Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard review
Receive your refund without a bank account, but you must file your return at a Liberty Tax office.
The Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard gives you direct access to your tax refund without requiring a bank account, but you can only get the card if you file your return at a Liberty Tax office.
Up to $4.95
Monthly maintenance fee
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
|Monthly fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$0|
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|Signature transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1|
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
The Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard makes sense if you don’t have a bank account and want direct access to your tax refund without being required to deposit a check. However, you must file your taxes as a Liberty Tax office to get this card.
But if you already have a bank account, it may be easier to get your tax refund or future stimulus payments deposited straight to your existing checking account.
How much does Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard cost?
There are two plans to choose from:
- The Pay-as-you-go plan costs $0 a month but you’ll pay $1 per purchase
- The monthly plan costs $4.95 a month and you won’t pay a purchasing fee. This table highlights the fees and limits for each plan.
|Pay-As-You-Go plan||Monthly Plan|
|Plan fee||$0||$4.95 per month|
|ATM balance inquiry||$0.50||$0.50|
|Live customer service (per call)||$0||$0|
|Inactivity (after 90 days w/no trans)||$5.95 per mo.||$5.95 per mo.|
|Teller withdrawal (OTC at financial inst.)||$19.95||$19.95|
How do I get the Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard?
You must file your taxes at a Liberty Tax location to get a Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard. Here’s how to make an appointment at the office nearest you.
- Visit the Liberty Tax site and select Make an appointment.
- Enter your ZIP code and select Go.
- Select the office closest to your location.
- Choose an appointment date and time, then click or tap Next.
- Enter your name, email address, phone number and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Decide whether you want Liberty Tax to contact you via email, text message or both.
- Select Schedule appointment, then confirm the date, time and office location.
To receive a Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard, you must meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident alien
- Required to file a tax return in the US
If you meet the above eligibility requirements, have the following information handy:
- First and last name
- Physical residential address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Government-issued identification number
What you’ll like about the Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard
Like most prepaid cards, you can get paid up to two days early if you set up direct deposits to your Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard. There are also a few other benefits you can take advantage of.
- Limited-time direct deposit bonus. If you activate your card and receive a direct deposit of at least $500 by May 30, 2021, you’ll earn a $20 credit.
- ID theft protection. All Netspend Mastercards come with this service that detects and defends against identity theft.
What to watch out for
The Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard also has a few drawbacks you should keep in mind.
- Must file at a Liberty Tax office. You’re required to file your taxes at a Liberty Tax office to qualify for this card.
- Not available nationwide. Residents of Vermont are ineligible to receive a Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard.
- ATM fees. You can use your Netspend card to withdraw cash at nearly any ATM, but you will pay a $2.50 fee per withdrawal plus whatever the owner of the ATM charges.
- Limited support. Netspend doesn’t provide chat support, and although you can call 866-387-7363, you’ll only get through to a representative if you’re an existing cardholder. If you’re not, you’re limited to emailing email@example.com.
- Negative reviews. Netspend has negative reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot, with most claiming that Netspend has poor customer service.
Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard reviews and complaints
Netspend is not accredited by the BBB, but it has an A+ rating based on 2,144 complaints in the last three years. Yet, according to 262 customer reviews on the BBB’s website, Netspend has an average rating of just 1.1 out of a possible five stars. Of the 43 reviews on Trustpilot, Netspend has an average rating of 1.8 out of 5.
None of the reviews we found specifically relate to the Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard. Instead, most of the reviews mention Netspend’s poor customer service and misleading claims by the company.
Is the Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard safe?
Yes. The Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard includes Mastercard ID Theft Protection, which provides detection and protection against identity theft, including monitoring, alerts and expert resolution. The card is also FDIC insured up to $250,000 through the Republic Bank & Trust Company.
Compare Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard with other prepaid cards
See how other prepaid cards stack up based on fees, features and ATM networks.
How long will it take to get my card?
You’ll receive a temporary Netspend card immediately after completing your tax return at a Liberty Tax office. You’ll then receive a Netspend card within seven to 10 business days. Typically, your tax refund will be applied to your card within 21 days of filing your return, but this isn’t always the case.
I got the card. Now what?
Once you receive your Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard, you can use it in several ways.
- Pay for purchases. You can use your Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid card at any retailer that accepts Mastercard.
- Access cash at ATMs and banks. You can withdraw cash from most ATMs and many banks, but you’ll pay at least $2.50 in fees per withdrawal.
- Set aside some savings. Consider applying for Netspend’s optional high-yield savings account that offers an APY of 5.0% on balances below $1,000 and 0.50% on balances above $1,000.
5 funding options
There are several ways to load cash onto your card.
- Direct deposit. Deposit your paycheck directly onto your Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard.
- Tax refunds. When you file your taxes at a Liberty Tax location, you can elect to receive your refund on your Netspend Prepaid Mastercard.
- Reloads. Load cash onto your card at more than 130,000 locations across the US, though fees may apply.
- Mobile check deposits. You can use the Netspend app to deposit paper checks onto your prepaid Mastercard, though you may have to pay a fee.
Economic impact payments. Use this card to receive any future economic impact payments.
How can I contact Netspend?
There are a few different ways to contact Netspend if you have questions about your account.
- Call 866-387-7363 on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. or weekends from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT. But you can only speak with a live representative if you have an active Netspend account.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send mail to Netspend Corporation, PO Box 2136, Austin, TX 78768-2136.
- Reach out to Netspend support on Facebook or send a tweet @netspend on Twitter.