to three years. You can retake the course every three years, even online courses.
- Mature driver improvement discount. Older drivers in Pennsylvania or Connecticut can qualify for a discount if they complete an approved driver improvement course. Each state includes its own qualifications, such as completing a course within the past two or three years.
- Good student discount. If you’re a high school or college student with a B average or 3.0 GPA or higher, NJM may reward that by slashing your premium.
- Payment discounts. Get rewards for paying your premium in full, through electronic payments or using paperless billing. The paperless billing discount is not available in New Jersey.
- Dividends. Along with offering specialized service and a long list of discounts, NJM pays dividends to its policyholders at an average rate of 5% of the yearly premium each year. Since 1918, more than $6 billion has been paid to policyholders — an impressive number for a niche insurer.
Pros and cons of NJM
- Local agents. Every agent is aware of unique local driving laws.
- Competitive rates. NJM’s premiums can be up to 20% lower than the state average.
- 24/7 claims processing. You can file a claim over the phone or online at any time.
- Online portal. Manage your policy, make payments and monitor claims
- Most drivers can apply. The insurer offers some of the cheapest rates for drivers with poor credit and one at-fault accident on their record.
- Teen Safe Driving program. NJM takes the safety of its state’s roads into its own hands, offering free safety presentations to New Jersey high schools.
- No live chat. NJM’s website doesn’t offer real-time help.
- Limited geographic reach. Auto insurance policies are only available in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.
- Missing coverage. Unlike many providers in New Jersey, NJM’s policies don’t cover luxury cars or include mechanical breakdown or personal property coverage.
Compare alternatives to NJM
What do customers say about NJM?
While NJM isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), it holds a B- rating as of February 2020. This rating reflects the company not responding to or resolving eight complaints on the site.
However, the BBB has closed just 29 complaints in the past three years, most of which touched on issues with billing and claims processing. Some people experienced trouble getting claims paid out or reimbursed for transportation expenses. Others felt the amount reimbursed was inappropriate to the amount of damage.
On online forums, customers praise the company’s local knowledge, timely investigations and fair repairs, though some say it can be slow to communicate and process claims.
NJM also ranked as one of the top three companies for its customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
How to apply for car insurance with NJM
To get a quote online:
- Head to NJM’s website.
- On the homepage, you’ll see two dropdown boxes. Select your area: New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, and the type of coverage you’re interested in: Auto.
- Click Get Quote.
- You’ll then be asked to enter your personal information and driving history, and shown your coverage options and rates.
You can also get a quote over the phone by calling 800-232-6600, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. or Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.
What information do I need to apply?
- Your driver’s license number
- Details on your driving history, including past claims and accidents
- Details of the car you’re insuring
- The names of the people who will be driving it
How do I find an NJM agent near me?
NJM has offices in West Trenton, Parsippany and Hammonton in New Jersey. If you’re not nearby, you can call, email or fax customer service. The company does not have any brick-and-mortar offices in Pennsylvania.
How do I make a claim with NJM?
You can file a car insurance claim 24/7 by calling 800-367-6564 or logging into the online portal.
You’ll need to provide the following information:
- Your policy number
- Your contact details
- Your relationship to the policyholder, if it’s not you
- Date, time and location of the incident
- Description of incident
- Photos of any damage caused
How do I contact NJM?
You can get in touch with NJM in a few ways.
- In person. Visit the offices in West Trenton, Parsippany and Hammonton, New Jersey.
- Email. Navigate to the Contact Us page on NJM’s website, and fill out the email form.
- Phone. Call 800-232-6600. The customer service team is available Monday through Friday from 7a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.
- Fax. Send a fax to the below numbers.
- West Trenton: 609-882-3457
- Parsippany: 973-326-6809
- Hammonton: 609-493-1475
- Mail. Post can be directed to: NJM Insurance Group, 301 Sullivan Way, West Trenton, NJ 08628
Frequently asked questions about NJM
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.