Navy Federal Credit Union auto loans review
Auto financing for new and used vehicles for military members and their families.
finder.com’s rating: 3.8 / 5.0
Navy Federal Credit Union serves US service members by offering auto loans at competitive rates. You can even find financing for other vehicles like motorcycles and RVs. But its history of bad collection tactics and customer complaints, might have.
1.79% (As low as)
First, do I qualify?
To be eligible for a Navy Federal auto loan, you must at least meet the following requirements:
- Member or eligible for membership
- Over 18
- US citizen or permanent resident
What types of car loans does Navy Federal Credit Union offer?
Navy Federal Credit Union offers a variety of auto loans to suit every need, including leisure time.
- New car loans. Terms up to 96 months.
- Late-model used car loans. Terms up to 72 months.
- Used car loans.Terms up to 72 months.
- Auto loan refinancing. Refinancing terms and rates reflect those of new and used car loans.
Navy Federal 2018 definitions for new, late-model used and used cars.
- New cars are models from 2017 and less than 7,499 miles.
- Late-model used cars are models from 2017 with 7,500 to 30,000 miles.
- Used cars are models from 2016 and earlier, or any car with over 30,000 miles.
Navy Federal Credit Union auto loan rates
Rates can vary depending on the type of vehicle you’re buying or refinancing. Longer loan terms also have higher starting APRs.
|Type of loan||Starting APR|
|New car loan||2.99%|
|Used car loan||4.99%|
|Late model used car loan||3.29%|
Other vehicle financing options
In addition to car loans, Navy Federal Credit Union offers financing for a wide variety of other types of vehicles.
- Motorcycle and moped loans
- Watercraft loans
- RV loans
- ATV loans
- Snowmobile loans
- Travel trailer loans
Rates start at 1.79% for boat loans with terms up to 180 months. Loans for a motorcycle loans start at 7.25% APR with terms up to 84 months. All other vehicle start at 8.09% APR with terms up to 180 months.
What are the benefits of Navy Federal Credit Union auto loans?
- Discounts for active duty and retired military members. If you sign up for the Navy Federal Direct Deposit program, active-duty and retired military members will receive a 0.25% APR discount on their new car, motorcycle or boat loan.
- Financing for recreational vehicles. Navy Federal Credit Union offers financing for motorcycles, boats and RVs in addition to car loans.
- Live chat. You can get in touch without having to pick up the phone if you just have a quick question.
- Coapplicants welcome. Navy Federal allows joint ownership of a loan, which can be important when it comes to big assets — especially if you’re married.
- Preapproval. If you’re still shopping for a car, you may be able to qualify for preapproval to give yourself a negotiating tool.
What to watch out for
- Limited membership. Though it’s expanded its membership criteria, it’s still fairly narrow compared to other lenders.
- Poorly rated customer service. The general sentiment around the customer support provided is rather poor despite the 24-hour availability.
- Past debt collection issues. In 2016, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) ordered Navy Federal to pay over $28 million in settlements to members and penalties for “improper debt collection actions.”
- Long terms are extra-expensive. This lender is one of a handful that charges higher rates for longer terms, meaning you’ll pay interest for longer at a higher rate.
Compare more car loan offers
How do I apply?
If you’re not already a member of Navy Federal Credit Union, you’ll need to apply for membership. In order to qualify, you’ll need to be a past or present service member or DoD employee, or a family or household member of one.
For a motorcycle, boat or leisure vehicle loan, you’ll need to call Navy Federal or visit a branch. Yo can also apply for auto loans online by following these steps:
- Visit the Navy Federal Credit Union website.
- Hover your cursor over Loans & Credit Cards.
- Select Auto Loans.
- Select Apply Now.
- Sign into your online account.
- Complete the required information.
You may need to submit additional documentation. Turnaround times will vary based on several factors, including whether you’re fully applying or just seeking preapproval.
What credit score do I need to get a Navy Federal Credit Union auto loan?
Navy Federal Credit Union doesn’t advertise a minimum credit score for its car loans. But you might have an easier time qualifying if you have good or excellent credit. Good credit generally means having a credit score of 670 or higher.
What documents do I need to apply?
To apply for an auto loan when you’ve already selected a car, you’ll need the following:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle
- Vehicle’s exact mileage
- State where you’ll register the vehicle
- Dealer or seller’s name
- Trade-in information, if applicable
- Full amount that you’re financing
- Term of the loan
If you’re applying with a co-applicant, you’ll also need to provide:
- Your coapplicant’s name, phone number and email
- Your coapplicant’s housing, employment and income information
Double check the full price.
Remember to include taxes, tags, title, warranty and any other relevant applicable fees when calculating the cost of your purchase.
I got the Navy Federal Credit Union auto loan. Now what?
You’re ready to hit the road, but it may be best to first set up payments to keep you rolling. Payments can be made through the Navy Federal app or online using the website. You can also set up automatic payments via ACH.
Fees vary, so make sure you look over your loan document to find out just how much you might get stuck with for late or returned payments. Should you have a question about your loan, a bill or anything else related to Navy Federal, you can contact customer service by live chat, email, phone or in person. You’ll also find Navy Federal on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube if you want to get social.
Low starting rates, potential discounts and long terms can be appealing for those who qualify, although not all members will qualify for the best rates — if any. Those looking for outstanding customer service may also have a hard time finding it with Navy Federal. Take your time and compare your options with our guide to car loans before you settle on any one provider.
Interested in other loans offered by Navy Federal? Members can apply for a host of different loans, including several types of auto loans, and may qualify for special discounts.
Frequently asked questions
Car loan ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rate car loan providers on a scale of 1 to 5 stars based on factors like transparency, costs and customer experience. We don’t take into account elements like eligibility criteria, state availability or payment frequency — we save that for our reviews.