Nationwide home insurance review
Bulk up your home protection with unique options you won’t find with other insurers.
- Get a quote if
- Pick something else if top customer service is a must.
- Homeowners with new or renovated homes may get the best premium.
44 states (available everywhere except AK FL HI LA MA NJ & NM)
- Wide protection
- Inflation protection
- Online quotes and claims
- Equipment breakdown and replacement cost coverage
- Subpar customer ratings
- Some misleading advertising
- No policy changes through the app
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Optional|
Sarah George is a personal finance writer at Finder who’s spent the last four years wielding her digital pen on all things banking and insurance. Her know-how has been featured in such publications as CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, and she was a panelist in Finder’s 2020 money-saving webinar. Sarah earned an English education degree and is a Certified Educator in Personal Finance.
Nationwide has a unique and useful offering that includes equipment breakdown, credit card fraud or replacement cost coverage. It also provides online quotes and automatically boosts your policy limits to keep up with inflation.
However, you can’t change your policy online, and the insurer has a poor reputation for customer service. If you value those two things, it’s worth comparing home insurance providers.
What home insurance coverage does Nationwide offer?
Nationwide keeps a balanced list of standard and optional coverage for well-rounded protection. Coverage you can choose:
- Personal liability
- Personal injury liability
- Medical payments
- Other structures
- Replacement cost plus increases dwelling coverage limits up to 20%.
- Water backup
- Contents including full replacement coverage for repair or brand new belongings
- Valuable personal property
- Better roof replacement
- Loss of use
- Additional biological deterioration or damage cleanup and removal for mold, algae, bacteria, fungi, wet or dry rot
- Update your home to new building codes without paying out of pocket
- Identity theft
- Loss for theft of credit or debit card number, ATM information, forged checks or counterfeit money
- Renovation building material theft
- Protection boost to increase the limits on specific items for liability coverage
- Flood insurance
- Equipment breakdown replacement up to $50,000. Plus get an extra 25% of your limit to replace with eco-friendly equipment, and up to $3,000 to clean pollutants or replace with energy efficient equipment.
What home insurance discounts can I get with Nationwide?
Nab several helpful discounts with Nationwide, including:
- Claims free
- Gated community when protected by key-lock devices, residence cards or security guards
- New home purchased in the last 12 months
- Home renovation credit for updating your home’s cooling and heating, electrical, heating or plumbing system
- Multipolicy bundling
- Prior insurance
- Protective device including smoke detectors, fire alarms and theft alarms
- Roof age and materials
Pros and cons of Nationwide home insurance
- Wide protection. Have your pick of coverage from home to roof and the tools in your garage.
- Inflation protection included. Nationwide automatically increases your policy limits to match inflation during your term.
- Online quotes and claims. Get the convenience of shopping or making a claim online or by phone. Some claims might not even need a home visit to be settled.
- Equipment breakdown and replacement cost coverage. Rare standout coverage options include replacing your expensive appliances and home at today’s cost.
- Subpar customer ratings. Of almost 100 customer ratings, Nationwide’s average score was 1 out of 5 stars on the Better Business Bureau. It also scored 2 out of 5 stars for overall satisfaction with J.D. Power.
- Some misleading advertising. Some wording could be confusing, like the Brand New Belongings coverage that repairs an item instead of replacing it.
- No policy changes through the app. You can view your policy information online, but you can’t add or edit coverage without a representative’s help.
How to apply for Nationwide home insurance
Follow several steps to get started with your Nationwide home policy:
- From the homeowners page, click to Get a quote. Then, enter your ZIP code in the dropdown and click Start your quote.
- Evaluate questions about your home that may require you to get a phone quote. Click to Get a quote.
- Enter basic personal information and accept the disclosure. Click Continue.
- Fill in information about your home and click Continue.
- Answer questions about your home’s safety features. Click Continue.
- Receive your quote, accept add-ons or edit coverage. Choose to Begin purchase.
- Review your information, choose your start date and enter payment details. Finally, confirm your purchase.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Nationwide?
Besides providing personal and contact info, make applying simpler by rounding up some information beforehand:
- Marital status
- Date of home purchase
- Number of residents
- Number of years with current home insurer
- Home safety features
- Coverage needs
- Policy start date
- Payment details