New Jersey Manufacturers car insurance review
Get top-rated service from local agents if you live in New Jersey, Connecticut, Ohio or Pennsylvania
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want local service and low insurance rates.
- Pick something else if you find cheaper rates or need specialized coverage.
- All drivers in these 4 states can apply, regardless of employment.
New car protection
|States served||Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||No|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
|Rideshare coverage||Not specified|
- Local agents
- Competitive rates
- 24/7 claims processing
- Online portal
- Most drivers welcome
- Teen Safe Driving program
- No live chat
- Limited geographic reach
- Limited eligibility
- Missing coverage
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Yes, NJ drivers only|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, 5%, NJ drivers only|
|Good student discount||Yes, high school & college students with a 3.0 GPA|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Driver Training Discount - drivers under 21 years old who successfully complete a certain amount of training Mature Driver Improvement - PA drivers over 55 who successfully complete a driver improvement course|
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
NJM is a niche, local insurer that caters to drivers in New Jersey, Connecticut, Ohio and Pennsylvania. The company’s appeal lies in its friendly and helpful customer service, a claim that’s backed by thousands of positive customer reviews. Its agents are not only local, but they specialize in the laws and nuances of their state.
Drivers can also find wide coverage that you wouldn’t expect from a local company. NJM’s long list of coverage includes add-ons like ridesharing, new car replacement or transportation reimbursement after an accident.
Plus since it’s a mutual company, NJM pays dividends to its customers, paying about 5% of yearly premiums steadily since 1918. Some customers do report billing issues and slow claims, and you can’t get a policy if you live outside of NJM’s service area.
Otherwise, NJM is definitely worth a quote. The company stands out with its customer service and low premiums — especially in New Jersey, where auto insurance rates are among the highest in the country.
How to get a free quote for NJM car insurance
Many customers like working with a local NJM agent — visit offices in West Trenton, Parsippany or Hammonton, New Jersey. If you don’t live nearby, you can call 800-232-6600, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. or Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.
Or you can get a quote online to peek at your potential premium.
- Head to NJM’s website and find the quote tool with two dropdown boxes on its homepage.
- Select your area: Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania or New Jersey and choose auto as your policy type. Click Get Quote.
- Enter your personal information, driving history and any other details asked to show your driving profile.
- View your coverage options and quote, then move forward with your payment details if you want to start a policy.
What information do I need to apply?
Keep a few documents and details handy to speed along your application process.
- Your driver’s license number
- Details on your driving history, including past claims and accidents
- Details of the car you’re insuring
- The names of the people who will be driving it
What discounts can I get with NJM?
NJM offers a suite of attractive discounts for qualifying customers, a long list that you don’t always see from a local company.
- Home and auto bundle. Choose NJM for your auto and home or renters insurance to earn a discount.
- New car. This discount kicks in if you drive a car that’s two years old or newer.
- Multi-car discount. Insure two or more vehicles on the same policy and NJM will apply a discount for each.
- Full coverage. Lower your overall premium for each coverage when you opt for both comprehensive and collision.
- Anti-theft device discount. Is your car equipped with an anti-theft or vehicle recovery device? You’ll likely get a discount.
- Telematics program. NJM offers a program called SafeDrive that tracks your behavior through an app and offers discounts for safe. The app rates you based on several factors: your braking, cornering, speed, acceleration and whether you’re driving while distracted by your phone.
- Driver training discount. This is available to drivers younger than 21 who complete 30 hours of classroom instruction and 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training. Behind-the-wheel training can also include 3 hours of driving and 12 hours in an approved driving simulator.
- Defensive driving. If you’ve taken a defensive driving course approved by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, you’ll get a 5% discount for up to three years. You can retake the course every three years, even online courses.
- Mature driver improvement discount. Older drivers in Pennsylvania or Connecticut can qualify for a discount if they complete an approved driver improvement course. Each state includes its own qualifications, such as completing a course within the past two or three years.
- Good student discount. If you’re a high school or college student with a B average or 3.0 GPA or higher, NJM may reward that by slashing your premium.
- Payment discounts. Get rewards for paying your premium in full, through electronic payments or using paperless billing. The paperless billing discount is not available in New Jersey.
- Dividends. Along with offering specialized service and a long list of discounts, NJM pays dividends to its policyholders at an average rate of 5% of the yearly premium each year. Since 1918, more than $6 billion has been paid to policyholders — an impressive number for a niche insurer.
What add-ons and perks does NJM offer?
The company offers a host of add-ons and a teen driving program to keep drivers safe. Coverage includes:
- New car replacement. Covers replacing your damaged car with a brand new one without paying for depreciation, as long as your car is eligible.
- Gap. If your car gets damaged beyond repair, this coverage pays for any leftover balance on your car loan.
- Extended medical expense coverage limit. With a limit of $10,000, this takes care of the costs if you’re injured while in a non-standard vehicle like a bus, motorcycle, taxi or commercial truck. It also applies to pedestrians struck by those vehicles.
- Roadside assistance. NJM stands out for offering this service free of charge on all auto policies. The insurer pays up to $75 each time a covered car experiences a mechanical breakdown, flat tire or lockout.
- Transportation expenses. Choose between renting a car or paying for rideshares or taxis to get around while your car is getting repaired. You can choose a limit of $20 or $30 per day or pay extra for up to $100 per day.
- Rideshare. NJM can help you fill in gaps of coverage when you’re using your car to drive paying customers around.
- Trailer or camper physical damage. Although your trailer or camper gets liability coverage while you’re towing it, you can opt to cover it for at-fault collisions, weather and theft.
- Limited pet injury. Help your pet get the vet care they need for car accident injuries.
What is NJM’s Teen Safe Driving program?
As part of its Teen Driver Safety program, NJM officers visit high schools around New Jersey to talk about distracted driving and state driving laws. The initiative is fully funded by NJM and free for all schools.
In 2013, the insurer launched Share The Keys, a 60- to 90-minute interactive program for parents and their teen drivers. The program aims to reduce the risk of teen crashes by getting parents involved. During the presentation, NJM touches on controlling the keys, being a good role model and boosting your teen’s practice driving hours.
New Jersey Manufacturers car insurance reviews and complaints
While NJM isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), it holds an A- BBB rating for its customer interactions, as of April 2021. NJM also received a 0.14 rating on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index. The industry standard is 1.00, showing that NJM gets far fewer complaints than average for its size.
The company ranks as one of the top insurers for the Mid-Atlantic US, ranking No. 4 out of 15 companies in J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study. And on Trustpilot, nearly 6,000 customers rate the company with an overall 4.8 out of 5 stars. NJM does ask its customers to leave a review on Trustpilot.
Some people experience trouble getting claims paid or reimbursed for transportation with NJM. A few customers say they received an unexpected notice about their policy lapsing or unexpected charges on their account. Overall, customers praise the company’s local knowledge, friendly customer service and quick claims payments, though some say that NJM is hard to reach during the claims process.
Our star ratings for NJM, explained
Our car insurance experts rate NJM with 4 out of 5 stars because of its high marks from customers and rating sites across the board, including J.D. Power, Trustpilot, the BBB and AM Best. Its A+ AM Best score proves its strong ability to pay out claims.
It also holds one of the lowest NAIC scores of any insurer, showing that customers have few complaints about the company. NJM’s few discounts does pull down its overall score.
Compare alternatives to NJM
Consider the features of other insurance companies to compare with NJM, and select Get quotes to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does NJM offer?
NJM’s coverage is geared toward state laws and driving conditions in the states it serves. Your policy might cover:
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Covers medical costs or lost wages for you or other people under your policy regardless of who caused the accident. Depending on your policy, NJM can pay between $15,000 and $250,000 per person or accident. This is legally required for New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Body injury liability. Legally required, this pays for claims by people injured in an accident you caused. Choose up to $500,000 combined for bodily injury and property damage liability.
- Property damage liability. Also state-mandated in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, this pays for the damage you cause to others’ property.
- Combined single-limit liability. Under New Jersey’s Standard Policy, this provides liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage with a combined limit.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Required by New Jersey, this kicks for accidents caused by a driver with little to no insurance.
- Collision. This add-on covers damage to your vehicle after a collision with another car or object.
- Comprehensive. This pays for damage to your car caused by theft, vandalism, flooding, fire or broken windshields.
Who can apply for NJM insurance?
Although NJM used to have strict eligibility requirements for drivers in New Jersey, the company has expanded its coverage to include all drivers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. In fact, that open eligibility extends to all its personal and business insurance products in all three states.
Pros and cons of NJM car insurance
- Local agents. Every agent is aware of unique local driving laws, which can ease the process of starting your policy or processing your claim.
- High customer ratings. Customers give NJM high marks for its customer service, even during the claims process. Not all insurers keep such high ratings.
- Competitive rates. NJM’s premiums can be up to 20% lower than the state average.
- Pays dividends. Since NJM is owned by policyholders, you typically get a bonus check based on the company’s profits for the year.
- Most drivers can apply. The insurer offers some of the cheapest rates for drivers with poor credit and one at-fault accident on their record.
- No live chat. NJM’s website doesn’t offer real-time help.
- Limited reach. Auto insurance policies are only available in Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
How do I make a claim with NJM?
You can file a car insurance claim 24/7 by calling 800-367-6564 or logging into the online portal.
You’ll need to provide the following information:
- Your policy number
- Your contact details
- Your relationship to the policyholder, if it’s not you
- Date, time and location of the incident
- Description of incident
- Photos of any damage caused
How do I contact NJM?
You can get in touch with NJM in a few ways.
- In person. Visit the offices in West Trenton, Parsippany and Hammonton, New Jersey.
- Email. Navigate to the Contact Us page on NJM’s website, and fill out the email form.
- Phone. Call 800-232-6600. The customer service team is available Monday through Friday from 7a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.
- Fax. Send a fax to the below numbers.
- West Trenton: 609-882-3457
- Parsippany: 973-326-6809
- Hammonton: 609-493-1475
- Mail. Post can be directed to: NJM Insurance Group, 301 Sullivan Way, West Trenton, NJ 08628
Frequently asked questions about NJM car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.