Nationwide renters insurance review
Rely on wide protection built into your policy or boost coverage for even more security.
- Get a quote if you need broad personal belongings coverage.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for the lowest rates.
- Many renters can apply.
44 states (available everywhere except AK FL HI LA MA NJ & NM)
- Free coverage and helpful add-ons
- Top provider in the industry
- Local agents available
- Inflation protection
- Contents replacement coverage a bit misleading
- Below average customer satisfaction
- Not the lowest rates
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Nationwide stands at the top in the property insurance industry, backing your coverage with experience and stability.
You’ll also get a wide variety of coverage with freebies like food spoilage, business property protection and separate limits for cameras, jewelry and firearms. Some insurers offer these types of coverage as add-ons. Nationwide includes it at no cost with protection against inflation during your policy’s term.
On the flipside, the company doesn’t have the highest customer satisfaction ratings compared to other renters insurers. Although its local agents add a personal touch, online companies can offset that benefit with lower rates. If Nationwide’s benefits don’t line up with your priorities, consider other renters insurance providers.
What renters insurance coverage does Nationwide offer?
You’ll find a variety of coverage including:
- Personal liability including injuries, slander, libel and false arrest
- Personal property at your own or other residences
- Loss of use
- Medical payments to others
- Tools, cameras, jewelry, firearms and silverware with separate coverage limits for each
- Building additions and alterations to protect added fixtures you install yourself
- Freezer food spoilage
- Debris and tree removal
- Money and securities for losing money or important documents, like passports, deeds or tickets
- Limited credit card coverage
- Loss assessment up to $1,000 of coverage for damage to shared spaces in apartments, condos or HOAs
- Biological deterioration and damage caused by mold, algae, bacteria, fungi and wet or dry rot
- Limited business property
- Bringing your rental up to local building ordinances or codes
What add-ons can I get with Nationwide?
Nationwide delivers on coverage that goes beyond what you’d expect from a renters policy. Optional protection includes:
- New belongings replacement. Pay for brand new replacements of damaged personal items. However, you’ll get paid the depreciated value first and get reimbursed for the new items after submitting your receipt.
- Protection boost. Accept boosted protection to raise limits on special items like cameras, food spoilage or tree removal.
- Identity theft protection. Receive services to help you stop identity theft and pay expenses related to restoring your name.
- Valuables. Cover high-dollar items like fine art, jewelry or antiques.
- Theft extension. Protect your personal belongings even if they’re left in your car, trailer or boat.
- Water backup. Pay for damage caused by backed up drains or sewers.
- Earthquake. Cover your personal items up to your policy limit when damaged by an earthquake or volcano.
What renters insurance discounts can I get with Nationwide?
You could qualify for a few renters discounts, such as:
- Bundling policies
- Protective devices, like fire or theft alarms and smoke detectors
- Marital status
Pros and cons of Nationwide renters insurance
- Free coverage and helpful add-ons. Nationwide includes coverage like mold cleanup you won’t find with every renters policy. Plus, you get many options to add extra protection.
- Top provider in the industry. The company stands among the top 10 providers for home insurance by market share.
- Local agents available. While many renter insurers stick to online service only, Nationwide gives you personal service with local agents.
- Includes inflation protection. Nationwide policies automatically adjust limits to account for inflation during your term, not a common benefit for renters insurance.
- Contents replacement coverage is a bit misleading. Your replacement cost coverage may involve repairing your items rather than replacing in some cases.
- Below average customer satisfaction. As of November 2019, Nationwide is rated 1 out of 5 stars with the Better Business Bureau’s customer ratings. It also scores 2 out of 5 stars on the 2019 J.D. Power Renters Insurance study. However, Nationwide keeps an A+ with its BBB business rating.
- Not the lowest rates. Online insurers may offer more competitive premiums for renters looking for the lowest rates.
How to apply for Nationwide renters insurance
Get a renters policy with Nationwide in several ways: online, by phone or in person.
- Go to the Nationwide website
- Click Insurance and protection, then click Renters.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Start your quote.
- Enter personal information about yourself and your rental. Click Continue.
- View discounts available, see your initial quote and edit coverage levels. Click Continue.
- Set a policy date and click Continue.
- Answer additional questions about your home. Click Continue.
- Confirm your information for accuracy, accept your policy and enter payment details.
Phone. Call customer service at 877-669-6877 for phone assistance.
Local agent. Search through the agency directory for an agent near you, and consider the star ratings to get the best customer experience.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance?
Breeze through your renters policy application with this information handy:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Marital status
- Home address
- Home type and safety features
- Policy start date
- Coverage needed
- Payment details